Jerry Falwell just died

say, i dont recall saddam resigning from office after political egg landed on his face... indeed, we sure are the same. of COURSE falwells grass roots political organization based on democracy is as insideous as saddam! Our treatemnt of the native americans in the 1800's prove it!
Is there any truth in this statement or is it pure sarcasm? Given your obsession with Native Indians, it's hard to tell.

of course it is neither here nor there.... do you think that perhaps this kind of tangent is why those on the right accuse those on the left of strawmanning a debate?
And of course you followed this post up by mocking and implying that Falwell's only impact on society was an assault on the teletubbies.

I'm sorry you were saying something about strawmanning a debate just then?

did Falwell force anyone to conform or die?

did fallwell FORCE his followers on pain of anything valid in american politics?

again, who died because falwell used democracy to push an agenda that you dont agree with?

i tellya... nothing says forced underground quite like an annual pride day parade...

perhaps you can tell me exactly what falwell has said and stood for that even remotely hinders your life in a tangible way?

you know.. as opposed to, say, the iraqi soccer team under saddams offspring......

did fallwell FORCE his followers on pain of anything valid in american politics?

again, who died because falwell used democracy to push an agenda that you dont agree with?

i tellya... nothing says forced underground quite like an annual pride day parade...

perhaps you can tell me exactly what falwell has said and stood for that even remotely hinders your life in a tangible way?

you know.. as opposed to, say, the iraqi soccer team under saddams offspring......

Since when did Saddam become the measuring stick by which people are judged? Wait, let me guess, Hitler and Stalin were unavailable. I guess by your logic McCarthy and Farrakhan are swell people by comparison.

After force is no longer an option, Indoctrination through propaganda is the only option.

Since when did Saddam become the measuring stick by which people are judged? Wait, let me guess, Hitler and Stalin were unavailable. I guess by your logic McCarthy and Farrakhan are swell people by comparison.

neither of which killed anyone to remain political relevance in american politics just like fallwell didnt, eh?

where is that constitutional amendment that mandates being nice swell people at? I cant seem to find it in my copy.

feel free to let me know exactly how your life has been restricted by jerry falwell and his opinions...

After force is no longer an option, Indoctrination through propaganda is the only option.

which, AGAIN, the same can be said about every cookie cutter liberal arts major from a state college this side of the 60s, yes?

what is your point?

ill ask you the same question:

what, exactly, have you been restricted from due to falwells practice of democracy in american politics?

where is that constitutional amendment that mandates being nice swell people at? I cant seem to find it in my copy.

I believe it's found in the same place that says you can't talk negatively about someone that just died.

I believe it's found in the same place that says you can't talk negatively about someone that just died.

find where ive suggested that you CANT.... in fact ive said quite the opposite...

im only pointing out how dancing around a sombrero with a pair of maracas and a shit eating grin will make you the flip side of the same coin of your political opposite..

by all means.. enjoy, hombre...

feel free to let me know exactly how your life has been restricted by jerry falwell and his opinions...
I don't need to. Falwell is a controversial public figure and this is a message board. If someone wants to voice their opinion on Falwell's politics, life, beliefs, or ideology then they should regardless if he's dead and without regard to selective PC by other board members.

find where ive suggested that you CANT.... in fact ive said quite the opposite...

im only pointing out how dancing around a sombrero with a pair of maracas and a shit eating grin will make you the flip side of the same coin of your political opposite..

by all means.. enjoy, hombre...

The flip side of fence riding, middle of the road politics is fence riding, middle of the road politics. I'm content with that. Have a nice day, shogun.

I don't need to. Falwell is a controversial public figure and this is a message board. If someone wants to voice their opinion on Falwell's politics, life, beliefs, or ideology then they should regardless if he's dead and without regard to selective PC by other board members.

thats quite a copout, buddy...

hey.. lets pretend that Falwell was the debil and then backpeddle when asked for specific examples that make him so evil... so he used the democratic process better than your team.. so what... shall we bitch about how the right demonizes the left now and make this ironic circle complete?

The flip side of fence riding, middle of the road politics is fence riding, middle of the road politics. I'm content with that. Have a nice day, shogun.

it's fenceriding to ask you specifically for the an example of your life that has been restricted due to Falwell? Were you a telletubby fan or something? Did his throng of followers keep you from flying a rainbow flag on your front lawn? Did your mother take away your D&D dice and players handbook or something?

The very stability of a democratic america rests upon finding common ground and a MIDDLE road that doesnt tip either left or right. Perhaps you can figure out why people shrug off far lefters like you shrug off far righties after complaining about middle of the roaders looking for common ground...

the golden rule, buddy.. believe it or not it is a two way street.

thats quite a copout, buddy...

hey.. lets pretend that Falwell was the debil and then backpeddle when asked for specific examples that make him so evil...
so he used the democratic process better than your team.. so what... shall we bitch about how the right demonizes the left now and make this ironic circle complete?

Have you lost your bearing? It's a political message board. If you're tired of the bitching or the opinions then don't read it.

Show me where I said that he was the devil. I never stated a personal opinion either way. I said he was a controversial, public figure. His legacy is open to discussion.

Personally, I don't care for Falwell's politics. I thought he was a corporate lobbyist and used his influence to push his religious agenda and tried to move the line between Church and State. Falwell's death doesn't give me pleasure but I'd like to hear from those it did.

so you thrive on dialog that makes your side just as shitty as the other side?

looking forward to really showing em how it's done when ann coulter dies too?

again, revel in seeing whatever dialog that gives you a chubby... as if the first three pages of condemnation don't illustrate my point.

enjoy!

it's fenceriding to ask you specifically for the an example of your life that has been restricted due to Falwell? Were you a telletubby fan or something? Did his throng of followers keep you from flying a rainbow flag on your front lawn? Did your mother take away your D&D dice and players handbook or something?

The very stability of a democratic america rests upon finding common ground and a MIDDLE road that doesnt tip either left or right. Perhaps you can figure out why people shrug off far lefters like you shrug off far righties after complaining about middle of the roaders looking for common ground...

the golden rule, buddy.. believe it or not it is a two way street.
Why does one have to be directly affected to have an opinion of someone? Maybe you should PM Scooter and ask him to close all the threads about Ahmadinejad and Hugo Chavez because that kind of talk bothers you. I don't know how many times I have to say this, Jerry Falwell is a public and political figure and one doesn't need to be personally affected by him to have an opinion of him. This is a political message board, all opinions welcome.

I shrug off far lefties just as much as I shrug off far righties. If Michael Moore died tomorrow I'd have no guilt cracking jokes about his dishonesty and attributing his death to the hundreds of hamburgers he ate every hour. I've nothing personal against him and his death wouldn't give me any satisfaction..but I wouldn't hold back.

so you thrive on dialog that makes your side just as shitty as the other side?

looking forward to really showing em how it's done when ann coulter dies too?

again, revel in seeing whatever dialog that gives you a chubby... as if the first three pages of condemnation don't illustrate my point.

enjoy!
Based on posting history, the general condemnation regarding Falwell from some of the people here is selective and I consider it meaningless. Condemnation from you seems pretty consistent though. I've no problems being "condemned" by someone whose post history consists of constantly bitching about the general makeup of the other members and calling the board shitty and worthless. How about we just agree that I'm a bad person and we'll leave it at that?

wow.. and to think you just accused others on here of being selective and meaningless....

I think the circle of irony is complete, bruce leroy.. there is nothing more I can teach you.. here, take this belt buckle that once belonged to bruce lee and go find the master down at sum dum goys fortune cookie shop...

which, AGAIN, the same can be said about every cookie cutter liberal arts major from a state college this side of the 60s, yes?

what is your point?

ill ask you the same question:

what, exactly, have you been restricted from due to falwells practice of democracy in american politics?

I cant speak out about a man who used his position to manuipulate people toward his will, under the guise of Gods will?

I may not have been directly effected by his work, But what If I was Gay? or wanted an abortion? Or I was paralised and could benefit from stem cell research?

At what point does it become hypocritical to speak out against abuse of power? do I have to be poor, gay, and disabled to speak against a man?

Of course Jerry Falwel didnt incite Riots and condone murder or savagery, But he threatened people of faith with a life of eternal damnation if they didnt adhere to his teachings, which were spread as the word of god.

He told people to hate fags and baby killing abortion doctors, and stem cell researchers.

that indirectly effects a large majority of people, and you dont seem to mind, cause people like him came into power and made up rules that said - Hate only has to prove it is religious, and it no longer counts as hate.

Falwel advocated this kind of thing.

I could never get away with insulting a homosexual, without fear of backlash, And I couldnt label someone's sexual preference as sin, and advocate my prejudice as Gods word and law.

You cant get away with saying - If you try and stop me from insulting Homosexuals it violates my freedom of prejudice.

But thanks to guys in power like Falwell, who manipulated the system, you can get away with saying It violates my freedom of religion.

Whats the difference?

No, I may not have been directly effected, but many Americans have, because Falwell used his power and democratic manipulations to acheive his goals.

And because Rich white men made the rules of democracy, and have continued to mold manipulate and remodel the laws in which rich white men are the beneficiaries,

Yes, I speak out against Falwell, and his successful Democratic manipulation of the public.

Just because our slanted democracy gives him the legal right to do so, doesnt make it right.

wow.. and to think you just accused others on here of being selective and meaningless....

I think the circle of irony is complete, bruce leroy.. there is nothing more I can teach you.. here, take this belt buckle that once belonged to bruce lee and go find the master down at sum dum goys fortune cookie shop...

LMAO. I guess the appeals to decency and your condemnation for uncivility weren't genuine after all. So much for consistency.

I cant speak out about a man who used his position to manuipulate people toward his will, under the guise of Gods will?
I may not have been directly effected by his work, But what If I was Gay? or wanted an abortion? Or I was paralised and could benefit from stem cell research?
At what point does it become hypocritical to speak out against abuse of power? do I have to be poor, gay, and disabled to speak against a man?
Of course Jerry Falwel didnt incite Riots and condone murder or savagery, But he threatened people of faith with a life of eternal damnation if they didnt adhere to his teachings, which were spread as the word of god.
He told people to hate fags and baby killing abortion doctors, and stem cell researchers.
that indirectly effects a large majority of people, and you dont seem to mind, cause people like him came into power and made up rules that said - Hate only has to prove it is religious, and it no longer counts as hate.
Falwel advocated this kind of thing.
I could never get away with insulting a homosexual, without fear of backlash, And I couldnt label someone's sexual preference as sin, and advocate my prejudice as Gods word and law.
You cant get away with saying - If you try and stop me from insulting Homosexuals it violates my freedom of prejudice.
But thanks to guys in power like Falwell, who manipulated the system, you can get away with saying It violates my freedom of religion.
Whats the difference?
No, I may not have been directly effected, but many Americans have, because Falwell used his power and democratic manipulations to acheive his goals.
nd because Rich white men made the rules of democracy, and have continued to mold manipulate and remodel the laws in which rich white men are the beneficiaries,
Yes, I speak out against Falwell, and his successful Democratic manipulation of the public.
Just because our slanted democracy gives him the legal right to do so, doesnt make it right.

care to seperate the fact from the opinion?

must I remind you that his followers were no more brainwashed than a liberal arts education at a state college? You claim that he held some heaven threat against those who did not follow him yet are there not still a MYRIAD of religions available that dont take the same stance as his? are you STILL not free to choose another to your hearts content? Did someone get dragged by their unconcious head into Falwells church while I wasnt looking?

I hate to remind you but this is still the same America where diversity (remember that word?) pretty much garentees that your opinion on any given issue probably wont be the only option available.. on homosexuality.. on foreign policy.. on whatever.

at the end of the day, DESPITE YOUR DIFFERENCE OF OPINION, he still didnt pillage and murder to force his will.

he used democracy.

better than your side.

get over it.

ps...

until you want to start DICTATING the acceptable range of biblical interpretations allowed ill remind you about that pesky first amendment... DOH! not just a tool for Ferlinghetti to use on the supreme court, yo...

Forum List

Back