Kindergarten Teacher Reads Class Books On Transgenderism

Absolutely no reason 5 year olds are exposed to this garbage in kindergarten...none.

If a kid who was considered a boy began identifying as a girl, they're exposed to it.

Wooosh right over your head. It's not appropriate for kindergarten....period

No, it's not over my head. My deal is that a teacher doesn't get a say if the parents are helping a Kindergarten child transition to the other gender.

Stomping your foot and saying, "It's not appropriate" is not a plan.

Keep it out of kindergarten.

You idiots pushing this garbage need to stop. I can promise if some idiot teacher pulled this stunt with one of ours the blowback would be swift, severe and justfied.

Wait...the parents are pissed...surprise!!

Personally, i wouldnt play along with her delusion if i was a teacher. And i damn sure wouldnt make puppets out of the rest of the class.

Take it up with the parents.

Or are you all for the state taking over the family in this case?
Im saying i wouldnt play into her delusions. The kid OBVIOUSLY needs some guidance.
I am rarely ok with the govt taking control of how a family works. This isnt one of them. Although, it could be argued it is child abuse.

Absolutely no reason 5 year olds are exposed to this garbage in kindergarten...none.

If a kid who was considered a boy began identifying as a girl, they're exposed to it.

No, it's not over my head. My deal is that a teacher doesn't get a say if the parents are helping a Kindergarten child transition to the other gender.

You idiots pushing this garbage need to stop. I can promise if some idiot teacher pulled this stunt with one of ours the blowback would be swift, severe and justfied.

Can you not read?

I would be pushing nothing. In the OP, the child brought the book to school and began dressing as the opposite gender. Do you think the teacher initiated it? Please go back and quote some sentences that support that.

Can you not read?

I would be pushing nothing. In the OP, the child brought the book to school and began dressing as the opposite gender. Do you think the teacher initiated it? Please go back and quote some sentences that support that.

Once again...it's NOT appropiate for kindergarten.

The Time article I read said her parents were fine with her dressing as a girl at home but not in public.

The link in the OP said that this particular Kindergartener brought in books for the teacher, and I believe the child had begun dressing as her identified gender.

The parents obviously were on board with that. The teacher has to think of the whole class, and had to explain to the kids to the best of her ability what was happening. Where she went wrong was in not notifying all students' parents prior.
Wouldn't it work to just matter of factly explain to the class that Johnnie feels like a girl on the inside and wants to act like a girl on the outside, too, so (s)he is going to start dressing like a girl and we are going to call her Joelle. Make a game out of remembering. Could kids not just accept that at age 5?

Ummmm..... I think some would. Others would have "why" questions. A few of the more savvy ones would ask about if (s)he still had a penis. But it would probably go pretty smoothly with just the kids.

But no, I think the real problem would be the parent backlash of not being notified that this would be discussed in the first place. Hence, the need for a plan, because you have to be ready to answer parent questions and overreaction. Then parent comments and snide remarks and overreaction filters through the kids and into the classroom.

Trust me, I saw this with the last election, believe it or not. And this topic is much more loaded.
Boy am I glad I'm in adult ed these days.

Personally, i wouldnt play along with her delusion if i was a teacher. And i damn sure wouldnt make puppets out of the rest of the class.

Im saying i wouldnt play into her delusions. The kid OBVIOUSLY needs some guidance.
I am rarely ok with the govt taking control of how a family works. This isnt one of them. Although, it could be argued it is child abuse.

So you would go against the wishes of the parents, who clearly support what you consider "her delusions."

What if she had a doctor's note? A psychologist's note?

How much would you, as a teacher, be willing to subvert the wishes of the parents based on your personal beliefs?

Can you not read?

Clearly, you don't have to deal with real-world problems.

You keep stamping your feet and plugging your ears.

So you would go against the wishes of the parents, who clearly support what you consider "her delusions."

How much would you, as a teacher, be willing to subvert the wishes of the parents based on your personal beliefs?
I wouldnt do that to the other kids. Period. That dont need to be introduced to societal perversion at such a young age.

It IS a bit much, but what does a teacher do if it's happening in his or her classroom?

The way I read this, a child was identifying as the other gender, and brought in the books to the teacher. Ideally, I would have wanted to draft a letter to parents explaining the situation warning them that their children will have questions, and I wonder why that wasn't done. What I wonder is if there was some kind of privacy issue with the child and her family.

Although, once the child started dressing and identifying as the other gender, it becomes pretty obvious who it is.

Bottom line, this should have been discussed with parents, so they could address the situation at home. Of course, the transgender child in question still deserves every bit of support a school community can give, regardless of your personal opinion.

there is zero reason for parents to give into a 5 year old when it comes to pretty much anything, wanting to be another gender included. It is done under the misguided principle that this will help them later on, but all it does is open up confusion and questions that really shouldn't be dealt with by anyone before puberty. Once they hit that, let them figure it out, and once they hit 18 let a psychologist decide if they actually have a gender dysphoria that only surgery can correct.

As a teacher, I would have no say in how the parents dealt with their own child. As a teacher, it would be my responsibility to consider the whole class and how to best ease that transition.

At 5 years old there shouldn't be a transition in the first place. At 5 years old the best thing to do is see if the kid can become comfortable in their own body.
actual gender re-assignment should be a last resort, not a first.

I wouldnt do that to the other kids. Period. That dont need to be introduced to societal perversion at such a young age.

What form would this "not doing it" take?

Would you be willing to get fired?

It IS a bit much, but what does a teacher do if it's happening in his or her classroom?

The way I read this, a child was identifying as the other gender, and brought in the books to the teacher. Ideally, I would have wanted to draft a letter to parents explaining the situation warning them that their children will have questions, and I wonder why that wasn't done. What I wonder is if there was some kind of privacy issue with the child and her family.

Although, once the child started dressing and identifying as the other gender, it becomes pretty obvious who it is.

Bottom line, this should have been discussed with parents, so they could address the situation at home. Of course, the transgender child in question still deserves every bit of support a school community can give, regardless of your personal opinion.

there is zero reason for parents to give into a 5 year old when it comes to pretty much anything, wanting to be another gender included. It is done under the misguided principle that this will help them later on, but all it does is open up confusion and questions that really shouldn't be dealt with by anyone before puberty. Once they hit that, let them figure it out, and once they hit 18 let a psychologist decide if they actually have a gender dysphoria that only surgery can correct.

As a teacher, I would have no say in how the parents dealt with their own child. As a teacher, it would be my responsibility to consider the whole class and how to best ease that transition.

At 5 years old there shouldn't be a transition in the first place. At 5 years old the best thing to do is see if the kid can become comfortable in their own body.

You guys keep arguing this point, but that has NOTHING to do with the teacher.

I dont understand what you are asking
I would not work for a school district that would support this nonsense. No frikkin way

From every thing I read she or he was not born inter-sex.

I would not work for a school district that would support this nonsense. No frikkin way

So you wouldn't be a teacher at all.

That is not dealing with an issue as it comes up, and therefore is a foolish answer.

EVERY teacher has to deal with parents who are, in their opinion, batshit crazy. Unless it's clear-cut abuse, or specifically violates school policy, you go along with a parent's wishes about their own child....even if you are rolling your eyes behind their back.

I am surprised at the posters who seem ok with a teacher "raising the child" in this particular case.

Can you not read?

Clearly, you don't have to deal with real-world problems.

You keep stamping your feet and plugging your ears.

I raise seven children, whackjob, trust me I know what real life problems are. Idiot "teachers' such as yourself rank high on the list.

You wouldn't last a semester at our children's school....I"d make sure of it.

So you wouldn't be a teacher at all.

That is not dealing with an issue as it comes up, and therefore is a foolish answer.

EVERY teacher has to deal with parents who are, in their opinion, batshit crazy. Unless it's clear-cut abuse, or specifically violates school policy, you go along with a parent's wishes about their own child....even if you are rolling your eyes behind their back.

I am surprised at the posters who seem ok with a teacher "raising the child" in this particular case.
Im not talking about raising anyone elses kid. Nor do i give a shit what the parents would want me to do. The general well being of the class is what matters. And introducing them into these delusions isnt one of them.
Maybe not giving into the childs delusion id the only guidance the kid needs. Im sure, at this point, it isnt that complicated. And probably aided by the parents.
I wouldnt let this detour my career. I would just relocate. As i said, a school district that would allow this perversion is not one i would want to work at.

You guys keep arguing this point, but that has NOTHING to do with the teacher.

The point is the teacher shouldn't even be bringing it up.

From every thing I read she or he was not born inter-sex.

inter-sex and gender dysphoria are two different things, and both are very rare.

The current trend seems to be treating any phase of a kid as something that has to be treated and worked on RIGHT NOW, and everyone around them has to go along with it.

Forum List

Back