Zone1 It's virtually impossible for Protestants to understand Catholicism

The RCC is the one church with direct lineage back to Jesus Christ himself, through the popes. It's also the one whose teachings make the most sense. The rules are tough, but tough is the way to go.
I believe Catholics who have faith in Christ will end up in heaven as well as Protestants. But where in the Bible does it say to elevate the Virgin Mary to an almost God status or to pray to the Saints.

It seems to me that the Catholic faith has added much to the requirements to get into heaven and even added an intermediate step (Purgatory) to pass through. Plus,I really do not understand why the final rites are so important.

What is Purgatory?​

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a “purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven,” which is experienced by those “who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified” (CCC 1030). It notes that “this final purification of the elect . . . is entirely different from the punishment of the damned” (CCC 1031).

The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27) and, while we may die with our mortal sins forgiven, there can still be many impurities in us, specifically venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already

Guide to Last Rites: Definition, What's Said & Popular Rites​

snip

What Happens If You Don’t Get Last Rites?

To die without last rites is the equivalent of dying without forgiveness. And, dying with the recitation of last rites is equivalent to dying a good death for Catholics. Last rites are the final sacrament that every believer desires when their time has come
[/i]

Now I am not trying to change what Catholics believe as if you like a more difficult religion to follow, that’s fine with me. My religion is less complicated but I will admit the possibility that I have been misled.

snip

Who will actually enter God’s kingdom? How can I guarantee that I’m going to heaven? The Bible makes a clear distinction between those who have eternal life and those who do not: “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life” (1 John 5:12). It all goes back to faith. Those who believe in Christ are made the children of God (John 1:12). Those who accept Jesus’ sacrifice as the payment for their sins and who believe in His resurrection are going to heaven. Those who reject Christ are not. “Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son” (John 3:18).

As awesome as heaven will be for those who accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, hell will be that much more awful for those who reject Him. One cannot read the Bible seriously without seeing it over and over again—the line is drawn. The Bible says there is one and only one way to heaven—Jesus Christ. Follow Jesus’ command: “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it” (Matthew 7:13–14). Faith in Jesus is the one means of going to heaven. Those who have faith are guaranteed to get there. Do you trust in Jesus?

Once again, I wish to point out that I believe good Catholics will go to heaven.

I believe Catholics who have faith in Christ will end up in heaven as well as Protestants. But where in the Bible does it say to elevate the Virgin Mary to an almost God status or to pray to the Saints.
Catholics have not elevated Mary beyond what the Bible notes. She was full of grace. She is the mother of Jesus. Jesus, having his kingdom, according to the Bible (Old Testament) makes his mother the queen of his kingdom.

Could it be that non-Catholic Christians found a place in the Bible that says to demote her?
It seems to me that the Catholic faith has added much to the requirements to get into heaven and even added an intermediate step (Purgatory) to pass through. Plus,I really do not understand why the final rites are so important.
Catholics practice the traditional Apostolic Christian faith. The Catholic faith teaches in the Catholic Catechism that Non-Catholics, including atheists, are in the hand of a loving and merciful God. The Church does not know who--if anyone--is in hell. Catholics believe that the person chooses hell (otherwise known as separation from God). It's not a place God throws anyone. It is a choice.

So...no requirements added. We follow the Gospels and Apostolic teachings/traditions which Christ promised gains us entrance into his kingdom in this life that extends into eternity/our next life. We trust in God and the Holy Spirit to guide those who choose a different path.

Last Rites/The Sacrament of the Sick is the final preparation for our next journey. There was an Old Testament prophet who once lay down under a tree to go to sleep, hopefully forever, because he felt he had done all he could in this life and he had no food anyway. An angel appeared, gave him bread from heaven which carried him on the next part of his journey. Naturally, the Last Rites includes the Eucharist, bread from heaven which carries us on the next part of our journey. Catholics are a very Biblical people.

Catholics have not elevated Mary beyond what the Bible notes. She was full of grace. She is the mother of Jesus. Jesus, having his kingdom, according to the Bible (Old Testament) makes his mother the queen of his kingdom.

Could it be that non-Catholic Christians found a place in the Bible that says to demote her?

Catholics practice the traditional Apostolic Christian faith. The Catholic faith teaches in the Catholic Catechism that Non-Catholics, including atheists, are in the hand of a loving and merciful God. The Church does not know who--if anyone--is in hell. Catholics believe that the person chooses hell (otherwise known as separation from God). It's not a place God throws anyone. It is a choice.

So...no requirements added. We follow the Gospels and Apostolic teachings/traditions which Christ promised gains us entrance into his kingdom in this life that extends into eternity/our next life. We trust in God and the Holy Spirit to guide those who choose a different path.

Last Rites/The Sacrament of the Sick is the final preparation for our next journey. There was an Old Testament prophet who once lay down under a tree to go to sleep, hopefully forever, because he felt he had done all he could in this life and he had no food anyway. An angel appeared, gave him bread from heaven which carried him on the next part of his journey. Naturally, the Last Rites includes the Eucharist, bread from heaven which carries us on the next part of our journey. Catholics are a very Biblical people.
Thanks for the informative reply.

I have known a number of Catholics during my life and I believe a good number were excellent Christians and will be welcomed into Heaven.

If you ask 5 different Catholics to explain Catholocism, you will probably get 5 different expanations. It is the same for every Christian denomination. I feel that our focus should be on God, not the denomination that is the path to God.
I feel no denomination can say all of our adherents are the best Christians.
well, at least u are more open minded than a lot of posters here re catholicism

so there's that

Go back and find the link that I sent you when you started this thread---read it this time.
It's just another lie against the True Church

It's something like what liberals always do: accuse others of what they are doing

The protestants removed 7 books from the Bible

Luther w anted to remove 4 from the New T but colleagues stopped him

It's not impossible for protestants to understand Catholicism at all.

However, I agree w/you on one point OP, most Protestants don't even know what the word means.

But there's a remnant that do.
maybe you could show me one

It's just another lie against the True Church

It's something like what liberals always do: accuse others of what they are doing

The protestants removed 7 books from the Bible

Luther w anted to remove 4 from the New T but colleagues stopped him
No doubt the protestants have done their share of garbage to promote their politics through religion as well. I'm not arguing that point. All organized religions do it. The CC has just been more brutal with forcing it on people.

What is Purgatory?​

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a “purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven,” which is experienced by those “who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified” (CCC 1030). It notes that “this final purification of the elect . . . is entirely different from the punishment of the damned” (CCC 1031).

The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27) and, while we may die with our mortal sins forgiven, there can still be many impurities in us, specifically venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already

Guide to Last Rites: Definition, What's Said & Popular Rites​

snip

What Happens If You Don’t Get Last Rites?

To die without last rites is the equivalent of dying without forgiveness. And, dying with the recitation of last rites is equivalent to dying a good death for Catholics. Last rites are the final sacrament that every believer desires when their time has come
[/i]

Now I am not trying to change what Catholics believe as if you like a more difficult religion to follow, that’s fine with me. My religion is less complicated but I will admit the possibility that I have been misled.

snip

Who will actually enter God’s kingdom? How can I guarantee that I’m going to heaven? The Bible makes a clear distinction between those who have eternal life and those who do not: “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life” (1 John 5:12). It all goes back to faith. Those who believe in Christ are made the children of God (John 1:12). Those who accept Jesus’ sacrifice as the payment for their sins and who believe in His resurrection are going to heaven. Those who reject Christ are not. “Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son” (John 3:18).

As awesome as heaven will be for those who accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, hell will be that much more awful for those who reject Him. One cannot read the Bible seriously without seeing it over and over again—the line is drawn. The Bible says there is one and only one way to heaven—Jesus Christ. Follow Jesus’ command: “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it” (Matthew 7:13–14). Faith in Jesus is the one means of going to heaven. Those who have faith are guaranteed to get there. Do you trust in Jesus?

Once again, I wish to point out that I believe good Catholics will go to heaven.
Luke 1:48, "...for behold, henceforth all generations 'shall' call me Blessed." We are commanded to honor Mary. That's where it comes from. In no way is Mary elevated to the level of God.

Purgatory is 100% biblical, as well as making perfect sense. Only the perfect get into Heaven, and purgatory is how men are made perfect for Heaven. "Every last penny shall be paid.."

I was taught there would be some protestants in Heaven. It's just easier if you're a Catholic, because you have a lot more tools to help you focus on the prize.

i would never try to convert anybody
That is against Christ who told us to tell the gospel to ALL

and that all who believe will be saved,
all who do not are condemned

Jesus also said that if you deny Him before men, He will deny you b4 the Father

It seems to me that the Catholic faith has added much to the requirements to get into heaven a
The Catholic Church came before --WAY before--Protestant "churches" came into existence.

There is only ONE CHurch and if it teaches something, officially, one must believe that. It is not Catholics who have added anything,. It is anti-Catholics who have both added and subtracted to & from the True Deposit of Faith.

It just stands to reason that the Church thatgoes back the furthest is the True Church. All who came after are man-made and to the extent they disagree with the Original...

No doubt the protestants have done their share of garbage to promote their politics through religion as well. I'm not arguing that point. All organized religions do it. The CC has just been more brutal with forcing it on people.
that's the lie you believe.

I myself have studied history, so no one can tell a whopper to yours truly

At least those parts of the gospel that fit their political agenda. Remove those books that don't.
protestants, NOT Catholics, removed books, starting with Luther. He removed 7 books from the OT and wanted to remove 4 from the New. Only his colleagues stopped him. James, for example, did not fit with his chosen narrative so he said (verbatim) "Into the stove with Jimmy"

protestants, NOT Catholics, removed books, starting with Luther. He removed 7 books from the OT and wanted to remove 4 from the New. Only his colleagues stopped him. James, for example, did not fit with his chosen narrative so he said (verbatim) "Into the stove with Jimmy"
What part of the bible directed the CC to hold the inquisition. Peace bro OR I'll torture and kill you.

Luke 1:48, "...for behold, henceforth all generations 'shall' call me Blessed." We are commanded to honor Mary. That's where it comes from. In no way is Mary elevated to the level of God.

Purgatory is 100% biblical, as well as making perfect sense. Only the perfect get into Heaven, and purgatory is how men are made perfect for Heaven. "Every last penny shall be paid.."

I was taught there would be some protestants in Heaven. It's just easier if you're a Catholic, because you have a lot more tools to help you focus on the prize.
plus more people are presumably praying for you, as they know about where you may be (most Christians on their way to Heaven are in Purgatory 40 years, I've heard)

long time!

You want to make your version of Christianity more difficult and while I have no problem with that, I like the uncomplicated version. I am a kind of “keep it simple, stupid” person. (Note that I have no desire to convince you to change your dedication to Catholicism. In fact I have some admiration for your commitment and dedication to your faith.)

Half a century ago the Catholic Church advocated meatless Fridays. I thought all that changed but the article below says I am wrong. Where in the Bible does it say to avoid eating meat on Fridays? Now I admit it might be a good idea for health reasons but I don’t feel it is a sin.

If it is I guess I am in deep trouble as no one is going to say last rites over my body.

snip

Why Are The Last Rites Important?​

It is due to God’s will that we are born, and we die. The Last Rite can be used to help provide Catholics with the spiritual strength needed for both physical and spiritual recovery, at times when we may be at the brink of death.

When a faithful Catholic faces imminent risk of dying or is on the verge of death, the Last Rites can be administered to offer them a final chance to be absolved of their sins in preparation for entering heaven, to denounce their sinful ways, and face their individual judgment to avoid hell.

Forum List

Back