Kyrsten Sinema: pass the bipartisan infrastructure bill 1st

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) reportedly told House Democrats this week that she won’t support Democrats’ sweeping reconciliation package until the bipartisan infrastructure bill passes, according to Reuters.

In an online meeting, Sinema and fellow centrist Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) told the group that they will not abide by any deadlines imposed by Democratic leadership to force votes on reconciliation.

Earlier this month, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) set Oct. 31 as a deadline to pass both the $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill and the reconciliation package.

Both Manchin and Sinema continue to put up a fight over the reconciliation package’s $3.5 trillion topline. While Manchin has proposed a topline of $1.5 trillion, Sinema has yet to publicly give numbers or indicate what she will and won’t accept in the reconciliation package.

Some Democratic leaders have suggested that a smaller price tag of $2 trillion would get Manchin and Sinema on board with the sweeping legislation; President Biden speculated last week that the topline may end up in the range of $1.9 trillion to $2.3 trillion.

On Tuesday, Pelosi appeared to embrace the idea of shortening the duration of programs within the reconciliation package rather than nixing any of the provisions altogether, despite suggesting that she would focus on “doing fewer things well” in a “Dear Colleague” letter the day before.

House progressives have said they won't pass the bipartisan bill until after the bigger one goes through, which appears to be increasingly unlikely. From what I've read, Sinema and Manchin are not in agreement about what they support and what they don't. Sinema wants X but not Y, and Manchin wants Y but not X, and it appears the big spending Biden agenda is in big trouble.

Somebody pass me some popcorn.

I agree with Sinema.

The second infrastructure bill isn't going to pass so why bother with it?

This is absolutely delightful and just as the Biden flogged 3.5 trillion dollar
reconciliation time bomb is floundering on the rocks of the partisan divide.
It's asinine legislation favored only by progressive democrats and their partisan
enablers.

I agree with Sinema.

The second infrastructure bill isn't going to pass so why bother with it?
I don't see what the problem here is since the $3.5 trillion will cost zero dollars

They must all be listening to the fake news is all I can think.

All this spending is nothing more than the Democrats ultimate wet dream and it's all about totally controlling every American. It has nothing at all to do with improving the lot of the American people. In fact, it will make everything much worse for the average Joe.

Forum List

Back