LA Times says CA has only a year of water. I say toss the 10 million illegals and problem solved

Personally, my beef is golf courses keep their lawn nice and green so a bunch of rich people can knock a ball from a stick into a hole a mile away. Our farmers need that water to grow crops that feed many states. Fuck the golf courses.

What the problem is....NOT ENOUGH DESALINATION PLANTS. The whole coast is nothing but water. Salt water. WTF that they haven't built more.

Fourth desal plant mothballed. Billions more wasted

Expensive desalination plants in Queensland, NSW and Victoria have all been mothballed without producing a drop of water. All were built in preference to much cheaper dams, in part because of green bans and in part because warming preachers claimed the rains would not return.

Add a fourth desalination plant:

COMMONWEALTH Auditor-General Ian McPhee has been asked to investigate $328 million in federal funds handed over to the South Australian Labor government for its $2.2 billion mothballed desalination plant and pipeline.

Federal Labor initially provided $100m for a 50 gigalitre plant, then announced an extra $228m to double its size…

Under the original deal for extra funding, South Australia was to “reduce reliance” on the Murray by drawing less water from the river once the 100GL plant was fully operational, expected in December. The decision saw the cost blow out from $500m for the smaller option to $2.2bn, when pipe work was included, for the larger plant, with water bills for consumers trebling since 2008 to pay for it.

Five desal plants have been built in Australia. Only Perth’s is used.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/..._desal_plant_mothballed_billions_more_wasted/

A simpler, cheaper and way more drastic solution is to make mock ups of FL water front hotels and you too can have cyclonic magnets like the two towns in FL with the nickname X marks the spot. That kind of inadvertent creation of upper level low pressure zones should work even better. And your cyclone code best make Florida's hurricane code look like California's

Let's get George Soros to finance a railroad company to transport water from the Mississippi River across the Rockies and charge Californians by the ounce...or build a pipeline from the Great Lakes to the Continental Divide with pumping stations along the way. Take ALL of the gold in California to pay for it.

Either that or sit back and laugh our asses off at the silliest state in the union!

The only bad thing about the failure of California is that the current residents are moving out and infesting other areas.

I have been rationing. I just cut my yard in half AGAIN this morning. So now I am using only 1/4th of it. I water the fruit trees but letting the grass die in the 3/4th section.
I do what I can. I like california. But if I could move to oregon or washington I would in a heart beat. Gotta have my pacific ocean.
Last time I checked the Pacific goes all the way to the border with Canada and beyond...So moving north, would not endanger your view of the Pacific....No shit.
Ok, I'm jst trying to be funny.....Seriously though, I believe it is just So Cal that is effected by drought. The northern half is fine.

What the problem is....NOT ENOUGH DESALINATION PLANTS. The whole coast is nothing but water. Salt water. WTF that they haven't built more.
Does California have De SAL plants? If not, they had better get busy.
Florida is ahead of the game. In fact I think most of Tampa's water comes from the Gulf of Mexico....
There is no excuse for a coastal area that large to have a water problem.....California has never been a good manager of it's resources. The state has engaged in water fights for over a century.

Article lists 3 things to be done but none of them address the horde of illegal invaders. Kick them out (as the law requires) and the drought problem would be solved overnight.

California has about one year of water left. Will you ration now - LA Times

march 12 2015

As our “wet” season draws to a close, it is clear that the paltry rain and snowfall have done almost nothing to alleviate epic drought conditions. January was the driest in California since record-keeping began in 1895. Groundwater and snowpack levels are at all-time lows.

As difficult as it may be to face, the simple fact is that California is running out of water — and the problem started before our current drought. NASA data reveal that total water storage in California has been in steady decline since at least 2002, when satellite-based monitoring began, although groundwater depletion has been going on since the early 20th century.
Right now the state has only about one year of water supply left in its reservoirs, and our strategic backup supply, groundwater, is rapidly disappearing. California has no contingency plan for a persistent drought like this one (let alone a 20-plus-year mega-drought), except, apparently, staying in emergency mode and praying for rain.

550x309
i thought the Spacific Ocean was the bathtub for illegals.

Fourth desal plant mothballed. Billions more wasted

Expensive desalination plants in Queensland, NSW and Victoria have all been mothballed without producing a drop of water. All were built in preference to much cheaper dams, in part because of green bans and in part because warming preachers claimed the rains would not return.

Add a fourth desalination plant:

COMMONWEALTH Auditor-General Ian McPhee has been asked to investigate $328 million in federal funds handed over to the South Australian Labor government for its $2.2 billion mothballed desalination plant and pipeline.

Federal Labor initially provided $100m for a 50 gigalitre plant, then announced an extra $228m to double its size…

Under the original deal for extra funding, South Australia was to “reduce reliance” on the Murray by drawing less water from the river once the 100GL plant was fully operational, expected in December. The decision saw the cost blow out from $500m for the smaller option to $2.2bn, when pipe work was included, for the larger plant, with water bills for consumers trebling since 2008 to pay for it.

Five desal plants have been built in Australia. Only Perth’s is used.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/..._desal_plant_mothballed_billions_more_wasted/
And this has to do with what?

Article lists 3 things to be done but none of them address the horde of illegal invaders. Kick them out (as the law requires) and the drought problem would be solved overnight.

march 12 2015

As our “wet” season draws to a close, it is clear that the paltry rain and snowfall have done almost nothing to alleviate epic drought conditions. January was the driest in California since record-keeping began in 1895. Groundwater and snowpack levels are at all-time lows.

As difficult as it may be to face, the simple fact is that California is running out of water — and the problem started before our current drought. NASA data reveal that total water storage in California has been in steady decline since at least 2002, when satellite-based monitoring began, although groundwater depletion has been going on since the early 20th century.
Right now the state has only about one year of water supply left in its reservoirs, and our strategic backup supply, groundwater, is rapidly disappearing. California has no contingency plan for a persistent drought like this one (let alone a 20-plus-year mega-drought), except, apparently, staying in emergency mode and praying for rain.

550x309
but how? al gore said that by now california would of been under water after the south pole melted and 345 million penguins would of be floating on sheets of ice.

Does California have De SAL plants? If not, they had better get busy.
Florida is ahead of the game. In fact I think most of Tampa's water comes from the Gulf of Mexico....
There is no excuse for a coastal area that large to have a water problem.....California has never been a good manager of it's resources. The state has engaged in water fights for over a century.
We have ships with desalination plants that could easily pump potable water into distribution systems all along the coast. Need more de-sal water...?...build more floating plants (on seaworthy ships) and move them around as needed.

Personally, my beef is golf courses keep their lawn nice and green so a bunch of rich people can knock a ball from a stick into a hole a mile away. Our farmers need that water to grow crops that feed many states. Fuck the golf courses.
Actually most of those green golf courses are that way because of new strains of turf grasses, reduction in the number of irrigation heads required for efficient watering. Use of well water and the latest thing is use of non potable water which is either treated run off or treated waste water.
Unfortunately, these grades of water cannot be used on crops for human consumption....
One of the problems with California's water IS the farmers....They are using water they should not have to use but they insist the new irrigation technologies are too expensive.
And there are. ancient water treaties with other states that the farmers jealously guard like a Grizzly Bear Sow guards her cubs..
BTW, most of those 'farmers' are not family farmers like the stereotypical guy who is working the same 300 acres his great great grandfather started with, 250 years ago....No, most crop is grown by gigantic corporate farming conglomerates....Here a list.
Monsanto and Con Agra are the two most well known corporate/commercial farm co's

march 12 2015

550x309
but how? al gore said that by now california would of been under water after the south pole melted and 345 million penguins would of be floating on sheets of ice.
The Penguins were eaten by the sea lions....

Let's get George Soros to finance a railroad company to transport water from the Mississippi River across the Rockies and charge Californians by the ounce...or build a pipeline from the Great Lakes to the Continental Divide with pumping stations along the way. Take ALL of the gold in California to pay for it.

Either that or sit back and laugh our asses off at the silliest state in the union!

The only bad thing about the failure of California is that the current residents are moving out and infesting other areas.
Still better than NY'ers moving to other areas, and going on about their pizza. But to my long dead relatives in Vermont, NY'ers had one redeeming feature - their wallets and gullibility.

Still better than NY'ers moving to other areas, and going on about their pizza. But to my long dead relatives in Vermont, NY'ers had one redeeming feature - their wallets and gullibility.
Some say the post war carpetbaggers were better for the south than cotton...easier to pick clean.

Regardless of who and what....the problem needs to be resolved. Fast.

I'm going to put a new trash can on the other side of the wall where the washer is. Inform the roomies they must use a biodegradable laundry soap from now and use that water for the garden.

Regardless of who and what....the problem needs to be resolved. Fast.

I'm going to put a new trash can on the other side of the wall where the washer is. Inform the roomies they must use a biodegradable laundry soap from now and use that water for the garden.
The Romans used aqueducts.

CA;s water problem may be a direct result of its desertification of its alpine biomes by siphoning the Owens Valley, which affects the water table, ultimately evaporation which feeds the high Sierra storms necessary for building snowpack. The vicious cycle includes the shrinking glaciers in the high mountains which feed the streams in Summer that feed the reservoirs that feed the Central Valley's ever climbing temps as the cycle escalates.

A systematic restoration of the Owen's water table and Mono Lake would be one of the magic bullets to reverse the cycle and restore CA's potential. Many downstream tracks of land..or rather, down-canal, would be able to be utilized again. Much of it now sits fallow, going back to semi-desert. This is the area around Bakersfield which is now mainly used for cattle grazing. But cows need water too. Some tracts have been reclaimed in recent years to crops but there is much still sitting dry around the oil field area.

Desalination could feed a line into the Owen's Valley and restore it back to the Owen's Lake it used to be before LA scammed the region by land buyouts. It also could feed many local municipal reservoirs in So Cal.

Could call it "operation reverse the LA Aquaduct.

Last edited:
California is the 7th biggest economy in the world. A very diverse economy, ranging from silicon valley to truck farms. It also has a climate that is extremely vulneble to weather swings. Records of long droughts and huge floods.

Yet we see our 'Conservatives' taking joy in the fact that they are currently in a drought situation. What a sad reflection that is on the mental state of such people.

Sillhoutte, I hope that your company has a good economical solution. But, even it it does, it will be fought tooth and nail by the 'Conservtives' simply because it has solar in it's name.

U.S. Drought Monitor

U.S. Drought Monitor U.S. Drought Portal

For those of you that really have not looked at what is happening in the West, take a good look at this map. All of California, Nevada, and Utah are in drought. Better than 2/3 of Oregon, Arizona, and New Mexico are in drought. 1/2 of Washington state, Colorado, and Texas are in drought. And most of Okahoma is very dry right now. If this continues through the summer, you are not going to like the result at the grocery store this fall. In 1981, Dr. James Hansen made some very specific predictions concerning the coming droughts in the American Southwest. Unfortenately, he was correct.

Forum List

Back