Jun 9, 2016
California
From the Preface of Tibi's book:

The religious faith of Islam is not an obstacle to peace or a
threat to the non-Muslim other. Islamism, on the other hand, creates deep
civilizational rifts between Muslims and non-Muslims. It not only labels
“Jews and crusaders” as the enemy but also targets other non-Muslims:
Hindus in Kashmir and Malaysia, Buddhists and Confucians in China and
Southeast Asia, people of African animist religions in Sudan. Islamism classifies
all non-Muslim people as kuffar— infidels—and thus “enemies of Islam.”

Islam is the "unattainable ideal"...

Islamism is the means and result in practice.

Greece annually translates five times more books from English than the entire Arab world, and currently, 65 million Arab adults are illiterate.

From the Foreword by Roger Scruton:

Reilly’s brilliant account of the long-term effect of the “closing of the
Muslim mind” makes sobering reading. Muslim societies, as he shows,
have rarely adapted to the forms of modern politics, to the outlook of
modern science, or to the demands of global migration. If Reilly is right—
as he surely is—then the resentment that animates the Islamist terrorist is to
be blamed not on our success, but rather on Muslim failure. This failure is
not the inevitable result of Islam; rather, it is the effect of an act of cultural
and intellectual suicide, which occurred eight centuries ago.

Islam has always been a political doctrine.

It was simply re-invigorated as such by Sayed Qutb and others around a hundred years ago.

Tibi continues in his Preface to Islamism and Islam:

Diversity is a most precious good. Can the Islamist mindset be admitted in the name of diversity? Can we trust Islamists who forgo violence to participate in good faith within a pluralistic, democratic system? I believe we cannot.
The second message of this book is that Islamism is a totalitarian ideology in Hannah Arendt’s understanding of this term. Its totalitarian outlook is deeply linked to its antisemitism. Antisemitism is, as Arendt notes on the first page of her famous book The Origins of Totalitarianism, “not merely the hatred of Jews” but a genocidal ideology. This distinction, too, is important: it is the difference between wishing to relegate Jews to a despised place in society and denying the Jewish people the right to exist.

Why was there a Closing of the Muslim Mind?

"Islam's Intellectual Suicide—and the Threat to Us All
People are shocked and frightened by the behavior coming out the Islamic world—not only because it is violent, but also because it is seemingly inexplicable. While there are many answers to the question of “what went wrong” in the Muslim world, no one has decisively answered why it went wrong. Until now.

In this eye-opening new book, foreign policy expert Robert R. Reilly uncovers the root of our contemporary crisis: a pivotal struggle waged within the Muslim world nearly a millennium ago. In a heated battle over the role of reason, the side of irrationality won. The deformed theology that resulted, Reilly reveals, produced the spiritual pathology of Islamism, and a deeply dysfunctional culture."

In the religion of Islam, there is nothing called "Islamism". It's a term formed by western orientalists to serve their agenda. The term "Islamism" likely emerged in the late 19th and early 20th centuries as a response to Western colonialism. The influx of Western ideas and values with western armies challenged traditional Islamic societies, prompting some Muslims to seek an alternative vision based on their faith.

Dr Bassam Tibi's Islamism and Islam is splendid and a must read for those seeking understanding:

"Islamists speak of a united umma but in reality dig deep trenches and arouse strong and dangerous passions. Living in Germany and having survived attempts on my life by jihadists (as well as by neo-Nazis), I know these passions from up close. Yet as a devout Muslim, raised in Damascus as the son of an ashraf family (Muslim nobility), I declare myself immune to the charge of Islamophobia. Hating Islam would require me to renounce myself, my family, my faith, and my heritage. I write not to denigrate these things but in part to defend them.
I write also as a political scientist who has devoted his career to the study of Islam."

This brave group of apostates supports WikiIslam and reformation of Islam:

https://exmuslims.org

Study their Apostate report.

The Ottomans brought in many innovations...and in some cases things that were tribal tradition also found their way in to Islam. Reform is about getting back to basics and simplifying the faith.

Christianity has a share of ignorance too.

Forum List

Back