Knitted Knockers – A New Idea for Breast Cancer Survivors

The Professor

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2011
For breast cancer survivors, prostheses can be expensive and uncomfortable. One organization called Knitted Knockers offers a soft, light and FREE knitted or crocheted alternative. I read about this in a Dear Abbey column which appeared in the December 6, 2016, issue of the Lake City Reporter (Lake City, Florida). The entire article appears below (Mods: no copyright infringement here):

DEAR ABBY: You would be doing millions of women a great service by telling them about Knitted Knockers Support Foundation. It has been tirelessly working at inspiring volunteer knitters and crocheters to provide FREE soft, light prostheses for breast cancer survivors.

Typically, the traditional prostheses can be hot, heavy, expensive and take quite a while to arrive. Knitted Knockers are made by people who care. Sometimes your request can be filled that very day. All you need to do is ask. These are sent nationwide and all over the world.

I learned about this wonderful organization earlier this year, and I am now the Northern California distribution point. The response we've had from women who receive them is astounding.

Please let breast cancer survivors know about Knitted Knockers at www.KnittedKnockers.org. There they will find an order form to fill out, and we will be happy to mail out one or a pair. They give women confidence and comfort at a time when they can really use it.

If you know a knitter or crocheter, encourage them to join the cause. Knit and crochet patterns and a list of acceptable yarns are on the website. Abby, thanks for passing the word on! -- CLAIRE G. IN CALIFORNIA

DEAR CLAIRE: I know many women will be glad to know about the service you are offering, and grateful for the knitters and crocheters who devote their time so generously to make recovery easier for breast cancer survivors. Thank you for writing.

(Note from The Professor: I know that some of you love to knit and crochet. I though you might like to get involved with this wonderful project. Although the Knitted Knockers are free to the recipient, the volunteer knitters pay for the yarn.)

So now falsies will be knitted ??

What a marvelously modern world we live in.

Forum List

Back