Is there room in your head for this?

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
How to prevent a toilet from overflowing.

Our apartment building "Move-In" notes, that are given to each new tenant, instructs them to consult me about how to prevent toilet overflows (which are distressing for landlords and tenants). I am rarely if ever asked to do this. However, recently a new tenant did ask me about this. I asked her if she knew how a toilet works. She replied that she didn't. She clearly had had bad experiences with toilets in the past thus her desire for the knowledge. Most tenants allow the toilet to overflow then call me to fix the problem. Preventing overflows is easy. Here's my tutorial.

First, observe how your toilet works. Remove the tank lid and flush the toilet a few times, observing how it flushes and then refills. Note that the flush water enters the toilet through a hole in the bottom of the tank that is covered by a stopper, called a "flapper". The flapper is designed to close when sufficient water is released into the toilet. However, you can manually close it by merely reaching in and pushing it closed. This will stop the water from entering the toilet bowl thus immediately stopping an overflow.

The other part that you need to observe is the "fill valve", which allows the tank to refill with water after the flush is complete. This valve opens and closes with the aid of a "float", located on a brass rod, or on a pedestal that it slides up and down on. The float opens and closes the fill valve. It too can be manually closed by lifting it upward. This will stop the tank from filling with water, although this is rarely needed to stop an overflow. Although rare, this valve can fail, resulting in the tank overflowing. This should be practiced as well. Now, on to an actual overflow event.

First rule of using a toilet: Always observe the flush when finished using the toilet, making sure it flushes properly. You'll know immediately if there is a problem as the water will rise in the bowl instead of swirling and emptying.

First rule of dealing with an imminent overflow: DON'T PANIC! Calmly close the toilet seat lid. Remove the tank lid and place it on the toilet seat (never place glass containers on top of the lid. The fewer such items the better). Reach in and close the flapper manually, as you have practiced. Allow that some water will overflow, but it will be minimal.

With this knowledge you will have a new confidence when using the toilet, and possible will prevent a nasty mess in the future. Teach this to your family and friends as well. God bless you and have a great day!

Last edited:
My old work probably could have put in a new sewer line for what it cost them to have the existing one unimpacted from a trillion flushed tampons. Man that thing just stopped working all at once and when it did, the poor rootorooter folks just about had a stroke on that clog.

Our apartment building "Move-In" notes, that are given to each new tenant, instructs them to consult me about how to prevent toilet overflows (which are distressing for landlords and tenants). I am rarely if ever asked to do this. However, recently a new tenant did ask me about this. I asked her if she knew how a toilet works. She replied that she didn't. She clearly had had bad experiences with toilets in the past thus her desire for the knowledge. Most tenants allow the toilet to overflow then call me to fix the problem. Preventing overflows is easy. Please learn how. It will save you and the landlord the task of cleaning up a messy overflow. Thanks.
Do you supply a good plunger in your lease?

Give free lessons on how to use it

Our apartment building "Move-In" notes, that are given to each new tenant, instructs them to consult me about how to prevent toilet overflows (which are distressing for landlords and tenants). I am rarely if ever asked to do this. However, recently a new tenant did ask me about this. I asked her if she knew how a toilet works. She replied that she didn't. She clearly had had bad experiences with toilets in the past thus her desire for the knowledge. Most tenants allow the toilet to overflow then call me to fix the problem. Preventing overflows is easy. Please learn how. It will save you and the landlord the task of cleaning up a messy overflow. Thanks.

How to prevent a toilet from overflowing:

1. If you're going to flush more than one kilo of drugs when the police are knocking, please throw it out the window instead.

2. Used prophylactics, sanitary napkins, paper towels, and used diapers will clog your toilet, as well as body parts and deceased pets like cat's dogs, etc.

3. Used motor oil is not good to flush. Please dispose of that in a responsible manner.

4. The toilet should not be used to launder clothes. The community laundry room is available for that.

:laughing0301:

The toilet in one of my guest rooms is evil. It'll clog if you blink at it wrong, even if it's just a few sheets of toilet paper.

It started doing this about two weeks ago. It's getting changed out tomorrow...

The toilet in one of my guest rooms is evil. It'll clog if you blink at it wrong, even if it's just a few sheets of toilet paper.

Trump was right about those stupid "water-saving" sinks and toilets. When I push the handle or turn the tap, I want to see a mini-Niagra Falls.

The border patrol has to hold toilet instruction classes for the migrants because they kept blocking up the toilets....
They come from places where flushing toilets do not exist....

Should I assume that this has always been the room you put your mother in law when she comes for a visit?

Last edited:
The border patrol has to hold toilet instruction classes for the migrants because they kept blocking up the toilets....

It was much worse than that for the US Immigration Service, when we got all those Afghan refugees. They're so used to wiping themselves with their shirts.

Trump was right about those stupid "water-saving" sinks and toilets. When I push the handle or turn the tap, I want to see a mini-Niagra Falls.
We have many water saver toilets. I encourage tenants to hold the flush handle down to allow all the water in the tank to help with the flush when they have a 'large load' to flush. One good thing is that such toilets rarely overflow unless flushed repeatedly when clogged. Another good thing is that the 'trap' or channel is smooth with no tight corners and is this easy to clear with rod or force plunger. I also encourage them to use a bucket to try and free the clog instead of continuing to flush the toilet (before they call me).

Another thing I do is to dissolve any built-up mineral deposits in the flushing rim, bowl, and trap using a strong hydrochloric acid-based bowl cleaner (Santeen is a good one). This has reduced overflows (that I'm aware of) to nearly zero. Pour a bucket of water into the toilet to siphon most of it away. Pour Santeen into the 'overflow' pipe a little at a time. The minerals will foam as they are dissolved. Add the cleaner and brush the bowl with a soft bowl brush (avoid the bristle brush that is wound on wire as it can leave scratches in the bowl) until all the minerals are gone. The toilet will then flush very efficiently.

Last edited:
How to prevent a toilet from overflowing:

1. If you're going to flush more than one kilo of drugs when the police are knocking, please throw it out the window instead.

2. Used prophylactics, sanitary napkins, paper towels, and used diapers will clog your toilet, as well as body parts and deceased pets like cat's dogs, etc.

3. Used motor oil is not good to flush. Please dispose of that in a responsible manner.

4. The toilet should not be used to launder clothes. The community laundry room is available for that.

:laughing0301:
I only flush shredded documents

Coming from an area where there are many many invaders, toilet instruction is not because they are blocking up the toilets. They stand on the toilet seat and squat over the opening often falling into the toilet and injuring themselves. Because they are used to inefficient plumbing, they throw used toilet paper on the floor.

Coming from an area where there are many many invaders, toilet instruction is not because they are blocking up the toilets. They stand on the toilet seat and squat over the opening often falling into the toilet and injuring themselves. Because they are used to inefficient plumbing, they throw used toilet paper on the floor.
Another reason to keep them out. :mad:

Forum List

Back