Killing of Blacks....Left and Right

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
And...once again we find that the difference between the Left and the Right is 'feelings,' the former, and 'knowing,' the Right.

1. Harvard Professor...he is black....found no bias in fatal shootings of blacks.

"Roland Fryer, professor of economics at Harvard, gave a lecture entitled “Understanding Racial Differences in Police Use of Force” in the Starr Auditorium in MacMillan Hall Monday. The talk, part of the “Economics in the Real World Symposium,” argued that though there are substantial racial disparities for non-lethal use of police force, those disparities do not exist for lethal use of force.

In instances of non-lethal uses of force that include the use of hands, pushes to the wall or ground, weapon drawing, handcuffs, pepper spray and batons, “Any way you cut the data, there are racial differences that controls cannot account for,” Fryer said.

Though in general blacks are 53 percent more likely to experience non-lethal force during a stop-and-frisk encounter than whites, even with control variables and fixed effects they are still 17 percent more likely to experience police force. Additionally, Hispanics are 58 percent more likely to experience non-lethal force than whites, and 12 percent more likely when controls are accounted for.

For lethal use of force in police interactions, Fryer’s data told a different story. He found that there is no racial bias in the use of lethal force during lethal interactions involving an officer. In fact, his numbers showed that blacks and Hispanics are marginally less likely to have lethal force used against them in police altercations.

“This is the most surprising result I have found in my entire career,” Fryer said, adding, “I had never been so sure of a result before I went into this than I have in my entire life.

Fryer “lives his research,” spending all his waking hours on it and rarely sleeping, she said. Working with him has been an “awesome experience,” she said, adding of her job, “You get to see a genius work.”

“This is just the start of what I hope is a fruitful and instructive set of papers on police use of force,” Fryer said. He added, “It may not be good economics, but at least it’s economics in the real world.”
Harvard professor shares findings on racial disparities in police uses of force

2. "In stark contrast to non-lethal uses of force, we find no racial differences in officer-involved shootings on either the extensive or intensive margins. Using data from Houston, Texas—where we have both officer-involved shootings and a randomly chosen set of potential interactions with police where lethal force may have been justified—we find, in the raw data, that blacks are 23.8 percent less likely to be shot at by police relative to whites. Hispanics are 8.5 percent less likely.

Analyzing data from cities in California, Texas, and Florida, Fryer found that lethal force was used more often against whites than blacks.1 This is from the New York Times:

This is from the New York Times:

In officer-involved shootings in these cities, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white. Black and white civilians involved in police shootings were equally likely to have been carrying a weapon. Both of these results undercut the idea that the police wield lethal force with racial bias.

…A more fundamental question still remained: In the tense moments when a shooting may occur, are police officers more likely to fire if the suspect is black?

To answer this question, Mr. Fryer focused on one city, Houston. The Police Department there allowed the researchers to look at reports not only for shootings but also for arrests when lethal force might have been justified. Mr. Fryer defined this group to include suspects the police charged with serious offenses like attempting to murder an officer, or evading or resisting arrest. He also considered suspects shocked with Tasers.

And in the arena of "shoot" or "don’t shoot," Mr. Fryer found that, in tense situations, officers in Houston were about 20 percent less likely to shoot a suspect if the suspect was black. "
New study suggests police shoot whites more frequently than blacks

Ignorance abounds.

And one side, couldn't care less about it.

It's not one side , it's some people on both sides..

"Black Lives Matter Just Officially Became Part of the Democratic Primary
On Wednesday, the Democratic National Committee invited activists from two prominent groups within the Black Lives Matter movement to organize and host a town hall forum on racial justice for the party's presidential candidates."
Black Lives Matter just officially became part of the Democratic primary

"...the DNC passed a resolution declaring its support for the movement."
Ibid.

"For lethal use of force in police interactions, Fryer’s data told a different story. He found that there is no racial bias in the use of lethal force during lethal interactions involving an officer. In fact, his numbers showed that blacks and Hispanics are marginally less likely to have lethal force used against them in police altercations."

Last edited:
It's not one side , it's some people on both sides..

"Black Lives Matter Just Officially Became Part of the Democratic Primary
On Wednesday, the Democratic National Committee invited activists from two prominent groups within the Black Lives Matter movement to organize and host a town hall forum on racial justice for the party's presidential candidates."
Black Lives Matter just officially became part of the Democratic primary

"...the DNC passed a resolution declaring its support for the movement."
Ibid.

"For lethal use of force in police interactions, Fryer’s data told a different story. He found that there is no racial bias in the use of lethal force during lethal interactions involving an officer. In fact, his numbers showed that blacks and Hispanics are marginally less likely to have lethal force used against them in police altercations."
Yes inclusion, something even the RNC doesn't recognize..

Speaking of stats , what is the racial breakdown of who gets stop n frisked ?

And...once again we find that the difference between the Left and the Right is 'feelings,' the former, and 'knowing,' the Right.

1. Harvard Professor...he is black....found no bias in fatal shootings of blacks.

"Roland Fryer, professor of economics at Harvard, gave a lecture entitled “Understanding Racial Differences in Police Use of Force” in the Starr Auditorium in MacMillan Hall Monday. The talk, part of the “Economics in the Real World Symposium,” argued that though there are substantial racial disparities for non-lethal use of police force, those disparities do not exist for lethal use of force.

In instances of non-lethal uses of force that include the use of hands, pushes to the wall or ground, weapon drawing, handcuffs, pepper spray and batons, “Any way you cut the data, there are racial differences that controls cannot account for,” Fryer said.

Though in general blacks are 53 percent more likely to experience non-lethal force during a stop-and-frisk encounter than whites, even with control variables and fixed effects they are still 17 percent more likely to experience police force. Additionally, Hispanics are 58 percent more likely to experience non-lethal force than whites, and 12 percent more likely when controls are accounted for.

For lethal use of force in police interactions, Fryer’s data told a different story. He found that there is no racial bias in the use of lethal force during lethal interactions involving an officer. In fact, his numbers showed that blacks and Hispanics are marginally less likely to have lethal force used against them in police altercations.

“This is the most surprising result I have found in my entire career,” Fryer said, adding, “I had never been so sure of a result before I went into this than I have in my entire life.

Fryer “lives his research,” spending all his waking hours on it and rarely sleeping, she said. Working with him has been an “awesome experience,” she said, adding of her job, “You get to see a genius work.”

“This is just the start of what I hope is a fruitful and instructive set of papers on police use of force,” Fryer said. He added, “It may not be good economics, but at least it’s economics in the real world.”

2. "In stark contrast to non-lethal uses of force, we find no racial differences in officer-involved shootings on either the extensive or intensive margins. Using data from Houston, Texas—where we have both officer-involved shootings and a randomly chosen set of potential interactions with police where lethal force may have been justified—we find, in the raw data, that blacks are 23.8 percent less likely to be shot at by police relative to whites. Hispanics are 8.5 percent less likely.

Analyzing data from cities in California, Texas, and Florida, Fryer found that lethal force was used more often against whites than blacks.1 This is from the New York Times:

In officer-involved shootings in these cities, officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white. Black and white civilians involved in police shootings were equally likely to have been carrying a weapon. Both of these results undercut the idea that the police wield lethal force with racial bias.

…A more fundamental question still remained: In the tense moments when a shooting may occur, are police officers more likely to fire if the suspect is black?

To answer this question, Mr. Fryer focused on one city, Houston. The Police Department there allowed the researchers to look at reports not only for shootings but also for arrests when lethal force might have been justified. Mr. Fryer defined this group to include suspects the police charged with serious offenses like attempting to murder an officer, or evading or resisting arrest. He also considered suspects shocked with Tasers.

And in the arena of "shoot" or "don’t shoot," Mr. Fryer found that, in tense situations, officers in Houston were about 20 percent less likely to shoot a suspect if the suspect was black. "

Ignorance abounds.

Yo, the man is a Genius! Your problem, is a closed mind, and not seeing the Truth! Maybe one day, you will snap out of it, but I doubt it!!!
13798456.gif

"GTP"

Ignorance abounds.

I heard this too -- on NPR (National Public Radio) this morning.

It seems that you are equally likely to be shot by police if you are white or black or brown.

I hope PBS will do a take on it as well.

It is an interesting conclusion, stat's wise.

Forum List

Back