Is this genre too liberal?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
You know what genre I miss? The space opera genre. It seems to be dead on TV. Is this genre too liberal and too nerdy? Will watching one make people wish humanity was united and exploring the stars instead of killing each other?

-808f13b0-4975-4ee7-b292-78163f456aeb.jpeg

Firefly.jpg

Battlestar-galactica-w.jpg

Mass-Effect.jpg

Star_Wars_The_Clone_Wars.png

American television could use an epic space battle or two!

I've watched every single one of these except for Mass Effect. Babylon 5 is one of my all-time favorite television shows. I am not sure if the genre is dead or too liberal I just don't think studios are willing to take the risk.

Can't help you there. You know those movies where the giant asteroid is going to destroy the planet, I always root for the asteroid.

Or this. See ya, humanity.
images

You know what genre I miss? The space opera genre. It seems to be dead on TV. Is this genre too liberal and too nerdy? Will watching one make people wish humanity was united and exploring the stars instead of killing each other?

-808f13b0-4975-4ee7-b292-78163f456aeb.jpeg

Firefly.jpg

Battlestar-galactica-w.jpg

Mass-Effect.jpg

Star_Wars_The_Clone_Wars.png

American television could use an epic space battle or two!

What was additionally interesting about Firefly was not only the likeable characters and content of substance,
but the fan base rallied to work with the producers to make a movie and keep the series alive.

This opens the door to the idea of democratizing and owning interests in production projects,
why not?

Why not encourage writers, performers, and producers to organize resources to launch and
manage their own projects they believe in as good entertainment and also educational
to teach people the enterprise of media and production.

A very "conservative" idea -- don't you think? To own and make decisions, to control and represent the project yourself? To learn to use capital and free market and not rely on corporate controlled media to dictate decisions or directions for you?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: mdk
I don't see humanity uniting in science fiction as a liberal idea. I see it as a likely progression of human history. During WW2 countries united to fight what they saw as a common threat. Out of the ashes the UN was formed. One day (possibly centuries from now) we may find a global threat worth uniting the world over. It may be something similar to the UN on a much grander scale, but still comparable in many ways. It will be part of our basic instinct to continue our species, despite political differences.

As far as the genre dying, I think science fiction has always had it's ups and downs in Hollywood. We remember the greats, but for every Star Wars we get twenty movies that suck, and we forget about them. If anything I think interest in science fiction has grown since our recent technological advances. Who doesn't love watching the characters on Star Trek using the equivalent of a Kindle Fire, but we still don't have the hoverboard from Back to the Future?

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Guardians of the Galaxy is our generation's Star Wars.

GOTG is being promoted to youth in the form of comic books, children's books, and an animated series.
tumblr_nhbjvhA0u31s8lo2ro1_500.jpg

guardians.of_.the_.galaxy.cartoon.jpg

Hopefully this gets our next generation interested in space opera!

Or our next big hope is Disney developing a live action Star Wars TV show.

netflix-needs-a-live-action-star-wars-series-i-wish-this-would-happen.jpg

Forum List

Back