Key To A Good Steak

crossbody

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2024
The key to a really good steak is "tenderizing" have a very good tenderizer and tenderize it on both sides. Of course the butcher can put it through one of their tenderizers, but they will flatten it. It's best to tenderize it yourself at home.

Then add your seasonings and marinade to it. Once it's tenderized almost any kind of marinade and choice of seasonings will make it taste even better.

The key to a really good steak is "tenderizing" have a very good tenderizer and tenderize it on both sides. Of course the butcher can put it through one of their tenderizers, but they will flatten it. It's best to tenderize it yourself at home.

Then add your seasonings and marinade to it. Once it's tenderized almost any kind of marinade and choice of seasonings will make it taste even better.
Start off with good meat and no tenderizer is needed.

The keys to a good steak:

Start with quality meat.

Don't overcook it.

Don't overthink it either.

Sounds like steak for the "poors" at one time.....Of course that has been turned on it ear by the EBT.....My butcher said his best cuts are usually purchased on EBT while the cheaper cuts are asked to be run through the tenderizer by normal folks.

Salt & Pepper and a good sear makes for a great steak. I never tenderize my steaks.

Sounds like steak for the "poors" at one time.....Of course that has been turned on it ear by the EBT.....My butcher said his best cuts are usually purchased on EBT while the cheaper cuts are asked to be run through the tenderizer by normal folks.
When reading the first lines by the OP, I thought he was referencing how to cook a delicious chicken-fried steak! Ha! That is how I used to prepare them when I cooked like that. lol. I liked buying the cube steak, bringing it home, and pounding it on both sides with a thick saucer to tenderize which worked very well. Didn't like those from the store that had been already tenderized. My country-fried steaks, dredged in flour, and milk gravy with steaming hot buttermilk biscuits were a very delicious meal and that steak was just right.

Any other cut of steak will be grilled or broiled USDA, about an inch and a quarter, seasoned with salt and pepper, and Lawry's garlic salt, medium rare if you please. YUM! Same with prime rib, only much thicker
. :biggrin:

Last edited:
When reading the first lines by the OP, I thought he was referencing how to cook a delicious chicken-fried steak! Ha! That is how I used to prepare them when I cooked like that. lol. I liked buying the cube steak, bringing it home, and pounding it on both sides with a thick saucer to tenderize which worked very well. Didn't like those from the store that had been already tenderized. My country-fried steaks, dredged in flour, and milk gravy with steaming hot buttermilk biscuits were a very delicious meal and that steak was just right.

Any other cut of steak will be grilled or broiled USDA, about an inch and a quarter, seasoned with salt and pepper, and Lawry's garlic salt, medium rare if you please. YUM! Same with prime rib, only much thicker
. :biggrin:
I use a Deni Tenderizer. You don't pound the meat with a Deni Tenderizer it is on sale now at QVC for about $15.99. It's a good one. It's sold out on the Deni site but QVC still has some.

It lightly presses 49 holes through the meat at a time. It helps the marinade sink right on into, and through the meat.

For those who don't like their steaks tenderized; buy two, tenderize one steak, and leave the other one untenderized. Bake or grill both, and then taste the difference in the two.

Thank you for all of that good advice especially about the Lawry's garlic salt. Thanks for mentioning the brand name.

The key in my opinion to a good steak is to have it red or pink in the middle.

I only will eat my steak if it has some red in it and it is a little bloody, which is actually myoglobin not blood. If a steak is well done or too cooked in the middle it seems to lose it's flavor and becomes too tough to chew. I actually didn't like steak as a kid until I tried it when it was very red in the middle and bloody, yum delicious. I can't eat a steak well done, tastes awful. Medium rare to medium is the best way to eat a steak.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back