LA Rams acquire Matthew Stafford for two 1st’s and a 3rd

Awful trade for the Rams.

The Rams were never going to reach the SB with Goff who is a skinny weak throwing quarterback. Stafford will give the Rams the better long pass option that didn't work well with with Goff, which is why the last 3 years the defenses more and more play up closer to the line to box in Goff's short passing game.

Stafford did better over all behind a porous offensive line than Goff did who enjoys much better pass rush blocking. support.

I understand your point...but the Rams already went to a Super Bowl with Goff.

I think Jimmy G could be better at escaping if he read the field a bit better. With quicker reads, or at least quicker decision making, he'd be better at seeing pressure IMO.

Yep. He is still light years ahead of a certain notorious predecessor, though. Kaepernick had million dollar legs but a ten cent brain. He couldn't even learn to check off from his primary receiver much less really read the whole defense, and this despite having Harbaugh as a coach.

I think Kaepernick got more crap than he deserved as a QB because of his non-game related stuff. I'm not saying he was anything more than average at reading a defense, but considering the trend to running QBs that is going on the past few years, he could have been a starter elsewhere if he'd been playing now instead of then (or if he'd been less controversial). Maybe another coaching staff could have helped with his decision making.

Then again, maybe Harbaugh and Roman got the best out of him that anyone could have and he would have never been starter-quality elsewhere. :dunno:

I think Jimmy G could be better at escaping if he read the field a bit better. With quicker reads, or at least quicker decision making, he'd be better at seeing pressure IMO.

Yep. He is still light years ahead of a certain notorious predecessor, though. Kaepernick had million dollar legs but a ten cent brain. He couldn't even learn to check off from his primary receiver much less really read the whole defense, and this despite having Harbaugh as a coach.

I think Kaepernick got more crap than he deserved as a QB because of his non-game related stuff. I'm not saying he was anything more than average at reading a defense, but considering the trend to running QBs that is going on the past few years, he could have been a starter elsewhere if he'd been playing now instead of then (or if he'd been less controversial). Maybe another coaching staff could have helped with his decision making.

Then again, maybe Harbaugh and Roman got the best out of him that anyone could have and he would have never been starter-quality elsewhere. :dunno:
I remember thinking at the time that instead of trying to make him into a pocket passer for which he was ill suited, they should have designed the offense around his actual abilities to a greater degree, instead. They could have utilized read options and other plays that turned him loose.

It's always that fear of quarterbacks getting injured, though.......

I cant' see the Niners as giving up what it takes for Watson, and Rogers is still pissed at them for not drafting him out of Cal, so it looks like another year of Jimmy G (or Mullins due to injury) for SF.

If Jimmy G can just stay healthy, I have no problem with him as the 49ers QB. Mullins and Beathard, however, aren't good enough to run the team.

Or maybe it's more accurate to say that Mullins and Beathard aren't good enough unless the rest of the team is fully healthy, too. Things probably would have gone better even without Jimmy G, had the 49ers not lost so many other starters during the year, too. 2020 was a pretty terrible year for the 49ers players' health.

So far it sounds as though the Texans won't let Watson go, anyway. But based on this Stafford trade, he'd probably take 4 or 5 1st round picks to get. Rogers will also likely remain in Green Bay, but would also take too much to get.

He's o.k., but the one thing he really lacks is escapability. Once the pocket starts to collapse, he's done. I wouldn't expect a running quarterback, per se, but at least he could learn how to step up to avoid trouble. Montana was very nimble, which made him the quarterback he was, but Jimmy G has absolutely NONE of that same ability.

Stafford outperformed Goff despite the weak offensive line he has to wortk with and no running back threat at all.

The Rams were never going to reach the SB with Goff who is a skinny weak throwing quarterback. Stafford will give the Rams the better long pass option that didn't work well with with Goff, which is why the last 3 years the defenses more and more play up closer to the line to box in Goff's short passing game.

Stafford did better over all behind a porous offensive line than Goff did who enjoys much better pass rush blocking. support.

And produced ZERO touchdowns in the process, but this was THREE years ago, they have been declining offensively since then, The Running game suffers in part because of Goffs weak downfield play, allowing the defense to be closer to the line that helps reduce the running game.

With Stafford they will be more spread out which opens up more running and passing routes with the defense more spread out.

I cant' see the Niners as giving up what it takes for Watson, and Rogers is still pissed at them for not drafting him out of Cal, so it looks like another year of Jimmy G (or Mullins due to injury) for SF.

If Jimmy G can just stay healthy, I have no problem with him as the 49ers QB. Mullins and Beathard, however, aren't good enough to run the team.

Or maybe it's more accurate to say that Mullins and Beathard aren't good enough unless the rest of the team is fully healthy, too. Things probably would have gone better even without Jimmy G, had the 49ers not lost so many other starters during the year, too. 2020 was a pretty terrible year for the 49ers players' health.

So far it sounds as though the Texans won't let Watson go, anyway. But based on this Stafford trade, he'd probably take 4 or 5 1st round picks to get. Rogers will also likely remain in Green Bay, but would also take too much to get.

He's o.k., but the one thing he really lacks is escapability. Once the pocket starts to collapse, he's done. I wouldn't expect a running quarterback, per se, but at least he could learn how to step up to avoid trouble. Montana was very nimble, which made him the quarterback he was, but Jimmy G has absolutely NONE of that same ability.

Stafford outperformed Goff despite the weak offensive line he has to wortk with and no running back threat at all.

And produced ZERO touchdowns in the process, but this was THREE years ago, they have been declining offensively since then, The Running game suffers in part because of Goffs weak downfield play, allowing the defense to be closer to the line that helps reduce the running game.

With Stafford they will be more spread out which opens up more running and passing routes with the defense more spread out.

Absolutely, I was just pointing out the flaw in the statement, "The Rams were never going to reach the SB with Goff who is a skinny weak throwing quarterback." I don't know just what has brought about Goff's regression in play, but he's capable of helping take a team to the SB (or has been).

Goff’s ready...Literally no one wants him in Detroit...he's about to prove the doubters wrong, VERY WRONG!

EtGHivXWMAIy3-Y

Absolutely, I was just pointing out the flaw in the statement, "The Rams were never going to reach the SB with Goff who is a skinny weak throwing quarterback." I don't know just what has brought about Goff's regression in play, but he's capable of helping take a team to the SB (or has been).
He looks skinny for an NFL QB
He was a 2 time pro bowler

Steep price. The Rams just continue to trade their picks. I think if Stafford stays healthy and the 49ers don't upgrade their QB situation then I would say the Rams are favorites to go to the Super Bowl next year. They have a great coach and a great defense and have good offensive weapons. All they really needed was a QB. Rams are taking a big gamble on Stafford staying healthy.
Let’s see if Matthew is as good as Aaron rogers. They’re playing each other now. Before we always assumed Stanford’s team sucked. But now he’s 7 and 3 and greenbay is 8 and 3. I’m guessing greenbay will win.

I wouldn't argue that, but they are severely limiting their future in hopes of things working this year. That seems to be the Rams' MO, though:

I thought if the rams did good they wouldn’t have to give as much up. And they’re doing good.

Steep price. The Rams just continue to trade their picks. I think if Stafford stays healthy and the 49ers don't upgrade their QB situation then I would say the Rams are favorites to go to the Super Bowl next year. They have a great coach and a great defense and have good offensive weapons. All they really needed was a QB. Rams are taking a big gamble on Stafford staying healthy.
12-4

worth it? Probably. Stafford needs to win a playoff game. Today’s game doesn’t matter except it will cost them the 2nd seed

Can I bump your thread? First, I want to give my love to Matthew Stafford. Great man and athlete as far as I can tell. We booed him but that was all in fun. We appreciate what he did for Detroit. I wanted to say even though he won a Superbowl and we haven't yet, it was a great trade for all. We got a lot for him. So with him, we weren't going anywhere. And he was able to go win a Superbowl with another team worthy of his talent. So we are in a better place today because we traded him. And he's absolutely in a better place. So glad we beat him. That would have been too much. Then I would have said it was a bad trade that ended up biting us in the ass.

Stafford is going to be one of those guys who has insane career passing yards despite never being considered a top 5 QB.

Forum List

Back