Is Zero a Positive Number?

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I'm interested in what others think about this.

I was taking a practice exam which outlined a requirement that the value contained in one of the fields in a database table being created could only be "positive". They offered as a solution a check constraint on the field of X >= 0 and wanted me to indicate whether their solution would ensure only positive values would be accepted.

I answered "No" that their solution did not comply with the requirement and my answer was marked as incorrect. To me, it's a no brainer because it should simply be x > 0 however apparently in some cases zero is considered a positive number.

I was just wondering what the average person thinks and why.

TIA...

I was taking a practice exam which outlined a requirement that the value contained in one of the fields in a database table being created could only be "positive". They offered as a solution a check constraint on the field of X >= 0 and wanted me to indicate whether their solution would ensure only positive values would be accepted.

I answered "No" that their solution did not comply with the requirement and my answer was marked as incorrect. To me, it's a no brainer because it should simply be x > 0 however apparently in some cases zero is considered a positive number.

TIA...
A former calculus instructor explained it this way to me: Negative numbers are numbers that are smaller than zero, and positive numbers are numbers that are larger than zero. Zero is neither positive nor negative.

I also forgot to add that most certified mathematics professors would teach that even though zero is neither positive or negative as a standalone number, as a "placeholder", it can change the value of OTHER numbers.

TIA...
I agree that you were correct with your answer for the online practice exam.

TIA...
Zero is not positive or negative. It is zero. The exam you took was wrong

TIA...

Since zero (0) is a both a real number, a whole number, an even number, an integer so also a rational number, it does not intrinsically carry a sign of its own (the null integer), but as it is also the BEGINNING of the whole number line, it is often also thought of as implying a positive value. So technically, while it satisfies the condition of a positive whole number, the question is not specific enough or give enough information to say so. All we can say for sure is that zero is never negative.

So I consider it a bullshit question that you were given a wrong on a technicality and I would argue that.

TIA...

Since zero (0) is a both a real number, a whole number, an even number, an integer so also a rational number, it does not intrinsically carry a sign of its own (the null integer), but as it is also the BEGINNING of the whole number line, it is often also thought of as implying a positive value. So technically, while it satisfies the condition of a positive whole number, the question is not specific enough or give enough information to say so. All we can say for sure is that zero is never negative.

So I consider it a bullshit question that you were given a wrong on a technicality and I would argue that.
Personally, I think the whole point of asking that question on the exam is to foster an argument, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun.

TIA...

Personally, I think the whole point of asking that question on the exam is to foster an argument, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun.

I agree, and as such, the answer to every argument is an OPINION. So there should not be any wrong answer, if fact, the best answer to the question IMO is to ask another question: "It DEPENDS."

If this then THAT.

This is what it was for:
MCSE: Data Management and Analytics - Learn | Microsoft Docs

When I'm the student I proceed under the premise that my instructors know better than I do even though I know that they are not infallible, however I was pretty sure that zero is not a positive number and wanted to see if that is what most other people think as well.

By the way, I was using training materials so I didn't have an instructor I could bring this up to. I guess I could write the manufacturer of the software and let them know that there is an error in the training materials but this all goes away after today so the point is probably now moot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back