Joe Biden has the "Nuclear Football". Do we want the military commander to agree with the launch, or just follow the president's order? (Poll)

Should the nuclear launch code require the military agree with the launch?

• 1. No, just the president should give the order to launch, one person with sole authority.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2. Yes, the military commander should need to agree with the launch AND the targeting.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

kyzr

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2009
The AL part of PA
Nancy Pelosi called General Milley on J6 to ask him to ensure that the nuclear codes were secure, and that Trump could not launch a nuclear strike, to which Milley assured her that Trump was contained, in violation of the nuclear protocol.

The president can launch any time he wants to, supposedly. I thought it took two people to authorize a nuclear launch, but no, just the president can launch.
However, I'm not sure I'm upset that the military commander can check the president's order, especially if the president is Joe Biden.

‘Extraordinary Moment’: Jan. 6 Committee Reveals Gen. Milley Agreed With Pelosi Trump is ‘Crazy’ – Reassured Her Nuke Codes Were Safe​

No, because it was decided long ago, and no one is changing it.
Nancy & Milley usurped Trump's nuclear authority. I think Biden is less competent than Trump.

I get that a real president should be fine, but we just had two bad ones. (Wag the Dog types)

Nancy & Milley usurped Trump's nuclear authority. I think Biden is less competent than Trump.

I get that a real president should be fine, but we just had two bad ones. (Wag the Dog types)

One, yes! Two, no!

Milley should have been fired by Biden, but we know that will never happen.

The president has to press the button but who are the unelected phantoms who put his trembling thumb on the freaking button?

1. President Biden reportedly wanted that weather balloon immediately shot down, but the military reportedly suggested that it be done later.

2. Since everyone knows that President Biden's cognitive acuity is less than optimal, maybe the military might again respectfully delay any order from the President regarding nuclear warfare.

When President Nixon was under pressure to resign because of Watergate, his appointed Secretary of Defense told all generals to ignore any orders from the President and to obey only orders from the Defense Secretary.

1. President Biden reportedly wanted that weather balloon immediately shot down, but the military reportedly suggested that it be done later.

2. Since everyone knows that President Biden's cognitive acuity is less than optimal, maybe the military might again respectfully delay any order from the President regarding nuclear warfare.

3. When President Nixon was under pressure to resign because of Watergate, his appointed Secretary of Defense told all generals to ignore any orders from the President and to obey only orders from the Defense Secretary.
Got any links proving those assertions? I call bullshit on #1

I heard a long time ago, that there's actually three people required to launch nuclear missiles. The CiC, and two people that are not to be mentioned. The two, are only there as a safety valve for: "OMG, the President has lost his mind!" Otherwise, they're just button security. If you could do it from the football, wouldn't someone have stolen it and sold it to a foreign nation by now?

I heard a long time ago, that there's actually three people required to launch nuclear missiles. The CiC, and two people that are not to be mentioned. The two, are only there as a safety valve for: "OMG, the President has lost his mind!" Otherwise, they're just button security. If you could do it from the football, wouldn't someone have stolen it and sold it to a foreign nation by now?
Nope. There is no "nuclear football" anymore. Its a retinal scan. So there is nothing to steal. Basically its the president's call.
I'm not sure who in the military, if anyone, has the authority to declare a launch an "illegal order"?

Nope. There is no "nuclear football" anymore. Its a retinal scan. So there is nothing to steal. Basically its the president's call.
I'm not sure who in the military, if anyone, has the authority to declare a launch an "illegal order"?

How about a link that backs up what you claim? That link was useless.

How about a link that backs up what you claim? That link was useless.
The wiki link below says that the president is still identified by the "biscuit" card. Another link said he was identified by retinal scan. Maybe that is classified info?

Before the order can be processed by the military, the president must be positively identified using a special code issued on a plastic card, nicknamed the "biscuit".[7] The United States has a two-man rule in place at nuclear launch facilities, and while only the president can order the release of nuclear weapons, the order must be verified by the secretary of defense to be an authentic order given by the president (there is a hierarchy of succession in the event the president is killed in an attack). This verification process ensures the order came from the actual president; the secretary of defense has no veto power and must comply with the president's order. Once all the codes have been verified, the president "may direct the use of nuclear weapons through an executive order via the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to the combatant commanders, and, ultimately, to the forces in the field exercising direct control of the weapons."[8] These orders are given and then re-verified for authenticity.

The wiki link below says that the president is still identified by the "biscuit" card. Another link said he was identified by retinal scan. Maybe that is classified info?

Before the order can be processed by the military, the president must be positively identified using a special code issued on a plastic card, nicknamed the "biscuit".[7] The United States has a two-man rule in place at nuclear launch facilities, and while only the president can order the release of nuclear weapons, the order must be verified by the secretary of defense to be an authentic order given by the president (there is a hierarchy of succession in the event the president is killed in an attack). This verification process ensures the order came from the actual president; the secretary of defense has no veto power and must comply with the president's order. Once all the codes have been verified, the president "may direct the use of nuclear weapons through an executive order via the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to the combatant commanders, and, ultimately, to the forces in the field exercising direct control of the weapons."[8] These orders are given and then re-verified for authenticity.

Nice backtracking on your original claim!

Forum List

Back