Josh Hamilton relapsed back in January

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
Hamilton discusses relapse last winter | MLB.com: News

ANAHEIM -- Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton, a recovering substance abuser whose comeback from personal problems was one of the biggest stories in baseball in 2008, admitted Saturday that he had a night of excessive alcohol drinking at a Phoenix-area bar back in January.

"It hurts me a lot to do something in the eyes of the Lord that is wrong and I've done something wrong," Hamilton said. "But the biggest thing is Katie. That stirs up a lot of feelings. It's tough. Obviously Katie and I have a strong relationship and I hate that I put her through this."

He also called Rangers general manager Jon Daniels and Major League Baseball immediately afterward. Ultimately, he met with doctors and counselors as well as the Rangers to address the situation. Because he did not test positive for banned substances, no punitive measures were taken either by the club or Major League Baseball.

"My first reaction in January was one of concern," Daniels said. "Since then I've talked to a lot of people and they say it was significant that he came forward immediately and was honest about it. It's not a good situation but he handled it as best he could. All we can do is support him.

No one's perfect.

This guy is a class act when it comes to professional sports players that deal with this type of problem.

I think I admire him more than any Phillies player. Sometimes it just goes beyond their on-field abilities.

Forum List

Back