Justice Department recommends 40-year sentence for man convicted of attacking Paul Pelosi

I don't consider it petty to take crimes against our democracy seriously. It's like the events on Jan 6.

The reasons for the amount of time recommended are detailed in the memorandum:

I've downloaded 20 pages
memorandum:
Zzz

It wasn’t a crime against our “democracy” [sic].

It was an assault against an old guy in his home for reasons having nothing to do with our republic.

Attempted murders of Speakers of the House? The Speaker of the House is second in line to succeed the President, after the Vice President.

Rand Paul is a sitting US Senator. He was attacked with a baseball bat in 2017 which resulted in broken ribs. His assailant didn't even spend a year in prison for it. The prosecution only sought out 21 to 27 months.

I understand that when dealing with high profile figures harsher sentences may be merited given they could be a more likely target for violence, but 40 years for what happened is considerably over the top, particularly when you look at the severity of other crimes that take place. We have a two tier justice system.

Last edited:
Rand Paul is a sitting US Senator. He was attacked with a baseball bat in 2017 which resulted in broken ribs. His assailant didn't even spend a year in prison for it. The prosecution only sought out 21 to 27 months.

I understand that when dealing with high profile figures harsher sentences may be merited given they could be a more likely target for violence, but 40 years for what happened is considerably over the top, particularly when you look at the severity of other crimes that take place. We have a two tier justice system.
Rand Paul was not attacked for the same reasoning. As I said before, my first reaction -- reaction - was how you felt. Then reason took over.

clue" What was Senator Paul's assailant charged with?

The statute may exist. I have never heard of anybody being threatened with 40 years over an attempt.
read the court filing that you linked to through your OP link.

pelosi memorandum sentencing 3.png

pelosi memorandum sentencing 3.png

Attachments

• pelosi memorandum sentencing introduction.png
    pelosi memorandum sentencing introduction.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 1
The statute may exist. I have never heard of anybody being threatened with 40 years over an attempt.
Now tell us you don't see the difference(s). Go ahead.

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) — U.S. Sen. Rand Paul’s former neighbor was resentenced Monday to an extra seven months behind bars and six months in home detention for tackling and injuring the Kentucky lawmaker over a lawn care dispute.

Rene Boucher originally was given a 30-day sentence after pleading guilty to assaulting a member of Congress. Federal prosecutors argued the sentence was too lenient, describing the 2017 attack outside Paul’s home in Bowling Green, Kentucky, as “vicious and unprovoked.” They sought at least 21 months for Boucher.

On Monday, another federal judge ordered Boucher to serve eight months in prison followed by six months of home confinement for the assault. He was given credit for the 30 days he’s already served behind bars.

Paul, a former presidential candidate, suffered multiple broken ribs and later underwent lung and hernia surgeries that he linked to the attack.

Rand Paul attacker sentenced to additional prison time over yard assault​

Rene Boucher broke the senator's ribs in 2017 in a dispute between neighbors over yard waste.

Why do you assume I haven't done this?

40 years is a two tier justice system. Justice for me, but not for thee.

Because of your arguments comparing the two assaults? The memorandum explains why they are asking for a 40 year sentence. And has one been granted yet? No.

And to top it off, you and others are claiming a recommendation equals a two-tiered justice system? Have you lost your collective mind?

The statute may exist.
That's progress.

I have never heard of anybody being threatened with 40 years over an attempt.

Not sure how what you claim to have heard or not heard is relevant to the legal ruling.

I've posted about Rand Paul's attacker and his sentencing(s) - plural:

"Rene Boucher originally was given a 30-day sentence after pleading guilty to assaulting a member of Congress. Federal prosecutors argued the sentence was too lenient, describing the 2017 attack outside Paul’s home in Bowling Green, Kentucky, as “vicious and unprovoked.” They sought at least 21 months for Boucher.

On Monday, another federal judge ordered Boucher to serve eight months in prison followed by six months of home confinement for the assault. He was given credit for the 30 days he’s already served behind bars."

It appears the prosecution came back and asked for a more serious sentence than originally handed down. It's how they saw it.

With the attack on Pelosi:

"attempting to kidnap Member and Speaker of the United States House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi on account of the performance of her official duties...

and assault of Speaker Pelosi’s husband Paul Pelosi with the intent to impede, intimidate, or interfere with Speaker Pelosi while engaged in her official duties...

or with intent to retaliate against Speaker Pelosi on account of the performance of her official duties. PSR ¶ 3; Dkt. 180 (verdict form)"

My first thought was similar to this. But the man attacked the home of the Speaker of the House. He was serious about hurting, maiming, or even killing her.

The sentence is not harsh because of the person Nancy Pelosi. It's harsh because it was an attack on the home of the Speaker of the House. If she had been home...
If he had attacked that bitch I would have let him off with time served. For Paul I would have given him 3 years.

Forum List

Back