Judge Orders OAN to Pay Rachel Maddow and MSNBC $250,000 in Attorney Fees For Filing Frivolous Defamation Lawsuit

Ok, would they pay just for legal fees or something extra as well. Like for reputation damage? I wish someone paid me half of a million dollars! I even agree for a quarter! I'm in such a bad situation right now with my loans.

As already correctly noted, in no manner do the lawsuits ‘violate’ free speech
You law-fuckers are in the wrong here, because in fact Democrat lawsuits grossly violate every precept of human rights and dignity, due process of law and Constitution ever recorded in all of human history.
In no manner do the lawsuits ‘violate’ free speech

Good news! Right-wingers should have known from the git-go that one does not go around making false statements about others, accusing them of all kinds of things. Yet they persist in doing it because they come from a lower class of people than the rest of us. Let them prove the truth of their claims or pay up.

They continued to do it because they get away with it.

I don't think they will be getting away with it for much longer.
Why did it take so long for everyone to bite back? If these lawsuits had been filed as soon as the EC met in Dec., if fb, you tube, google had moved then to shut off T**** and the lie machine and the lunatics at Parler, maybe Jan 6 never would have happened. Everything that has been done has been legal and could have been done a month earlier. Twitter had to lead the way with its warnings and flags, and finally saying NO to the Pres. But the horse was already out before they closed the barn door. Maybe next time we'll move a little sooner.

Good news! Right-wingers should have known from the git-go that one does not go around making false statements about others, accusing them of all kinds of things. Yet they persist in doing it because they come from a lower class of people than the rest of us. Let them prove the truth of their claims or pay up.

Why did it take so long for everyone to bite back? If these lawsuits had been filed as soon as the EC met in Dec., if fb, you tube, google had moved then to shut off T**** and the lie machine and the lunatics at Parler, maybe Jan 6 never would have happened. Everything that has been done has been legal and could have been done a month earlier. Twitter had to lead the way with its warnings and flags, and finally saying NO to the Pres. But the horse was already out before they closed the barn door. Maybe next time we'll move a little sooner.

To be fair, I don't think that anything like this has happened before and the social media and internet were in unchartered territory, taken by surprise. I, myself, have not known how to react to a lot of what has gone on recently because it never occurred to me that people might act this way. I'm used to people being polite and playing by the rules. There never was any chapter in Life's Little Handbook that says how to deal with it.

This is very interesting news.

oan tried to sue Rachel Maddow and MSNBC, their case is thrown out of court.

So now oan has to pay a quarter of a million dollars for Maddow's and MSNBC's legal fees.

Great news the 2nd time around as well.
No it's not great news, we all know had the situation been reversed the judge would have ruled differently. But maybe not now as this would appear to free OAN , which is NOT far right, ( give em a listen, you'll see, they are very professional) to make up lies about Maddow and just spew them. Liable/slander is not protected speech. But OAN being burdened with integrity and character won't sink to her level but somebody has to. You can bet those legal cost are inflated which should constitute theft.

This is very interesting news.

oan tried to sue Rachel Maddow and MSNBC, their case is thrown out of court.

So now oan has to pay a quarter of a million dollars for Maddow's and MSNBC's legal fees.

Great news the 2nd time around as well.
No it's not great news, we all know had the situation been reversed the judge would have ruled differently. But maybe not now as this would appear to free OAN , which is NOT far right, ( give em a listen, you'll see, they are very professional) to make up lies about Maddow and just spew them. Liable/slander is not protected speech. But OAN being burdened with integrity and character won't sink to her level but somebody has to. You can bet those legal cost are inflated which should constitute theft.
Thanks for the chuckle.

More please.

we all know had the situation been reversed the judge would have ruled differently

No, we don't "all" know this.

II. Legal Standard
California's anti-SLAPP statute is intended to "provide a procedural remedy to dispose of lawsuits that are brought to chill the valid exercise of constitutional rights." Rusheen v. Cohen , 37 Cal. 4th 1048, 1055–56, 39 Cal.Rptr.3d 516, 128 P.3d 713 (2006). The anti-SLAPP law provides in relevant part:
A cause of action against a person arising from any act of that person in furtherance of the person's right of petition or free speech under the United States Constitution or the California Constitution in connection with a public issue shall be subject to a special motion to strike, unless the court determines that the plaintiff has established that there is a probability that the plaintiff will prevail on the claim.
Cal. Civ. Proc. Code § 425.16(b)(1).
Courts apply a two-step process to determine whether an action is subject to an anti-SLAPP special motion to strike. Navellier v. Sletten , 29 Cal. 4th 82, 88, 124 Cal.Rptr.2d 530, 52 P.3d 703 (2002). First, the defendant must establish that "the challenged cause of action is one arising from protected activity." Id. Once the defendant makes a threshold showing that the act in question is protected, the burden shifts to the plaintiff, who must establish "a probability of prevailing on the claim." Id.
Herring Networks, Inc. v. Maddow
, 445 F. Supp. 3d 1042, 1046-47 (S.D. Cal. 2020)

Source: Herring Networks, Inc. v. Maddow, 445 F. Supp. 3d 1042 | Casetext Search + Citator

The case cite is 445 F.Supp. 3rd 1042.

To be fair, I don't think that anything like this has happened before and the social media and internet were in unchartered territory, taken by surprise. I, myself, have not known how to react to a lot of what has gone on recently because it never occurred to me that people might act this way. I'm used to people being polite and playing by the rules. There never was any chapter in Life's Little Handbook that says how to deal with it.
That's very true. I sometimes am at a loss for words here for the same reason.

That's very true. I sometimes am at a loss for words here for the same reason.

I would have gone to Woodstock, but my parents forbade it. I'm of that generation and had a subscription to the Village Voice and ran away to Greenwich Village one time, with repercussions, even though my mother took me there very often to the art shows in Washington Square. But nothing prepared us for this, for people fighting against the U.S. from within. Cursing and screaming, attacking democracy, and refusing to do what is best for American society.

I guess that we are getting our dose of what our antecedents experienced before we were born. We were born comfortable, but this is so fragile.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back