June 6, 1944. If the Invasion Had Failed

If the panzers had been moved to the beaches, they would have been destroyed by a combination of allied airpower and naval gunfire. Rommel had never fought under a hostile sky or against guns that he couldn't flank and destroy. That's pretty hard to do with tanks when the guns are mile or so offshore.
Allies we’re unable to to be effective against German armor until they tried to move. If they’d been at the beaches they’d have never been seen. That’s why Normandy wasn’t over until 11 weeks after the invasion started.

We put everything we had available in the European theater into the Normandy landings. And years of deception making the Germans put dozens of Divisions in the wrong locations. Most likely the Soviets would have taken all of Europe except Italy and Greece.
Germany may have at least fought Stalin to a stalemate without the land invasion from the west...Splitting up the armies was too much for them to bear.

Last edited:
Another story my father told me about his experience in WWII. While stationed at Le Havre, a large truck pulled up outside the building my dad was living in with other GIs. They were told to unload the truck. It was full of dead Germans. Some were of the luftwaffe, fished out of the English Channel. My father grabbed one to lift out of the truck, his hand under the dead German’s neck. As he lifted, his hand went through the neck and the head fall on the ground. My father proceeded to vomit right there.

Last edited:
Germany may have at least fought Stalin to a stalemate without the land invasion from the west...Splitting up the armies was too much for them to bear.

Germany was already in retreat in the East before D Day even occurred

Its a fact
Russia was already driving Germany back after Kursk
Germany was never again on the offensive
Yes, they were in retreat but if Normandy had faile the Western Front forces could have been redeployed to the East.

A lot of hypotheticals of what ifs.

But bottom line is the invasion was run by a man who assumed full responsibility no matter the outcome.

The dirty little secret is that Ike was prepared to commit a million Troops if that's what it took. Biased "historians" claim that the Normandy Invasion was a success because we "only" lost about 2,000 but they forget about the two month "breakout" that cost so many more lives. The first thing they teach you in infantry school is not to attempt a direct assault on an impregnable fortress. The propaganda about the "secrecy" of the D.Day landings was exaggerated. It didn't take the Germans long to beef up the defense. It boiled down to which side could afford to sustain the most casualties.

The dirty little secret is that Ike was prepared to commit a million Troops if that's what it took. Biased "historians" claim that the Normandy Invasion was a success because we "only" lost about 2,000 but they forget about the two month "breakout" that cost so many more lives. The first thing they teach you in infantry school is not to attempt a direct assault on an impregnable fortress. The propaganda about the "secrecy" of the D.Day landings was exaggerated. It didn't take the Germans long to beef up the defense. It boiled down to which side could afford to sustain the most casualties.
There was no question we would invade. When and where were the only questions.

And the Germans put over a hundred divisions in the wrong places in anticipation, from Norway to the Med. France offered excellent defensive terrain for the Germans.

But the war had only one outcome after we had a foothold on D-Day. But like every war, the loser continues to needlessly fight on taking countless lives and destruction of their nation instead of surrendering.

And 4,415 Allies died on June 6.

Forum List

Back