CDZ Just who can't pay their rent?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
With all of the stimulus checks and bonus unemployment benefits, just who is it who can't pay their rent? Most people in that category are financially better of than they were before the economic shut down, so why are we manufacturing this myth?

The people we should feel sorry for are individuals who have lost their businesses and landlords whose tenants have figured out they can't be evicted for not paying rent. These are the people who are truly suffering from the economic shut down. The rest just collect extra money from the government and want more of it.

Landlords are dependent on rent for their income.

Did you think all rent money just goes in to Scrooge McDuck's swimming pool?

main-qimg-cdd72d0320a86cbdf71f937e03763e7f.png

Anyone who needs money to survive these times needs to look at their spending practices unless they're in their early 20's and just starting out.
The Wife and I have followed the rule of keeping at least six months of income on hand at all times.
Of course at our age now it doesnt matter and we could say fuck it and just go to ground.

Landlords are dependent on rent for their income.

Did you think all rent money just goes in to Scrooge McDuck's swimming pool?

View attachment 375091
Most of it goes to the cities/counties in the form of absurdly high taxes on rental property.
Most likely landlords make 1/3 what the government does for doing nothing. I say it's extortion and it has raised the cost of housing 1/2 to 1 week's worth of pay which is very bad.
That's up from 1 week's worth of pay paying for people's housing for 1 month.
So now people have to work 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to pay for a roof over their head instead of just 1 like I was taught when a young man. That's not right. That's not fair to the current and future generations.
Maybe with a good dose of MAGA that can be rolled back.
Somehow I still can go by the old rules..I think it's because I make more money now and my housing costs are less.
But that's not fair to young people starting out today.

Last edited:
In large heavily populated areas when the very wealthy corporations move into areas like the greater northern bay area of California, they push the demand for housing & increase the cost of both home buying and rental property. This is happing in other states like Texas, Then the greedy capitalize on this event and raise housing & rental cost to above the maximum that the traffic can handle. Greed rules.

I share an extremely large home, right on the water, with my brother. The house is about 5,600 square feet and three floors. It's got six bedrooms (one of which is my office and one his) and four and a half bathrooms. We could probably go a week without seeing each other. We're both single, so this is a good arrangement, but we've always been very close and have always been each other's best friend.

Front of house:

dh01.jpg

Back of house:

dh02.jpg

The dock:

print01aa.jpg

There's no more mortgage on the place (paid off from the estate which we inherited from our aunt two years ago). We have utilities, taxes and trash service. That's about it. While we claim St. Augustine as the city where we live, we're actually out in an unincorporated area along the St. John's River.

We've had friends stay with us during this pandemic; folks who lost their jobs and couldn't pay rent, folks who were renting and the owners decided to sell, etc. My brother and I are fortunate to be pretty well off and don't need additional income from friends. Besides, when they start paying, they stop being friends and start being clients.

When the pandemic started, I didn't file for unemployment. I've worked for myself for years, I have money, so thought "fuck it". Then, one day, I jump onto my online banking and see that Uncle Sam had deposited $1,200 into my bank account. Talking to my Mom (who is long retired and turned 86 yesterday) I found out they deposited $1,200 into her bank account, as well.

We kept the money, of course, but I have to believe if they're really interested in helping the people who truly need it, they need to get a bit more on the stick.

I think spent my $1,200 on Maker's Mark...

In large heavily populated areas when the very wealthy corporations move into areas like the greater northern bay area of California, they push the demand for housing & increase the cost of both home buying and rental property. This is happing in other states like Texas, Then the greedy capitalize on this event and raise housing & rental cost to above the maximum that the traffic can handle. Greed rules.
wealthy corporations????
.....it's called supply and demand-basic economics--not greed
California immigrant capital of the US and a bunch of illegals--high population causes housing and rental cost--not corporations
..these maps are just about the same:

population density
1598124328012.png

cheapest states to live in
1598124356989.png

California has the highest population
etc

In large heavily populated areas when the very wealthy corporations move into areas like the greater northern bay area of California, they push the demand for housing & increase the cost of both home buying and rental property.
Care to explain?
1. What kind of corporations are you talking about?
2. What makes them "wealthy" (i.e, cash on hand, stock value,etc.)?
3. How do they push the demand for housing (other than creating jobs)?
4. Would you prefer that they move out of the Bay Area (and take their jobs with them)?
Thank you.

I share an extremely large home, right on the water, with my brother. The house is about 5,600 square feet and three floors. It's got six bedrooms (one of which is my office and one his) and four and a half bathrooms. We could probably go a week without seeing each other. We're both single, so this is a good arrangement, but we've always been very close and have always been each other's best friend.

Front of house:

View attachment 378212

Back of house:

View attachment 378204

The dock:

View attachment 378206

There's no more mortgage on the place (paid off from the estate which we inherited from our aunt two years ago). We have utilities, taxes and trash service. That's about it. While we claim St. Augustine as the city where we live, we're actually out in an unincorporated area along the St. John's River.

We've had friends stay with us during this pandemic; folks who lost their jobs and couldn't pay rent, folks who were renting and the owners decided to sell, etc. My brother and I are fortunate to be pretty well off and don't need additional income from friends. Besides, when they start paying, they stop being friends and start being clients.

When the pandemic started, I didn't file for unemployment. I've worked for myself for years, I have money, so thought "fuck it". Then, one day, I jump onto my online banking and see that Uncle Sam had deposited $1,200 into my bank account. Talking to my Mom (who is long retired and turned 86 yesterday) I found out they deposited $1,200 into her bank account, as well.

We kept the money, of course, but I have to believe if they're really interested in helping the people who truly need it, they need to get a bit more on the stick.

Did your friends who stayed with you and couldn’t pay rent file for unemployment?

Dem shithole cities with $2000 a month rent for a room the size of a small shed........LOL
That’s called supply and demand. Rents are high in areas where income is high.
hahahhahahahahahh-that's NOT supply and demand
supply and demand

/səˌplī ən dəˈmand/
phrase of supply

the amount of a commodity, product, or service available and the desire of buyers for it, considered as factors regulating its price

if the income is high and not much demand, rent goes down
the rental place can't look like shit, either

Dem shithole cities with $2000 a month rent for a room the size of a small shed........LOL
supply and demand

/səˌplī ən dəˈmand/
phrase of supply

the amount of a commodity, product, or service available and the desire of buyers for it, considered as factors regulating its price

Yeah you are totally right... supply and demand has nothing to do with housing and rental prices :cuckoo:

I can’t argue with stupid so why even try?

supply and demand

/səˌplī ən dəˈmand/
phrase of supply

Yeah you are totally right... supply and demand has nothing to do with housing and rental prices :cuckoo:

you fkd up!! hahahahhahaha
.....you proved YOU are the stupid one--it's right there--and now you are trying to babblecrap out of it with insults
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

supply and demand

/səˌplī ən dəˈmand/
phrase of supply

.....you proved YOU are the stupid one--it's right there--and now you are trying to babblecrap out of it with insults
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
I’m fine letting the conversation stand where it is. Not that anybody else is paying attention or cares about who is right between the two of us. But my point of saying rent prices are a product of supply/demand and high income within communities vs. you saying it isn’t... well it pretty much speaks for itself.

supply and demand

/səˌplī ən dəˈmand/
phrase of supply

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
I’m fine letting the conversation stand where it is. Not that anybody else is paying attention or cares about who is right between the two of us. But my point of saying rent prices are a product of supply/demand and high income within communities vs. you saying it isn’t... well it pretty much speaks for itself.
...what you stated is NOT supply and demand --plain and simple
...even in poor areas, the price goes UP if the demand is UP

Front of house:

View attachment 378212

Back of house:

View attachment 378204

The dock:

View attachment 378206

Did your friends who stayed with you and couldn’t pay rent file for unemployment?

Two did, but Florida's been notoriously slow with getting things approved. I know people who filed back in April and are still waiting.

The longest anyone stayed with us was just shy of three weeks. While we didn't charge her anything, her appreciation was evident by the amount of cooking and cleaning she did around here...

Front of house:

View attachment 378212

Back of house:

View attachment 378204

The dock:

View attachment 378206

Two did, but Florida's been notoriously slow with getting things approved. I know people who filed back in April and are still waiting.

The longest anyone stayed with us was just shy of three weeks. While we didn't charge her anything, her appreciation was evident by the amount of cooking and cleaning she did around here...
You sound like good people. Thanks for sharing your story. All the best!

supply and demand

/səˌplī ən dəˈmand/
phrase of supply

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
...what you stated is NOT supply and demand --plain and simple
...even in poor areas, the price goes UP if the demand is UP
This is like arguing with a toddler about why 2+2=4. I’m sorry that you don’t understand but I’m not compelled to waste anymore time trying to explain the obvious.

Forum List

Back