Is the constitution outdated?

How about the provision that says a President must be a natural born citizen? That does not seem applicable today. As in it was ignored in regards to obama
Are you a birther?

It seems that Barack Obama is not qualified to be president after all for the following reason:

'Barack Obama is not legally a U.S. natural-born citizen according to the law on the books at the time of his birth, which falls between “December 24, 1952 to November 13, 1986.” Presidential office requires a natural-born citizen if the child was not born to two U.S. citizen parents, which of course is what exempts John McCain though he was born in the Panama Canal. US Law very clearly stipulates: “If only one parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth, that parent must have resided in the United States for at least ten years, at least five of which had to be after the age of 16.” Barack Obama’s father was not a U.S. citizen and Obama’s mother was only 18 when Obama was born, which means though she had been a U.S. citizen for 10 years, (or citizen perhaps because of Hawaii being a territory) the mother fails the test for being so for at least 5 years **prior to** Barack Obama’s birth, but *after* age 16. It doesn’t matter *after* . In essence, she was not old enough to qualify her son for automatic U.S. citizenship. At most, there were only 2 years elapsed since his mother turned 16 at the time of Barack Obama’s birth when she was 18 in Hawaii. His mother would have needed to have been 16+5= 21 years old, at the time of Barack Obama’s birth for him to have been a natural-born citizen. As aforementioned, she was a young college student at the time and was not. Barack Obama was already 3 years old at that time his mother would have needed to have waited to have him as the only U.S. Citizen parent. Obama instead should have been naturalized, but even then, that would still disqualify him from holding the office.'

Thus the constitution was ignored, not enforced and thus once again demonstrates how irrelevant it can be in some cases.

a 'laughing @ you' emoji doesn't seem to do your post the CONsideration it deserves... so let me add this for a bit more emphasis:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: cnm
Is the constitution outdated?

No.

In fact, the Constitution can never be ‘outdated’ as it was the Framer’s intent that the Constitution would be of service to future generations of Americans.

As Justice Kennedy explained in Lawrence:

“Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom.”

The Framers wisely acknowledged the fact that they did not have a comprehensive understanding of what constitutes liberty and freedom and that liberty and freedom did not exist in some finite context.

This is why conservative judicial dogma known as ‘originalism’ is false and runs contrary to the Framers’ intent of the Constitution, our Republic, and the rule of law.

I am beginning to think the constitution is highly overated. I have talked to people who say the constitution protects me an my family.

How so?

Not even to mention all the Presidents who have violated it. So what gives?

The Constitution is a contract. The Bill of Rights was originally just protection from the federal government but it contains rights that have been incorporated and protects you from the States.

Thus the constitution was ignored, not enforced and thus once again demonstrates how irrelevant it can be in some cases.
Ok. Thanks. I think I've got it. Obama was born in 1961.

8 U.S. Code § 1405 - Persons born in Hawaii

A person born in Hawaii on or after August 12, 1898, and before April 30, 1900, is declared to be a citizen of the United States as of April 30, 1900. A person born in Hawaii on or after April 30, 1900, is a citizen of the United States at birth. A person who was a citizen of the Republic of Hawaii on August 12, 1898, is declared to be a citizen of the United States as of April 30, 1900.

(June 27, 1952, ch. 477, title III, ch. 1, § 305, 66 Stat. 237.)

there's a reason we are not a democracy
Ffs. You are a democracy. An ignorant democracy perhaps, but a democracy for all that.

democracy noun (democracies) 1 a form of government in which the people govern themselves or elect representatives to govern them. 2 a country, state or other body with such a form of government.
ETYMOLOGY: 16c: from French démocratie, from Greek demos people + kratos
strength.​

The Framers wisely acknowledged the fact that they did not have a comprehensive understanding of what constitutes liberty and freedom and that liberty and freedom did not exist in some finite context.

This is why conservative judicial dogma known as ‘originalism’ is false and runs contrary to the Framers’ intent of the Constitution, our Republic, and the rule of law.

Good one Clay.....

It strikes me that these constitutional fundamentalists have probably been responsible for more counter productive constitutional violations than anyone else

~S~

Ffs. You are a democracy. An ignorant democracy perhaps, but a democracy for all that.

democracy noun (democracies) 1 a form of government in which the people govern themselves or elect representatives to govern them. 2 a country, state or other body with such a form of government.
strength.​

As a REPUBLIC which we stand!

We are a Republic not a true Democracy.

republic meaning - Bing

As to answer the OP'er the Constitution is only outdated and wrong when someone does not get their way...

As for Obama, it is over let not start the birther nonsense again.

I am beginning to think the constitution is highly overated. I have talked to people who say the constitution protects me an my family.

How so?

Living documents evolve. They never get outdated. These so called "originalists", they are outdated.
what part of it needs to 'evolve'?
All of it. That's how evolution works.

strength.​
We are a Constitutional Republic.

Your 'definition' doesn't mention our Constitution, so that should have told you that you're wrong, but you're a leftist.....

How so?

Living documents evolve. They never get outdated. These so called "originalists", they are outdated.
what part of it needs to 'evolve'?
All of it. That's how evolution works.
So you want to change the best Constitution in the world to what?

Please list the rights you want removed or added and why.

How so?

Would you like to start with the fact that you can la-di-da onto the Internet, or into anywhere public, and badmouth the Constitution or any other aspect of our government in the complete security of knowing that they aren't going to retaliate in any way?

How so?

"They never get outdated." Of course, "living documents" are also utterly meaningless, so there's that.

How so?

The Constitution is about preserving and defending freedom. ONLY idiots think it's outdated and overrated.

the constitution protects me an my family.

How so?

By limiting the power the government has in order to protect individual rights. Without the constitution, the government would be running roughshod over the people.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back