Justice Department recommends 40-year sentence for man convicted of attacking Paul Pelosi

So, in your ongoing pretend “analysis,” the situation of an attempted assassin who was found not responsible due to his mental illness is somehow akin to what a convicted assaulter should get for his criminal conviction.

Ho-kay 🙄
read it:

According to a memorandum filed Friday, the Department of Justice argued DePape’s actions constitute “a federal crime of terrorism,” which the DOJ states “is calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct” and “includes the attempted kidnapping of a Member of Congress.”

If you don't realize the difference, you are in serious need of a lobotomy. The Speaker of the House is second in line to succeed the President, after the Vice President. Which is why the sentence is so harsh.
The more important the victim the harsher the crime? That doesn’t sit right with me.

Attempted murder can carry a life sentence…I don’t see how 40 years is out of line with the severity of the charge
He wasn’t convicted of attempted murder.

David DePape was convicted in November of one count of assault on the immediate family member of a federal official, with the jury determining that he used a dangerous weapon, and a second count of attempted kidnapping of a federal official.
— Excerpt of link in OP.

Attempted murder can carry a life sentence…I don’t see how 40 years is out of line with the severity of the charge

"Prosecutors are recommending a 40-year sentence for the man found guilty of using a hammer to attack former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul, inside their San Francisco home in October 2022."

then people ignore the rest of the article in the OP

The more important the victim the harsher the crime? That doesn’t sit right with me.
The DOJ argued in the memo that “Both crimes are an assault on our democracy and fundamental values,” and therefore should serve as a deterrent to others.

“At a time when extremism has led to attacks on public and elected officials, this case presents a moment to speak to others harboring ideologically motivated violent dreams and plans,” the Justice Department said.

DePape’s federal sentencing date is set for May 17, and he still faces charges at the state level in California. He has pleaded not guilty to state charges including attempted murder, burglary and assault.

He wasn’t convicted of attempted murder.

— Excerpt of link in OP.
It's about sentencing.

According to a memorandum filed Friday, the Department of Justice argued DePape’s actions constitute “a federal crime of terrorism,” which the DOJ states “is calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct” and “includes the attempted kidnapping of a Member of Congress.”

It's about sentencing.

I understand it’s about sentencing.

What you and your ilk don’t understand is that the amount of prison time is the question here.

He can deserve to be imprisoned yet not deserve 40 years. The DOJ posturing, like yours, is petty.

What you and your ilk don’t understand is that the amount of prison time is the question here.

He can deserve to be imprisoned yet not deserve 40 years. The DOJ posturing, like yours, is petty.
I don't consider it petty to take crimes against our democracy seriously. It's like the events on Jan 6.

The reasons for the amount of time recommended are detailed in the memorandum:

I've downloaded 20 pages
memorandum:

DePape is a mentally ill drug abuser who presents a danger to himself and others. There is no other way to keep him off the streets.

Do you? Do you really?

pelosi memorandum sentencing 1.png

pelosi memorandum sentencing 2.png

pelosi memorandum sentencing 3.png

Lucky for Paul, his Grindr date has some moderate mental illness and the party that likes to fuck kids can make him disappear, and nobody will miss him.

I'll bet Paul was straight until Nancy's gash started smelling like toxic chemical waste....

pelosi hammer.jpg

DePape definitely needs to serve time, maybe a year or two. How does this event justify a 40 year sentence? Because it's Nancy Pelosi's husband? There are rapists, killers, and pedophiles who don't get that much time.

It's amusing how many people have come into this thread, not having read the OP link, or even being aware of the particulars of the court filing -- which the article is about:

Here Is Why a Federal Judge Rejected Hunter Biden's Second Amendment Challenge to His Gun Charge

Likening drug users to people who are "mentally ill and dangerous," the ruling says barring them from owning firearms is not unconstitutional on its face.

No one has been "likened" to people who are mentally ill and dangerous. DePape IS mentally ill and dangerous.

Are you trying to compare Hunter Biden's drug use to someone that broke into a home, smashed the homeowner in the head, causing injury and tried to kidnap a member of Congress? Really? You can't tell the difference?

Forum List

Back