Kids going to school, or the mall, this fall?

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
Shove those little bundles of joy onto a school bus and enjoy the rest of your day!!!

OK, so maybe it doesn't work that way, all the time. So, here is the question.

LOOK at the sales fliers in today's paper. Look at the clothes that are being marketed for children and see if you think it is appropriate for the age. See if you can tell which age group the marketing is being directed. Children, you adults, etc.. See if any of the ads are mixed in with the wrong age group, and ask yourself "why?".

I saw things in the ads today that are, in my opinion, not appropriate for the age group noted in the sales banner, and confusing... Is it intentional on the part of the people who direct the marketing?

Also, see if you can catch the cellular/digital ads that are in the paper too. Why does you kid need all these gadgets in order to learn????

What ever happened to paper and a pencil???

A lot of explicit or revealing items are sold to younger kids because that is what they see older kids wearing, and they want to be like them. Corporations manufacture and sell them because that is what the populace demands.

I'm looking at the ads now...

The young ladies in most of these ads arent inappropriately dressed much at all, aside from the occasional short skirt.

Your kids dont need cell phones and MP3 players to learn. They're just thrown in the ads, well, to advertise. Pencils and paper still have their place in society, but when all places sell paper for twenty five cents a stack, more competitive items, like clothing, take precidence.

Semper Fi said:
A lot of explicit or revealing items are sold to younger kids because that is what they see older kids wearing, and they want to be like them. Corporations manufacture and sell them because that is what the populace demands.

I'm looking at the ads now...

The young ladies in most of these ads arent inappropriately dressed much at all, aside from the occasional short skirt.

Your kids dont need cell phones and MP3 players to learn. They're just thrown in the ads, well, to advertise. Pencils and paper still have their place in society, but when all places sell paper for twenty five cents a stack, more competitive items, like clothing, take precidence.

Where did you find paper for $.20? I paid $.49 per pack. Let me know if you find other deals like that! :)

GotZoom said:
Parents:

Just Say No.
I agree. Especially for those 'costly electronics.' Cell phones are prohibited from being on during school. I do not allow the use of electronic dictionaries, as the entries are too abbreviated. Each student has a paperback collegiate dictionary and I have 3 unabridged ones in the room.

ipods and other personal listening devices do not belong at school. I have a CD player in the room and each student's laptop also has CD/DVD player. During lunch or if there is a reason, such as music class, the students can play their CD's, IF they have the lyrics printed and I've approved them. ;)

Digital cameras are too expensive and easily lost/stolen. Along with all the others, it's 'banned' in our handbook. (cell phones are different, some parents insist they must be able to reach the kids immediately after school, sooooo.) If the student is found to have an electronic dictionary, ipod/etc., they are brought to the principal's office and the parents have to retrieve them.

Kathianne said:
I agree. Especially for those 'costly electronics.' Cell phones are prohibited from being on during school. I do not allow the use of electronic dictionaries, as the entries are too abbreviated. Each student has a paperback collegiate dictionary and I have 3 unabridged ones in the room.

ipods and other personal listening devices do not belong at school. I have a CD player in the room and each student's laptop also has CD/DVD player. During lunch or if there is a reason, such as music class, the students can play their CD's, IF they have the lyrics printed and I've approved them. ;)

Digital cameras are too expensive and easily lost/stolen. Along with all the others, it's 'banned' in our handbook. (cell phones are different, some parents insist they must be able to reach the kids immediately after school, sooooo.) If the student is found to have an electronic dictionary, ipod/etc., they are brought to the principal's office and the parents have to retrieve them.

That all sounds good. There has been a major uproar here about cellphones. The school board "re-passed" it's ban on cellphones on school property. I personally think that is ridiculous. Of course, I want the kids to have more responsibility and self control. Don't ban cellphones. Allow them on school grounds. If you use them anytime during school house (8:00 - 2:30, etc), they are taken away and the parents must come to the office to pick them up.

I promise the 3rd or 4th time mom and/or dad has to leave work to pick up little Johnny's/Jenny's cellphone; the darling little child will probably have it taken away from them.

Problem solved.

Working Man said:
Shove those little bundles of joy onto a school bus and enjoy the rest of your day!!!

OK, so maybe it doesn't work that way, all the time. So, here is the question.

LOOK at the sales fliers in today's paper. Look at the clothes that are being marketed for children and see if you think it is appropriate for the age. See if you can tell which age group the marketing is being directed. Children, you adults, etc.. See if any of the ads are mixed in with the wrong age group, and ask yourself "why?".

I saw things in the ads today that are, in my opinion, not appropriate for the age group noted in the sales banner, and confusing... Is it intentional on the part of the people who direct the marketing?

Also, see if you can catch the cellular/digital ads that are in the paper too. Why does you kid need all these gadgets in order to learn????

What ever happened to paper and a pencil???

Good point.

Which newspaper?

What age group was being inappropriately targeted?

GotZoom said:
That all sounds good. There has been a major uproar here about cellphones. The school board "re-passed" it's ban on cellphones on school property. I personally think that is ridiculous. Of course, I want the kids to have more responsibility and self control. Don't ban cellphones. Allow them on school grounds. If you use them anytime during school house (8:00 - 2:30, etc), they are taken away and the parents must come to the office to pick them up.

I promise the 3rd or 4th time mom and/or dad has to leave work to pick up little Johnny's/Jenny's cellphone; the darling little child will probably have it taken away from them.

Problem solved.
Yep, agreed on the cell phones. If the phone is found 'on the child' or lockers start ringing, singing, what have you, they are placed with the other electronics for pick up!

A lot of times students listen to their MP3 players on the walk/bus ride to and from school, forcing them to take them to school with them. I think having them is ok as long as it doesnt make an appearance outside of the locker. Same goes with other electronics.

My school (well, old school anyway) would do the same thing with the cell phones, take them and give them to the office. The students could pick them up after school, I think the first three times, then it becomes the parents' jobs. Cell phones are pretty important in todays rapid world, so banning them from school would leave many a mother worried*.

Thats not to say that they should be used during class (passing periods and lunch I dont see why not, however)

Semper Fi said:
A lot of times students listen to their MP3 players on the walk/bus ride to and from school, forcing them to take them to school with them. I think having them is ok as long as it doesnt make an appearance outside of the locker. Same goes with other electronics.

My school (well, old school anyway) would do the same thing with the cell phones, take them and give them to the office. The students could pick them up after school, I think the first three times, then it becomes the parents' jobs. Cell phones are pretty important in todays rapid world, so banning them from school would leave many a mother worried*.

Thats not to say that they should be used during class (passing periods and lunch I dont see why not, however)
Our school isn't big enough for 'passing periods' they cross a hall. As for lunch period, in school that is a social time, while eating. If there is inclement weather, I do allow them to listen/watch to preapproved CD's or DVD's, as a class. They have to come to agreement. I'm always shocked at how much faster 20 some students can do this compared to 2 or 3 siblings! :shocked:

As for the electronics, MP3 in particuliar, they are too easy to lose or have stolen. At $350 a pop, we do not want the hassle of that.

Kathianne said:
Our school isn't big enough for 'passing periods' they cross a hall. As for lunch period, in school that is a social time, while eating. If there is inclement weather, I do allow them to listen/watch to preapproved CD's or DVD's, as a class. They have to come to agreement. I'm always shocked at how much faster 20 some students can do this compared to 2 or 3 siblings! :shocked:

As for the electronics, MP3 in particuliar, they are too easy to lose or have stolen. At $350 a pop, we do not want the hassle of that.

MP3's being stolen shouldn't be the school's problem. It's not a necessity to have with you at school, so by bringing it along you run the risk of having it stolen. That's the way I look at it, anyway.

Out of curiosity, what CD's and DVD's are usually decided on?

Semper Fi said:
MP3's being stolen shouldn't be the school's problem. It's not a necessity to have with you at school, so by bringing it along you run the risk of having it stolen. That's the way I look at it, anyway.

Out of curiosity, what CD's and DVD's are usually decided on?
You appear to be a reasonable and responsible young person, my guess would be that your parents are too. You may have noticed that isn't quite the case with all your peers or their parents. They would not consider it a 'risk that they ran', the school should have :blah2: or we should have been 'teaching' responsibility, :blah2: So, we avoid the hassles.

CD's I couldn't tell you which groups, I'm not hearing them, as the volume isn't that high. I read through the lyrics and I put the CD's on, to make sure there's no switching. ;)

DVD's are PG13 or better. Football themes are popular. So are really dumb movies about teens. Then again, 2 years ago they badly wanted to watch "Glory". I told them we couldn't, rated R. They asked the principal if all their parents wrote permission, could they? She said yes. So that is what they watched one winter after lunch, for 20 minutes at a time.

GotZoom said:

Problem solved.

Since when did kids need cell phones in school or after it? WTF is wrong with people. God im 25 and i dont ever remember kids having cell phones even in high school. Now they have them in grade school. WTF for? Your kid isnt going to disappear from you going from school to home. All your doing is extending the nannyism that is cultivating a generation of a lazy bunch of pussies. They dont need to think for themselves. Mommy and Daddy are right at the touch of button every minute of the day. And mommy and Daddy have big government to help them every minute of the day to raise their kids.

I guarantee no matter how much my future wife insists on a cell phone, my kids will NOT have one in school. School is for learning and the less distractions you have, the easier you can reach that goal.

Since when did kids need cell phones in school or after it? WTF is wrong with people. God im 25 and i dont ever remember kids having cell phones even in high school. Now they have them in grade school. WTF for? Your kid isnt going to disappear from you going from school to home. All your doing is extending the nannyism that is cultivating a generation of a lazy bunch of pussies. They dont need to think for themselves. Mommy and Daddy are right at the touch of button every minute of the day. And mommy and Daddy have big government to help them every minute of the day to raise their kids.

I guarantee no matter how much my future wife insists on a cell phone, my kids will NOT have one in school. School is for learning and the less distractions you have, the easier you can reach that goal.

I live in New York City, and I was 14 years old and a freshman in high school (not to mention my 5th day in high school) on 9/11. I didn't have a cell phone at the time, and both my parents (they are divorced) went scrambling to look for me and did not have a way to get in contact with me. My high school had, and still has, 4400 students, putting it in the top 10 in the country in terms of size, so having every student attempt to contact their parents by telephone was highly impractical (not to mention that not many phone calls were getting through that morning). My father got to me first, since he works 5 blocks from Ground Zero and my school was right across the East River in downtown Brooklyn. My mother had no way of knowing that I was picked up and safe with my father (since he didn't have a cell phone at the time either, and both him and my mother were on the move the entire time). My high school wasn't keeping track of which student was picked up at what time, so my mother was looking all over the school for me and looked in the class I was supposed to be in (which was a different class from the time my father picked me up), and my teacher at that class had not seen me. To jump ahead to the end of the story, it took until later that afternoon for me to finally get in contact with my mother. Later that week, my mother got me a cell phone (obviously in case another emergency like that were to happen). I agree that a lot of students abuse cell phone power and that's what led to a cell phone ban in New York City schools a couple of years ago. After that ban, I was searched at random by security guards to see if I had a cell phone in my possession. I did, and the phone was confiscated. I had never answered a phone call in school and always had it on vibrate while in the school. Do you think that in my case (which is the case of a multitude of students) I should have had my phone confiscated? I only had it in case of an emergency, and ended up performing a case of civil disobedience by bringing my phone in to school while a ban was in effect.

I live in New York City, and I was 14 years old and a freshman in high school (not to mention my 5th day in high school) on 9/11. I didn't have a cell phone at the time, and both my parents (they are divorced) went scrambling to look for me and did not have a way to get in contact with me. My high school had, and still has, 4400 students, putting it in the top 10 in the country in terms of size, so having every student attempt to contact their parents by telephone was highly impractical (not to mention that not many phone calls were getting through that morning). My father got to me first, since he works 5 blocks from Ground Zero and my school was right across the East River in downtown Brooklyn. My mother had no way of knowing that I was picked up and safe with my father (since he didn't have a cell phone at the time either, and both him and my mother were on the move the entire time). My high school wasn't keeping track of which student was picked up at what time, so my mother was looking all over the school for me and looked in the class I was supposed to be in (which was a different class from the time my father picked me up), and my teacher at that class had not seen me. To jump ahead to the end of the story, it took until later that afternoon for me to finally get in contact with my mother. Later that week, my mother got me a cell phone (obviously in case another emergency like that were to happen). I agree that a lot of students abuse cell phone power and that's what led to a cell phone ban in New York City schools a couple of years ago. After that ban, I was searched at random by security guards to see if I had a cell phone in my possession. I did, and the phone was confiscated. I had never answered a phone call in school and always had it on vibrate while in the school. Do you think that in my case (which is the case of a multitude of students) I should have had my phone confiscated? I only had it in case of an emergency, and ended up performing a case of civil disobedience by bringing my phone in to school while a ban was in effect.

I'm assuming you attended Stuyvesant High School? I attended a grad class about dealing with terrorism post 9/11, in 2002. There was a teacher from that school, along with 2 professors from CUNY speaking of the pluses of cell phones on 9/11. I have to agree, they should not have been confiscated, unless they were on person or ringing.

I'm assuming you attended Stuyvesant High School? I attended a grad class about dealing with terrorism post 9/11, in 2002. There was a teacher from that school, along with 2 professors from CUNY speaking of the pluses of cell phones on 9/11. I have to agree, they should not have been confiscated, unless they were on person or ringing.

I attended Brooklyn Technical High School, right across the East River in Brooklyn. Looking out the west side of the building you had unobstructed views of the Towers. Thankfully, I wasn't on that side at any time during the attacks, because that wasn't an image I wanted to remember as a 14 year old. Anyways, thankfully I'm now in college away from the city where your freedoms were literally taken away by the bureaucrats in the Dept. of Education.

I attended Brooklyn Technical High School, right across the East River in Brooklyn. Looking out the west side of the building you had unobstructed views of the Towers. Thankfully, I wasn't on that side at any time during the attacks, because that wasn't an image I wanted to remember as a 14 year old. Anyways, thankfully I'm now in college away from the city where your freedoms were literally taken away by the bureaucrats in the Dept. of Education.

I should have said this before, I'm very glad you and your classmates, parents and all, made it through that day. NYC was at it's very finest hour that day, young, old, all races, creeds, and social positions. My hat is off to you all!

I should have said this before, I'm very glad you and your classmates, parents and all, made it through that day. NYC was at it's very finest hour that day, young, old, all races, creeds, and social positions. My hat is off to you all!

Thanks a lot. I still remember fondly about those last 3 and a half months of 2001 after 9/11. I'm a big baseball fan, and watching the World Series in October where George Bush threw out the ceremonial first pitch and the entire crowd chanting "USA! USA! USA!" still gives me goosebumps. Not even Bush who's such a polarizing figure today could've separated us. If only we were still united like that today...how much better off would we be as a nation?

Thanks a lot. I still remember fondly about those last 3 and a half months of 2001 after 9/11. I'm a big baseball fan, and watching the World Series in October where George Bush threw out the ceremonial first pitch and the entire crowd chanting "USA! USA! USA!" still gives me goosebumps. Not even Bush who's such a polarizing figure today could've separated us. If only we were still united like that today...how much better off would we be as a nation?

I agree. Though I don't think all the polarizing has been from Bush. *Sigh*

I agree. Though I don't think all the polarizing has been from Bush. *Sigh*

Of course, a lot more has to do with people's convictions than Bush himself.

Although in New York City, people overwhelmingly hate this man. The Anti-Bush propaganda, especially preceding the 2004 elections, was getting out of hand, to the point where ad-hominem attacks and vicious insults were becoming the norm.

Forum List

Back