It’s Time to Unplug the Hype Over Electric Vehicles

That would be amazing..

Of course that would be Tesla the inventor not Tesla the auto maker

Correct. If that theory of his can be realized, EV's will rule the day. Everyone will want one, and no government mandates would be necessary.

Because we value efficiency. Formula 1 races 180 miles or so on a full tank of gas. No refill.

Formula E races 55 miles and has to have TWO cars to do even that.

Not truly relevant to Real Life, because the normal, street-legal versions of both electric and ICE vehicles do better than that, but it rather jumps out at me just how debilitating the range that this suggests for the Formula-E vehicle would be in Real Life.

Two vehicles to cover 55 miles, because one won't go that far? I'm assuming, then, that each vehicle is engineered to go slightly more than half that, so as not to have its performance burdened by carrying heavier batteries than it needs to go its share of the distance. So, about 27.5 miles. Let's call it thirty.

Several of my projects have been more than 55 miles from home. One of those vehicles conveniently left where the first would run out on my way to such a project, would still not get me there.

My last project was unusually convenient in that it was only slightly more than twenty miles away. So one of those Formula-E cars would probably get me there, but not be able to get me home again.

The Formula-1 car, with a range of 180 miles, would have been able to get me all the way to and from any project that I have so far worked, as long as I went straight to work, and came straight home, with no significant side trips.

Hybrid technology OTOH is currently the way to go.

I agree that hybrid technology is the most efficient use of energy for transportation. But it is still hobbled by issues related to the batteries. Capacity of the batteries is not nearly so much an issue with hybrids, as it is with pure electric cars but the batteries are still very expensive, of limited useable life, and the environmental impact of manufacturing and disposing of them still more than outweighs any benefit from reduced use of fossil fuels.

And it seems that in real life, hybrid technology fails to achieve anywhere near the increase in efficiency that it seems that it should.

Yeah, it is. Until a Tesla inspired broadcast energy system is developed battery powered EV's are a net loss.
Of course that would be Tesla the inventor not Tesla the auto maker
Correct. If that theory of his can be realized, EV's will rule the day. Everyone will want one, and no government mandates would be necessary.

[A note on nomenclature: In most of the places where I started to use the word “energy”, the correct term is “power”. Energy refers to a total amount of ability to do work; power refers to the rat at which this energy is generated transmitted, or used. The amount of gasoline in your fuel tank is energy; the rate at which you burn it over a given amount of time is power.]

It seems highly improbable to me.

I just don't see how the necessary amounts of power can be transmitted wirelessly in a safe manner.

I know that Tesla imagined free unlimited, energy, being made wirelessly available to all, but I think that's more a delusional pipe dream than anything that can ever be reality.

Aside from the ability to transmit large amounts of power as he imagined (and in his time, he was surely thinking of much smaller amounts of power than would be needed in modern applications), is the cost to produce energy. I do not know where Tesla thought all that energy was going to come from, that he wanted to just give away, but the hard reality is that there is a substantial cost involved in acquiring energy, and that cost has to be recovered one way or another.

Not truly relevant to Real Life, because the normal, street-legal versions of both electric and ICE vehicles do better than that, but it rather jumps out at me just how debilitating the range that this suggests for the Formula-E vehicle would be in Real Life.

Two vehicles to cover 55 miles, because one won't go that far? I'm assuming, then, that each vehicle is engineered to go slightly more than half that, so as not to have its performance burdened by carrying heavier batteries than it needs to go its share of the distance. So, about 27.5 miles. Let's call it thirty.

Several of my projects have been more than 55 miles from home. One of those vehicles conveniently left where the first would run out on my way to such a project, would still not get me there.

My last project was unusually convenient in that it was only slightly more than twenty miles away. So one of those Formula-E cars would probably get me there, but not be able to get me home again.

The Formula-1 car, with a range of 180 miles, would have been able to get me all the way to and from any project that I have so far worked, as long as I went straight to work, and came straight home, with no significant side trips.
Most EV's today have a range of over 200 miles, some over 400 miles. I know of know one that drives a formula 1 to work. Seems a bit deficient on some required items, like headlights.

It won't be electric cars that kills internal combustion engines in our lifetime. Let me know when the first country goes all electric cars. It won't be this one this one. I can tell you that. It won't even attain any kind of parity until it gets the kinks out and reaches parity on being cost effective in the long term. There may very well come a time, when petroleum starts to run out and is used more for generating power, flying planes and powering military vehicles, but not in my lifetime and probably not yours.
Stats for the month:

• BEVs: 13,803 (up 0.6%, at 67.1% market share) + 828 "used" + 377 new vans
  • PHEVs: 4,706 (up 12.3%, at 22.9% market share)
  • Total: 18,509 (up 3.3%, at 90.0% market share)

New passenger plug-in car registrations in Norway – December 2021​

external_image

In 2021, almost 152,000 new passenger plug-ins were registered, which is over 86% of the total market. The remaining part is shared by conventional and hybrid models.

Don't know who that is, and don't give a shit about who that is. Maybe one of the brilliant assholes on Wall Street that have lost many billions shorting Tesla?
You should know who he is. He could help you out of your ignorance.

Somebody may invent batteries than can efficiently store up electricity and use in vehicles one of these days but it is not this L-I technology. Lithium Ion is terrible inefficient technology that is an ecological nightmare to produce and dispose of. Not to mention that Lithium is significantly more scarce than fossil fuels and Biden's Chinese buddies directly or indirectly controls most of the world's supply.

If we take all the energy that is being dispersed at fossil fuel stations and transfer that our electrical grid now it would be disaster. We can hardly keep up with existing load no less the addition of charging hundreds of millions of vehicles each day.

Of course these stupid uneducated naive idiot Moon Bats have this fantasy that all electricity can be produced by solar and wind and they can sit around smoking pot all day long and not worry about where electricity comes from.

Somebody may invent batteries than can efficiently store up electricity and use in vehicles one of these days but it is not this L-I technology. Lithium Ion is terrible inefficient technology that is an ecological nightmare to produce and dispose of. Not to mention that Lithium is significantly more scarce than fossil fuels and Biden's Chinese buddies directly or indirectly controls most of the world's supply.

If we take all the energy that is being dispersed at fossil fuel stations and transfer that our electrical grid now it would be disaster. We can hardly keep up with existing load no less the addition of charging hundreds of millions of vehicles each day.

Of course these stupid uneducated naive idiot Moon Bats have this fantasy that all electricity can be produced by solar and wind and they can sit around smoking pot all day long and not worry about where electricity comes from.
Imagine you’re caught in an approaching hurricane. The power is out and your EV needs a charge. Oh well…kiss your ass goodbye.

Imagine you’re caught in an approaching hurricane. The power is out and your EV needs a charge. Oh well…kiss your ass goodbye.

Since they don't have much range and it takes a long time to recharge imagine having to evacuate Miami, Houston or New Orleans before an approaching hurricane. Talk about a disaster.

Stats for the month:

• BEVs: 13,803 (up 0.6%, at 67.1% market share) + 828 "used" + 377 new vans
  • PHEVs: 4,706 (up 12.3%, at 22.9% market share)
  • Total: 18,509 (up 3.3%, at 90.0% market share)

New passenger plug-in car registrations in Norway – December 2021​

external_image

In 2021, almost 152,000 new passenger plug-ins were registered, which is over 86% of the total market. The remaining part is shared by conventional and hybrid models.

That is pretty impressive. I still think I'll pass for a while. I have to buy a pickup this spring suitable for off-road, as my Jeep in too limiting in cargo transportability. Electric will not be in consideration, as I am not planning a move to Norway any time soon.

Forum List

Back