Jimmy Carter: The Original George Santos: Carter called himself a nuclear physicist during 1976 campaign after just 6months nuclear submarine training

The shutting down of the reactor was crucial in preventing a potential nuclear disaster in the Canadian city, as a full meltdown could have eventually occurred.

In his book, Jimmy Carter talks about his best friend being a black kid. THey would have to ride in different places on the train, and then meet to go to the movies. His dad sold supplies to black farmers even though it caused whites to boycott the store & vandalize it.

I'd like a fact check from the media on that!

yea i went there. i go boldy where other mere mortals don't dare to go! this guy was a fraud

2nd worst president in my lifetime...

'I had applied for the nuclear submarine program, and Admiral Rickover was interviewing me for the job. It was the first time I met Admiral Rickover and we sat in a large room by ourselves for more than two hours, and he let me choose any subjects I wished to discuss.

'Very carefully I chose those about which I knew most at the time - current events, seamanship, music, literature, naval tactics, electronics, gunnery -- and he began to ask me a series of questions of increasing difficulty. In each instance, he soon proved that I knew relatively little about the subject I had chosen.

'He always looked right into my eyes, and he never smiled. I was saturated with a cold sweat.'

Finally Rickover asked his future commander in chief what his standing was in his Naval Academy graduating class, and Carter said he answered, only to encounter the implacable admiral's question ''Did you do your best?''

'I started to say, 'Yes sir,' but I rembered who this was and recalled several times I could have learned more about our allies, our enemies, weapons, strategy and so forth. I was just human. I finally gulped and said, 'No sir, I didn't always do my best.'

'He looked at me for a long time, and then turned his chair around to end the interview. He asked one final question, which I have never been able to forget -- or to answer. He said, 'Why not?' I sat there for awhile, shaken, and then slowly left the room.'

yea i went there. i go boldy where other mere mortals don't dare to go! this guy was a fraud

It's hard to believe that Newsweek rated the claim as "true."

1676858052070.png

Carter was part of the cleanup operation. He was a laborer. A sacrificial body who could go in for a bit before they received too much radiation dose. As he states, he was sent in to turn a couple of bolts, and run out after 90 seconds.

The reactor had already melted down and there was a hydrogen explosion. It's basically the worst things that could possibly happen. Carter did not prevent squat.

Last edited:
In March 1953, Carter began nuclear power school, a six-month non-credit course covering nuclear power plant operation at the Union College in Schenectady.[21] His intent was to eventually work aboard USS Seawolf, which was planned to be the second U.S. nuclear submarine. His plans changed when his father died of pancreatic cancer two months before construction of Seawolf began, and Carter obtained a release from active duty so he could take over the family peanut business.[32] Deciding to leave Schenectady proved difficult, as Rosalynn had grown comfortable with their life there.[33][34] She said later that returning to small-town life in Plains seemed "a monumental step backward."[35] Carter left active duty on October 9, 1953.

2nd worst president in my lifetime...

'I had applied for the nuclear submarine program, and Admiral Rickover was interviewing me for the job. It was the first time I met Admiral Rickover and we sat in a large room by ourselves for more than two hours, and he let me choose any subjects I wished to discuss.

'Very carefully I chose those about which I knew most at the time - current events, seamanship, music, literature, naval tactics, electronics, gunnery -- and he began to ask me a series of questions of increasing difficulty. In each instance, he soon proved that I knew relatively little about the subject I had chosen.

'He always looked right into my eyes, and he never smiled. I was saturated with a cold sweat.'

Finally Rickover asked his future commander in chief what his standing was in his Naval Academy graduating class, and Carter said he answered, only to encounter the implacable admiral's question ''Did you do your best?''

'I started to say, 'Yes sir,' but I rembered who this was and recalled several times I could have learned more about our allies, our enemies, weapons, strategy and so forth. I was just human. I finally gulped and said, 'No sir, I didn't always do my best.'

'He looked at me for a long time, and then turned his chair around to end the interview. He asked one final question, which I have never been able to forget -- or to answer. He said, 'Why not?' I sat there for awhile, shaken, and then slowly left the room.'

I once gave my son A quickie lesson about responsibility by outing that Carter account of his meeting with the Admiral.

Why not the best? I first read the title years ago and thought Carter was an arrogant jerk. Then I read the account and I had to give Peanuts the benefit of the doubt.

My son mocked me the next time I tried to motivate him with that same line. (He had a point.)

Forum List

Back