CDZ lab grown meat : a great investment, due to climate change

I've been a vegetarian since I was about 5-years old.

I'm not a hippy or a pontificating leftie (before anyone jumps at me on it) - I don't care if people eat animals.

My reason for it is pretty lame. When I was 5 my Grandmother knew a guy that worked in a meat market joined onto a Slaughterhouse in Glasgow.

She had the bright idea one day, taking me as a 5-year old, to the meat market, to see the man she knew to buy meat.

I've no idea why she thought that would be a good idea because the minute I seen the guys with white coats covered in blood and animals strung up on hooks all skinned and seen the sheep, lambs, cows etc getting ushered up the ramp into the abattoir section then it traumatised me to the point that any time I've tried to put it past my lips since, I've gagged.

So my reasons are purely because I'm really fussy and squeamish rather than any morality reasons.

My outlook has always been that if no-one ate meat, then the animals wouldn't have had their time spent alive in the first instance and any life that they have anyway - however I do feel strongly about humane slaughter. Everyone should unless they're a complete sociopath or something.

There's also something to be said about welfare while they're alive and the focus shouldn't only be on the end part of their life. People get up in arms over the killing part but probably ignore the factory farming and other farming practices (not saying all farms and practices are bad btw)

The point I'm getting too (in regards this lab-grown/plant-based meat) is simply if this stuff can be produced with such simplicity in a factory and it takes off and eventually replaces meat you're essentially collapsing major markets all over the world into recession. If this production eventually reaches a peak-point then jobs such as farming, butchering, abattoir work, packing plants etc all vanish over night and everything that's directly attached to the industry like farm equipment sales, feed lots, factory equipment - the list is endless - the only parts of the supply chain that will be kept and aligned would be the likes of transporting the new product in place of the meat.

I know that endgame is a long way away and will probably never happen, but I often wonder if the utopians get their way, then how do they compensate for that? unemployment would go up by millions IMO - would there be something to counter and offset that?

Thanks for sharing your story. What you said reminded me of this saying:

child-apple-340-2.jpg
You never took a kid hutting before?

Hunting? Nope. I know that's a somewhat controversial topic and I don't want to open up that whole can of worms... but I think it's better to teach kids compassion and mercy. Kids naturally love animals, so the callousness that comes later in life is not natural, it is taught / conditioned.

Back to the topic do you know if lab meat is protein or just veggies?

I'm no expert, but lab grown meat is actual meat... just created in a lab. (So it's good for people who like meat but don't like the ethical or environmental issues that go along with it.)

Veggie burgers are an entirely different story, they are made with all plantbased ingredients.
Yes. Lab grown meat is grown from a single cell of muscle so an animal doesnt have to die or even suffer.

It's easier to grow something like processed hotdog meat than a burger or stake, because they include fat cells and other textures you cant just "grow." That takes processing

I've made "chicken nuggets" out of tofu. It's really easy.

I've also made a burger out of banana peels believe it or not. I only did this as an experiment, but youd be surprised that 5he flavor and texture really does taste like a burger.
Just eat less. Studies show that rats who are fed less live longer. IMO it doesn't matter so much what you eat as how much. Also work for your food.

I've been a vegetarian since I was about 5-years old.

I'm not a hippy or a pontificating leftie (before anyone jumps at me on it) - I don't care if people eat animals.

My reason for it is pretty lame. When I was 5 my Grandmother knew a guy that worked in a meat market joined onto a Slaughterhouse in Glasgow.

She had the bright idea one day, taking me as a 5-year old, to the meat market, to see the man she knew to buy meat.

I've no idea why she thought that would be a good idea because the minute I seen the guys with white coats covered in blood and animals strung up on hooks all skinned and seen the sheep, lambs, cows etc getting ushered up the ramp into the abattoir section then it traumatised me to the point that any time I've tried to put it past my lips since, I've gagged.

So my reasons are purely because I'm really fussy and squeamish rather than any morality reasons.

My outlook has always been that if no-one ate meat, then the animals wouldn't have had their time spent alive in the first instance and any life that they have anyway - however I do feel strongly about humane slaughter. Everyone should unless they're a complete sociopath or something.

There's also something to be said about welfare while they're alive and the focus shouldn't only be on the end part of their life. People get up in arms over the killing part but probably ignore the factory farming and other farming practices (not saying all farms and practices are bad btw)

The point I'm getting too (in regards this lab-grown/plant-based meat) is simply if this stuff can be produced with such simplicity in a factory and it takes off and eventually replaces meat you're essentially collapsing major markets all over the world into recession. If this production eventually reaches a peak-point then jobs such as farming, butchering, abattoir work, packing plants etc all vanish over night and everything that's directly attached to the industry like farm equipment sales, feed lots, factory equipment - the list is endless - the only parts of the supply chain that will be kept and aligned would be the likes of transporting the new product in place of the meat.

I know that endgame is a long way away and will probably never happen, but I often wonder if the utopians get their way, then how do they compensate for that? unemployment would go up by millions IMO - would there be something to counter and offset that?

Thanks for sharing your story. What you said reminded me of this saying:

child-apple-340-2.jpg
You never took a kid hutting before?

Hunting? Nope. I know that's a somewhat controversial topic and I don't want to open up that whole can of worms... but I think it's better to teach kids compassion and mercy. Kids naturally love animals, so the callousness that comes later in life is not natural, it is taught / conditioned.

Back to the topic do you know if lab meat is protein or just veggies?

I'm no expert, but lab grown meat is actual meat... just created in a lab. (So it's good for people who like meat but don't like the ethical or environmental issues that go along with it.)

Veggie burgers are an entirely different story, they are made with all plantbased ingredients.

buttercup

You are so ideologically biased that you couldn't tell up from down, hot from cold, or left from right.

You have a one track mind.

Go have a steak.

Last edited:
Yes. Lab grown meat is grown from a single cell of muscle so an animal doesnt have to die or even suffer.
Stem cell.

And it is "grown" in a medium consisting of what?

FBS (Fetal Bovine Serum)

Where do they acquire that?

Of course they get it from the blood of pregnant cows' fetuses when they are slaughtered.

Last edited:
water, pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, rice protein, natural flavors, cocoa butter, mung bean protein, methylcellulose, potato starch, apple extract, salt, potassium chloride, vinegar, lemon juice concentrate, sunflower lecithin, pomegranate fruit powder, and beet juice extract

Beet juice? Apple extract? Pomegranate fruit powder? Vinegar? Lemon juice?

Yeah! Keep that unhealthy crap out of your body! :auiqs.jpg:
Did you ever wonder if there's a reason they need to buy truckloads of synthetic methylcellulose laxative from Koch in order to produce the fake meat???

I won't even use that as an admixture in concrete unless it's going to be permanently underground.

Last edited:
I hate to make a Captain Obvious statement, but not everyone lives where you live, and not every place in the world has the same amount of rain. In California there was a drought for many years.

And I'm sorry, but I don't see chickens and cows as appetizing anymore, after what I've seen and learned. :dunno:

I have no desire to eat dead bodies.... especially the corpses of sick, antibiotic and pesticide-laden abused and tortured animals.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not stopping you.

There's nothing wrong with your fascinating desire for mystery meat.

I get your repulsion towards garbage you had to learn about, because you didn't know where it came from, or how it got there.
I personally recommend people grow or kill as much of their own food as possible.

I know not everyone lives where I live, or is willing to learn how to feed themselves without a laboratory.
I was just commenting, in a round about way, on how it sucks to be you.

If you think laboratory made mystery meat is more appetizing than a chicken coming off the smoker after five hours ...
It's probably because you aren't worth a shit at cooking either ... :thup:

I hate to make a Captain Obvious statement, but not everyone lives where you live, and not every place in the world has the same amount of rain. In California there was a drought for many years.

And I'm sorry, but I don't see chickens and cows as appetizing anymore, after what I've seen and learned. :dunno:

I have no desire to eat dead bodies.... especially the corpses of sick, antibiotic and pesticide-laden abused and tortured animals.

I get your repulsion towards garbage you had to learn about, because you didn't know where it came from, or how it got there.
I personally recommend people grow or kill as much of their own food as possible.

I know not everyone lives where I live, or is willing to learn how to feed themselves without a laboratory.

If you think laboratory made mystery meat is more appetizing than a chicken coming off the smoker after five hours ...

Please point out where I ever said that I eat lab grown meat. I'll wait.

Maybe you were conflating lab grown meat with veggie burgers? lol. Veggie burgers are not made in a lab, in fact some people make them homemade, all it is is using plant-based ingredients instead of a chopped up corpse.

But FTR, I rarely eat veggie burgers because they don't sell the kind I like where I live, and sometimes I buy a different brand but it's expensive, so it's not something I eat often.

So I'm sorry to spoil your attempt at a jab but I eat mostly healthy, simple whole foods…if I do eat something processed, it is the exception, not the rule. I care about my health, which is why I try to stick with foods that are natural, GROWN from the ground, and from God.

As for the last thing you said... again sorry to spoil your attempt at an insult, but wrong again. I never used to cook back when I was a flesh eater, but in the last 5 years as a vegan, amazingly I have developed a love for cooking, and I'm good at it, if I do say so myself. I'm still learning, but going from someone who almost never cooked to someone who cooks all the time and enjoys it has been one of the many benefits of going vegan.

Did you ever wonder if there's a reason they need to buy truckloads of synthetic methylcellulose laxative from Koch in order to produce the fake meat???
methylcellulose is a harmless derivative of CELLULOSE.

You found that in the entire list of things you find "revolting."
You come across as hysterical when you list these natural plant products.

But all this complaining about lab grown meat!

Did you know you cant even buy it? It's not even available to the consumer.

And nobody is forcing you to buy it.
No, you dont have to worry about eating beet juice, mung beans, or anything else that makes you hysterical

I think it is not only climate change that will accelerate the growth of lab grown meat, but a change in attitude towards meat. The animal rights moment is intended to grow and many people, especially young people, are looking for an alternative. The environmental impact of the beef industry is also having an affect. The burning of the Amazon for cattle farms is turning people off to beef.

The question is, as consumers turn away from meat will they also turn away from lab grown meat?

Don’t get me wrong, I like a good steak, but those are the trends. They are not bad trends either in my view.

I will try lab grown meat. If it is as good as real beef, I will change.

It just opens the door for forcing it on us.
Yeah, like cars and radio and television and computers and....

Maybe you were conflating lab grown meat with veggie burgers? lol. Veggie burgers are not made in a lab, in fact some people make them homemade, all it is is using plant-based ingredients instead of a chopped up corpse.

But FTR, I rarely eat veggie burgers because they don't sell the kind I like where I live, and sometimes I buy a different brand but it's expensive, so it's not something I eat often.

So I'm sorry to spoil your attempt at a jab but I eat mostly healthy, simple whole foods…if I do eat something processed, it is the exception, not the rule. I care about my health, which is why I try to stick with foods that are natural, GROWN from the ground, and from God.

As for the last thing you said... again sorry to spoil your attempt at an insult, but wrong again. I never used to cook back when I was a flesh eater, but in the last 5 years as a vegan, amazingly I have developed a love for cooking, and I'm good at it, if I do say so myself. I'm still learning, but going from someone who almost never cooked to someone who cooks all the time and enjoys it has been one of the many benefits of going vegan.

Were you hoping for some emotional response in your use of terms like "corpse" and flesh eater"?

Were you hoping for some emotional response in your use of terms like "corpse" and flesh eater"?
Probably, any response would do, and you are due thanks for having complied.

I think it is not only climate change that will accelerate the growth of lab grown meat, but a change in attitude towards meat. The animal rights moment is intended to grow and many people, especially young people, are looking for an alternative. The environmental impact of the beef industry is also having an affect. The burning of the Amazon for cattle farms is turning people off to beef.

The question is, as consumers turn away from meat will they also turn away from lab grown meat?

Don’t get me wrong, I like a good steak, but those are the trends. They are not bad trends either in my view.

The BIGGER question is WHY WOULD YOU GIVE UP REAL MEAT if the artificial stuff is no better? I KNOW what I'm getting with real meat, who the fuck knows what you are eating with the fake stuff, just that it LOOKS close to meat and TASTES close to meat means nothing.

For me to eat fake meat, it would have to be :
  1. Proven independently (not USDA) to be 100% safe (as safe as meat).
  2. Be cheaper.
  3. Be better for me or taste better or both.
  4. Be better for the environment.
I've bought and eaten a few vege burger patties and they are OK but they are NOT MEAT. I'm under no allusions that I'm not eating soy protein complex bullshit.

The day the world bans real meat and I'm forced to eat fake stuff, I'll just go back to being a vegetarian. I've done it before and I can do it again. Fuck the fake.

The BIGGER question is WHY WOULD YOU GIVE UP REAL MEAT if the artificial stuff is no better? I KNOW what I'm getting with real meat, who the fuck knows what you are eating with the fake stuff, just that it LOOKS close to meat and TASTES close to meat means nothing.

For me to eat fake meat, it would have to be :
  1. Proven independently (not USDA) to be 100% safe (as safe as meat).
  2. Be cheaper.
  3. Be better for me or taste better or both.
  4. Be better for the environment.
I've bought and eaten a few vege burger patties and they are OK but they are NOT MEAT. I'm under no allusions that I'm not eating soy protein complex bullshit.

The day the world bans real meat and I'm forced to eat fake stuff, I'll just go back to being a vegetarian. I've done it before and I can do it again. Fuck the fake.
1. "Real meat" kills. It may take decades but it kills

2. Would you eat your dog or cat if you have other options? For some of us, it is about not hurting God's creation. You've just been trained to think of certain sentient creatures different than your cat or dog.

3. "Fake" meat includes many things. It could be 100% vegetable based, or it could be animal muscle cells grown in a lab. BUT THESE ARE NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE TO THE CONSUMER

4. PERSONALLY, I've made the decision not to kill a sentient being as a food source. I will also not be part of causing it to suffer for a lifetime because I think it tastes good. A personal choice for me.

Forum List

Back