Just What Obama Needs

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
crude oil is headed towards $87 bucks a barrel. aka $3.50 bucks a gallon with 8 million unemployed. :) Bad Bad Bad for democwats. Somehow methinks the dude knew this when he agreed to some "offshore drilling".. :)Americans are gonna get real pissed about this.. oh well..

Correction: 15M people are unemployed, an increase of 134,000 last month.

Ahh but it raises the GDP and productivity figures. Recovery assured?

I told everyone when the recession started, want recover? Like $4 gas? You will not have one without the other.

Well I'll be surprised if it doesn't get up over $5.00 a gallon in a year or two. After all, G.W. had it up over $4.00 with his cheapening of the dollar. Back then the Republicans were blaming the lack of off-shore drilling and demand in Asia when all the while America was not found wanting for a single drop of oil and Bush was ever increasing the national oil reserve.

The issue is how this increase will affect consumer activity. 70% of the economy is driven by consumer purchases of goods and services. The Obama Administration includes pretty aggressive GDP growth rates in its budget projections - and still yields huge deficits. If consumers have to retrench yet again to accommodate higher energy prices, that growth has no chance of being achieved.

And yet many are opposed to our weaning ourselves off of the oil teat thru alternatives and conservation.

I am all for alternatives. And when our scientists find these viable alternatives that will stand without Government subsidies we'll go after whatever they find. In the mean time start drilling and keep drilling, Every Dollar that doesn't leave the USA is a good thing. And Obama's little offshore adventure seems to be mostly smoky mirrors.

crude oil is headed towards $87 bucks a barrel. aka $3.50 bucks a gallon with 8 million unemployed. :) Bad Bad Bad for democwats. Somehow methinks the dude knew this when he agreed to some "offshore drilling".. :)Americans are gonna get real pissed about this.. oh well..

The offshore drilling is no more than a bone being thrown to the republicans, so he can push his Cap and Trade agenda through.
If one was to look deep into this, they will find that it's far from a done deal with the drilling and the House can stop it.

I bet you didn't bitch when it was 4.30 something during the Bush years, and when Exxon recorded record profits. :cuckoo:

I bet you didn't bitch when it was 4.30 something during the Bush years, and when Exxon recorded record profits. :cuckoo:

I wasn't participating here during that time - but believed back then that oil prices were being driven by increased demand from the developing world, speculation, and easy money (money seeks assets).

In 2008, Exxon's net profit was $45.2B and it paid $36.5B in income taxes. If their profits were excessive, so were their income taxes.

XOM: Income Statement for Exxon Mobil Corporation Common - Yahoo! Finance

sure as fuck did, nothing pisses Americans off more than "pain at the pump" and since your asswipe is in the wh we get "pain at the pump" and 15 million unemployed.. equal,, really really really pissed.

You can bet your bottom Dollar I was bitching about it.

Well then get ready to bitch again.
Bush had 8 years to help prevent or minimize it and did nothing with full govt control for 6 years.

Actually I was wrong he promoted ethanol.
Which provided jobs and money to the USA and reduced oil imports.

Bush had 8 years to help prevent or minimize it and did nothing with full govt control for 6 years.

Ethanol is only a partial step. And we are too dumb to look at what Brazil is doing with it. We use corn they use sugar beets. Guess which one costs less.

Ethanol is only a partial step. And we are too dumb to look at what Brazil is doing with it. We use corn they use sugar beets. Guess which one costs less.

Ethanol is snake-oil. Converting corn to ethanol is a net loss of energy.

The only reason we're subsidizing ethanol is the Corn lobby.

Forum List

Back