Debate Now Is Trump really comparable to Hitler?

In my opinion Donald Trump is not comparable to Adolf Hitler at all.
As far as I know Adolf Hitler did freeze the Weimar Constitution, which was an illegal act, he was the chief of party that was ultra-nationalist and had racial suprematism as basic principle.
President Trump didn't do anything like that :)
I've read on the web that during the campaing he used some Mussolini quotes but that's another matter ;)

Fortunately for us - our President can't do that to the constitution. His powers are balanced by the other branches and it's incredibly hard to change the constitution. I can see Trump as being more like a Mussolini then a Hitler...

I find most comparisons of modern day political figures to Hitler to be loathsome. Hitler was a unique evil, who arose under a unique set of circumstances in a way that I hope will never be repeated.

My fear is ... however, that it could be. We're hearing the same rhetoric, the same scapegoating (just different groups), the rise of rightwing populism across the world and with it a concurrent rise in anti-immigrant sentiment and ethnic nationalism. Do I think that could lead to the organized cold blooded genocide of groups such as Hitler's Germany engineered? I don't think so. Do I think it could lead to discrimmination, violence towards, and the stripping of rights from innocent people or at least a willingness to look away? Yes, I fear it could.

Trump is the quintessential populist. He has that in common with Hitler. Trump is adept at managing the emotions of his followers. He characterizes the world in black and white - in an us vs them framework - with "them" being outsiders. He promises safety, prosperity, and a return to a non-existent "golden age" through him and only through him. He inspires a blind allegience that is willing to overlook flaws, lies, and gross inconsistencies. He has an immense but fragile ego that can't tolerate embarressment or contradiction, and is easily played. His personality and behavior share some of the same characteristics as Hitler's. As many populist/nationalistic leaders.

But that doesn't make him Hitler. His policies and governance remain to be seen - he is so contradictory and lies so often, it's impossible to predict. I've not seen sustained hatred towards any particular group. I don't see anything approaching Hitler, nor do I see it in our society. Unlike 1930's Germany, our economy is going great, our unemployment low. Populists usually seek scapegoats but they seldom become mass murderers. Hitler, like Stalin, and a handful of others are rare. Comparing Trump to them is a huge insult to the many who suffered under their regimes.

Great post. I concur with most of what you posited. But you left me hanging with that second paragraph where you seemed to agree that the present populist fad has ominous historical implications.. Yet, you don't think it could lead to something similar to the Holocaust. But the Holocaust was preceded by the similar events you think COULD happen.

For a moment, I'd like to place Hitler's soul in Trumps body (2017) and place Trump's soul in Hitler's body (1936). Would the outcomes be the same. Would history be changed? Somehow , in this scenario, they both retain all their respective child hood experiences and the same social conditioning.

Somehow, given that both would sensitive to the bloodlust and ager of their populist constituents, I can only conclude the worst!

We are a different world, now, then we were in the 30's. And we have the lesson of the Holocaust to learn from. What I hope is we don't forget it - in it's larger implications (ie...anyone could be scapegoated). It's far more difficult to keep secrets - to keep the world from knowing when something horrible is going on. Although...I suppose there is a caveat. With the advent of "fake news" and "alternative facts"....maybe it can be more difficult to spread truth.

As long as we have free speech and a free media we can combat things in a way that society in the 1930's cant.

I don't see Trump as being like Hitler. What I do see though...is the possibility of an isolationist response to an atrocity in another part of the world. He wouldn't be like Hitler in killing the targeted group, but he would close our doors to those fleeing if they were the wrong group. In otherwords...he would be us...in the 1930's, turning away the St. Louis.
'The world is different now than in the 30s but the populist GERM that spawned Hitler has regenerated to spawn Trump! Trump has the advantage of biotechnology to do what Hitler did without firing a shot. Just think of the trillions in assets would gain through some surreptitious form of Hitler's Final Solution. If he is all the things you say he is, you can't ignore that possibility. Perhaps he didn't offer Been Carson the Surgeon General position for that reason.'The Surgeon General might be privy to biowarfare secrets that Trump would not want any person of color to know...including Carson...

Hate to break it to you, but there are, indeed, racists in the Trump-Believer cult.

Now this is violating the rules of the thread.

Do you think racism exists?

And so is this.

(Yes, racism exists, but it doesn't consist solely of angry conservative white male Trump voters)
It might be noteworthy to observe that Black slaves in America were never perceived as racists nor were the Jews of Nazi Germany. I have yet to see a case where racism originated within any other demographic than wherever German's had influence. A German developed the concept of race and , of course, he placed his own at the pinnacle of racial hierarchy.
Thus in all of mans preceding history, the word "race" was unknown and the concept meaningless. Europeans have embraced it and taken it with them every where they go.

Racism in one form or another existed anywhere human beings existed. Racism, in it's broader definition is nothing more than the defining of who is "us" and who is "not us" and therefore to be excluded. That's essentially what it boils down to. To make it easier to sell - you make them inferior, sub-human, barbarians, and you cease to see them as individuals. Then it gets easier to kill them. Racism/tribalism/nationalism/ethnocentrism/religion/ideology.....

I disagree. tribalism is the term I would use to define the us vs them competition for hunting grounds and other resources. Skin color/ phenotype was no bar to one man's humanity while uplifting that of another. The middle east seems to be the place where isolated groups of Homo Sapiens Sapiens merged during and after the last Ice Age to create cosmopolitan civilizations which were heavily influenced by the Blacks of KMT. Race was no factor there.

What I see as tribalism is allegence to a group, with other groups or tribes being the outsiders - so, it's just another version of the us vs. them game. Tribalism is what led to the genocide in Rwanda.

Racism is a form of "otherism" and I think most if not all human groups have it.

We don't really see racism through the same lens. That may be subjective on my part since I really don't believe in race as most people do. But the real question is: "how does Trump see race?" Do you think his view on the topic is the same as Hitlers would have been. I concede that David Duke has no Black associates or supporters that I know of; so, that makes him arguably more Hitlerian than Trump. But I am also aware that Trump is decidedly more subtle in his acrimony in regards to Blacks but more vociferous in regards to acrimony against Hispanics and Arab looking Muslims.. Reflecting upon his choice for AG, I am more prone to believe he doesn't sympathize wth those victimized by police brutality and oppression. Neither would Hitler!

Hate to break it to you, but there are, indeed, racists in the Trump-Believer cult.

Do you think racism exists?

And so is this.

(Yes, racism exists, but it doesn't consist solely of angry conservative white male Trump voters)
It might be noteworthy to observe that Black slaves in America were never perceived as racists nor were the Jews of Nazi Germany. I have yet to see a case where racism originated within any other demographic than wherever German's had influence. A German developed the concept of race and , of course, he placed his own at the pinnacle of racial hierarchy.
Thus in all of mans preceding history, the word "race" was unknown and the concept meaningless. Europeans have embraced it and taken it with them every where they go.

Racism in one form or another existed anywhere human beings existed. Racism, in it's broader definition is nothing more than the defining of who is "us" and who is "not us" and therefore to be excluded. That's essentially what it boils down to. To make it easier to sell - you make them inferior, sub-human, barbarians, and you cease to see them as individuals. Then it gets easier to kill them. Racism/tribalism/nationalism/ethnocentrism/religion/ideology.....

I disagree. tribalism is the term I would use to define the us vs them competition for hunting grounds and other resources. Skin color/ phenotype was no bar to one man's humanity while uplifting that of another. The middle east seems to be the place where isolated groups of Homo Sapiens Sapiens merged during and after the last Ice Age to create cosmopolitan civilizations which were heavily influenced by the Blacks of KMT. Race was no factor there.

What I see as tribalism is allegence to a group, with other groups or tribes being the outsiders - so, it's just another version of the us vs. them game. Tribalism is what led to the genocide in Rwanda.

Racism is a form of "otherism" and I think most if not all human groups have it.
Republicans are 90% white and Democrats everyone else. Democrats prove the races and the "tribes" can work together. And that's why Trump won't succeed as Hitler in this country. Even with Putin's considerable help. Trump supporters are not as in love with Putin as Trump is.

6 million were killed in Germany, 20 million in Russia. So who has less care about human life?

And so is this.

Republicans are 90% white and Democrats everyone else. Democrats prove the races and the "tribes" can work together. And that's why Trump won't succeed as Hitler in this country. Even with Putin's considerable help. Trump supporters are not as in love with Putin as Trump is.

This is where I think we need to think. This assumption that Democrats can "prove" races and tribes work together.

Democrats base their political messaging on defining groups seperately. Identity politics.

Now I despise the Republicans but I have to ask one question...they don't make their platform based on seperate racial or tribal groups. They assume an even playing field and assume that everyone who is a conservative will play regardless of identity politics. So...do the Democrats really have everyone working together or do the Republicans?

The Democrats can and should - they are the better party for it - but they haven't been.

Democrats prove the races and the "tribes" can work together.

What? Democrats can't even find it within themselves to work with Republicans, much less prove that "races and tribes" can work together. For example, this thread. You can't expect any Trump supporter to work with you when Trump himself is consistently being compared to Hitler, can you?

Last edited:

This is where I think we need to think. This assumption that Democrats can "prove" races and tribes work together.

Democrats base their political messaging on defining groups seperately. Identity politics.

Now I despise the Republicans but I have to ask one question...they don't make their platform based on seperate racial or tribal groups. They assume an even playing field and assume that everyone who is a conservative will play regardless of identity politics. So...do the Democrats really have everyone working together or do the Republicans?

The Democrats can and should - they are the better party for it - but they haven't been.

Best post of the thread. Most open minded thing I've seen a poster post a long, long time.

Last edited:

And so is this.

We don't really see racism through the same lens. That may be subjective on my part since I really don't believe in race as most people do. But the real question is: "how does Trump see race?" Do you think his view on the topic is the same as Hitlers would have been. I concede that David Duke has no Black associates or supporters that I know of; so, that makes him arguably more Hitlerian than Trump. But I am also aware that Trump is decidedly more subtle in his acrimony in regards to Blacks but more vociferous in regards to acrimony against Hispanics and Arab looking Muslims.. Reflecting upon his choice for AG, I am more prone to believe he doesn't sympathize wth those victimized by police brutality and oppression. Neither would Hitler!

At this point - I don't know how Trump views race. It's clear that his platform ATTRACTS racist groups, because it's anti-immigration, America-first, white-oriented ideology is shared by them. That doesn't mean Trump himself is racist. His unwillingness to distance himself from those groups until very late in the campaign is disturbing, but it could also mean he is willing to entertain any support that will help him win. I agree - he seems to have no sympathy with those victimized by police brutality, and his attitude right now is very one-sided. I have a feeling his Justice Department will seek to undermine police reform.

At this point - I don't know how Trump views race. It's clear that his platform ATTRACTS racist groups, because it's anti-immigration, America-first, white-oriented ideology is shared by them. That doesn't mean Trump himself is racist. His unwillingness to distance himself from those groups until very late in the campaign is disturbing, but it could also mean he is willing to entertain any support that will help him win. I agree - he seems to have no sympathy with those victimized by police brutality, and his attitude right now is very one-sided. I have a feeling his Justice Department will seek to undermine police reform.

You don't know how Trump views race???? I am somewhat surprised by that since two well known examples of Trump's overt racism are well known. You've heard about the housing discrimination lawsuit launched against him haven't you? He settled out of court.

Did you miss the news about his personal involvement in calling for the death penalty for 5 innocent Black lads who were charged the brutal rape of a White woman and later were exonerated by DNA evidence decades later? Some might rationalize that there was no proven element of racism there on Trump's part, even knowing he took full page ads out in several newspapers to vent his feelings on that particular case. White men in the same city had committed similar or even more heinous crimes during Trump's tenure there but he never reacted publicly or aggressively to those crimes. Pondering those facts as objectively as I can, the most viable conclusion is that Trump has racist tendencies.

What I want from you is to prove to me any concrete similarities between Trump and Hitler. I can scarcely believe this man would be anything close to Hitler, who murdered 6 million people.

So, as the question in the title asks, is Trump comparable to Hitler?

Rules:

1) No referring to Trump as anything except by his given name, which can be President Donald Trump, Trump, Donald Trump, Donald John Trump, Donald J. Trump, DJT, DT or Donald.
2) No insults.
3) All comparisons must be backed up with real, verifiable historic evidence in comparison with current policy actions or behavior being undertaken by the current administration.

The comparisons stop at they were both bipeds. In no way are the men the same.

is Trump comparable to Hitler?

Hitler exhibited each of the following behaviors/traits. Trump has thus far exhibited quite a lot of them.
  1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
  2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
  3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
  4. Supremacy of the Military
  5. Rampant Sexism
  6. Controlled Mass Media
  7. Obsession with National Security
  8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
  9. Corporate Power is Protected
  10. Labor Power is Suppressed
  11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
  12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
  13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
  14. Fraudulent Elections
Are the two comparable? Absolutely. They strike me as more similar than dissimilar.

What I want from you is to prove to me any concrete similarities between Trump and Hitler. I can scarcely believe this man would be anything close to Hitler, who murdered 6 million people.

Rules:

1) No referring to Trump as anything except by his given name, which can be President Donald Trump, Trump, Donald Trump, Donald John Trump, Donald J. Trump, DJT, DT or Donald.
2) No insults.
3) All comparisons must be backed up with real, verifiable historic evidence in comparison with current policy actions or behavior being undertaken by the current administration.
No, none on the scene is like hitler, but he does show right wing authoritarian tendencies

It's kind of shitty to say well he hasn't 6 million jews yet so hes not hitler. Most people are aware that Trump has not killed 6 million jews. Do you think hitler became a leader after killing 6 million jews? What if he only kills 5 million jews? what about 6 million mexicans? can we compare him to hitler then? Trump is a crypto-fascist, not a conservative he says so himself.

Here is a list of the 14 traits of fascism Trump pretty much checks every box

The 14 Characteristics of Fascism, by Lawrence Britt, Spring 2003
liberals will never forgive trump for being pro usa....in their minds that is the worse crime ever and anti communist

Hitler exhibited each of the following behaviors/traits. Trump has thus far exhibited quite a lot of them.
  1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
  2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
  3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
  4. Supremacy of the Military
  5. Rampant Sexism
  6. Controlled Mass Media
  7. Obsession with National Security
  8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
  9. Corporate Power is Protected
  10. Labor Power is Suppressed
  11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
  12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
  13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
  14. Fraudulent Elections
Are the two comparable? Absolutely. They strike me as more similar than dissimilar.
Biden shakes hands with the invisible man and claims catwoman is his pet

Rules:

2) No insults.
TDS thread.

Rules:

2) No insults.
Is Obama or Biden comparible to Hitler?

It's a dumb question. The question is meant to attack the victim by the mere question.

It's kind of shitty to say well he hasn't 6 million jews yet so hes not hitler. Most people are aware that Trump has not killed 6 million jews. Do you think hitler became a leader after killing 6 million jews? What if he only kills 5 million jews? what about 6 million mexicans? can we compare him to hitler then? Trump is a crypto-fascist, not a conservative he says so himself.

Here is a list of the 14 traits of fascism Trump pretty much checks every box

The 14 Characteristics of Fascism, by Lawrence Britt, Spring 2003
And he's got all of those cult followers of his fooled into believing otherwise.

Forum List

Back