Japan police arrest 73-yr-old man who kept his disabled son in a coffin-sized wooden cage for 20yrs

Isn’t that the typical size of a Japanese apartment?

capsule-hotel-home-photography-enclosed-living-small-won-kim-japan-16.jpg

This type of thing happens quite a bit there. It is common for the retarded and the crippled to sent away to state institutions. There is great shame associated with people who cannot contribute as well as the families who produce them.
You rarely, if ever see children with Down's Syndrome or other genetic diseases in Japanese society.

This type of thing happens quite a bit there. .....

That is not true.
Oh...it's incredibly true.
This is a Reuters story from 2016 about the murder of 19 disabled in their sleep. It highlights Japan's cultural view of the disabled.
"Seiko Noda, a prominent ruling party lawmaker who has suffered abuse on the internet for “wasting taxpayers’ money” on medical care for her five-year-old disabled son, Masaki, was not surprised that the Sagamihara victims’ families chose anonymity.

“Some families are positive and try to change the world by being open about their disabled children. But the ‘silent majority’ still has a negative view and does not want it known that they have disabled children,” Noda, 56, told Reuters."

Japan confronts disability stigma after silence over murder...

Having disabled children in Japanese culture is considered shameful. The disabled often cannot work and as such are seen as a societal burden. If you cannot contribute in Japanese culture it is considered a dishonor, regardless of circumstance. Families feel this and Japanese who are normally very lovely are not shy about their opinion of it.
I am mixed on the topic.

This type of thing happens quite a bit there. It is common for the retarded and the crippled to sent away to state institutions. There is great shame associated with people who cannot contribute as well as the families who produce them.
You rarely, if ever see children with Down's Syndrome or other genetic diseases in Japanese society.
Do they abort downs babies, before and after birth?

That is not true.
Oh...it's incredibly true.
This is a Reuters story from 2016 about the murder of 19 disabled in their sleep. It highlights Japan's cultural view of the disabled......

Does every crime committed in the United States highlight America's view of whoever the victim is? So easy to leap to categorical generalizations when it happens in a culture distinct and distant from one's own.

Having disabled children in Japanese culture is considered shameful. The disabled often cannot work and as such are seen as a societal burden. If you cannot contribute in Japanese culture it is considered a dishonor, regardless of circumstance. .....

You are spewing generalizations and stereotypes from 30 year old dramas and comic books.

Do they abort downs babies, before and after birth?

"We received responses from 69 of the 105 facilities (65.7%), and genetic testing was performed at 26 of these facilities. Nucleic acid sequential testing was performed on 45 disorders and 252 cases during a three‐year period. There were 67 cases of affected fetuses. Six cases continued pregnancy and were treated. The comment survey highlighted difficulties in locating a laboratory to assess prenatal samples, as well as inadequate counseling and preparation for genetic disorders."

https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jog.12948

The statistics do not reveal the specifics of disorder. I would think that the Down's kids ended up OR chum.

That is not true.
Oh...it's incredibly true.....

No it's not. That's why this story is such a shocking national scandal.
Yet...it highlights common cultural opinions. They are not looked upon favorably. That is why many are sent away. Honestly, no troll, I lived in Japan (Okinawa & Tokyo) for just under 7 years and I recall seeing very few crippled or retarded children or adults. However, It's not like you go to Shinjuku and say; "You know what is missing here?...Retards, I never see any retards".
Meh...their business.

That is not true.

Yet...it highlights common cultural opinions. They are not looked upon favorably. That is why many are sent away. Honestly, no troll, I lived in Japan (Okinawa & Tokyo) for just under 7 years and I recall seeing very few crippled or retarded children or adults. However, It's not like you go to Shinjuku and say; "You know what is missing here?...Retards, I never see any retards".
Meh...their business.

Sounds like YOU are the one with the shitty attitude toward those with challenges, and it sounds like you didn't go near any of the many schools and residential treatment centers for the handicapped. A lot of people have shit attitudes like yours in every country.

That is not true.

Meh...their business.

Sounds like YOU are the one with the shitty attitude toward those with challenges, and it sounds like you didn't go near any of the many schools and residential treatment centers for the handicapped. A lot of people have shit attitudes like yours in every country.
I have a shitty attitude? It wasn't my country. I am just telling you what I saw during my time in Japan. I personally think the Japanese are a wonderful people. They just don't like imperfection. They feel it reflects upon them as a people. Viewed from a certain angle it is a highly admirable trait. Additionally it makes perfect sense as the Japanese strive at every task to perform it as perfectly as possible.

..... I am just telling you what I saw during my time in Japan.......

On a military base, right?
I was military but I wasn't locked to the military base. I rented places off base (Okinawa and Tokyo), dated Japanese girls, interacted with the population, had non-military friends, if that matters much. I lived in Japan. As I stated, I was there for almost 7 years.
How do you think I am familiar with this phenomenon? I knew a Japanese girl who had a 'special' brother who was sent to live in a home. She didn't like to talk about it because it wasn't something that people talk about openly. If this doesn't fit your paradigm then I am sorry, but this is a thing.

Forum List

Back