Is the American flag becoming a symbol of hate?

Interesting article on Fox but not what they intended. Trump sycophants have successfully grabbed the flag and patriotic imagery to reflect their distorted political views. The result is that many outside the pro-Trump circle assume overt displays of patriotic symbols isn’t support for America but for Trumpism.

Has the flag and patriotic imagery been co-opted and spoiled? How do we free the flag?
———————
MSNBC contributor Mara Gay said Tuesday that she was "disturbed" to see "dozens of American flags" flown by Donald Trump supporters during a weekend trip to Long Island, New York.

The left-wing editorial board member for The New York Times was also distressed by what she called expletives on the trucks against President Biden, describing the flag-flying Trump supporters as sending a clear message: "This is my country … not your country. I own this."

lefties hate the flag because it represents two things they hate freedom and the USA
I don’t think that’s true. Standing up for democracy, voting rights and freedom sounds like loving America. Trying to overthrow the will of the people sounds unAmerican.

Wow! Generations of Americans have honored the Flag in spite of FDR's illegal order that justified incarcerating American citizens without due process. Americans watched about 6,000 Marines die in a month to take a smelly island that could have been bypassed but the raising of the Flag on Iwo Jima became the symbol of America at the time. We had relative peace and prosperity during Trump's four years but the radicals who have taken over our great democracy now view Old Glory as a symbol of oppression. Get ready for some bad shit in the next couple of years.
What it stands for.... what it’s being used for....

099C7337-DD63-49AE-89B7-8B8978847A92.png

Interesting article on Fox but not what they intended. Trump sycophants have successfully grabbed the flag and patriotic imagery to reflect their distorted political views. The result is that many outside the pro-Trump circle assume overt displays of patriotic symbols isn’t support for America but for Trumpism.

Has the flag and patriotic imagery been co-opted and spoiled? How do we free the flag?
———————
MSNBC contributor Mara Gay said Tuesday that she was "disturbed" to see "dozens of American flags" flown by Donald Trump supporters during a weekend trip to Long Island, New York.

The left-wing editorial board member for The New York Times was also distressed by what she called expletives on the trucks against President Biden, describing the flag-flying Trump supporters as sending a clear message: "This is my country … not your country. I own this."

The Triple K displayed the stars and stripes in their march on Washington, so maybe?

1623237786200.png

Wow! Generations of Americans have honored the Flag in spite of FDR's illegal order that justified incarcerating American citizens without due process. Americans watched about 6,000 Marines die in a month to take a smelly island that could have been bypassed but the raising of the Flag on Iwo Jima became the symbol of America at the time. We had relative peace and prosperity during Trump's four years but the radicals who have taken over our great democracy now view Old Glory as a symbol of oppression. Get ready for some bad shit in the next couple of years.

View attachment 499094
City,

It is an interesting topic...

In Ireland the Irish Tricolour (Green, White and Orange) was used by IRA terrorists when they were killing people in there bombing campaigns in Northern Ireland and UK mainland. They used it in video addresses, fund-raising, marches.... It was a symbol... They hijacked it and made the people of Ireland embarrassed about there flag, it represented the killing of women and kids on the street of Manchester, Liverpool...

Since the peace came 25 years ago it has been noted that the Irish won back their flag. It represents the country again. It's association with violence of the 70s and 80s is mainly gone. Instead it stands for proud people who want to be warm and welcoming...

People and organisations will always try and hijack your symbols and flags for there own gain... Church was used in the same way in Europe... Wrap yourself in the Flag... Reality is that the GOP are into the flags and the symbolism but duck out when the hard work of building a proper functioning society needs to be done.

So I say, grab on to the flag and tell people who use it for there agenda that they cheapen and insult the memories of the people who fought to preserve it..

View attachment 499094
I think the Left continues to make a huge, huge mistake regarding the flag. The Left has allowed these people to claim it as their own, as they pervert its very meaning and history. Then the Left ends up on the other side of the flag.

The Left should stop treating the flag as some kind of divisive utility, such as when they don't allow it on clothing in schools for fear it will "offend" someone. Their message should be the opposite -- "fuck you, this is ours, stop soiling it".

Last edited:

———————

No. It's been a symbol of hate all around the world for A LONG TIME.

View attachment 499094
Progs live on a stage. It works well in a nation that has become shallow, vacuous and selfish. Ideas are fine if the work is always present to support them. That is not how it is though. Children are secondary to many. And the state has to foot the bill. It is bad enough that it has to fit the bill to an extent for those who play by moral rules.

View attachment 499094
City,

It is an interesting topic...

In Ireland the Irish Tricolour (Green, White and Orange) was used by IRA terrorists when they were killing people in there bombing campaigns in Northern Ireland and UK mainland. They used it in video addresses, fund-raising, marches.... It was a symbol... They hijacked it and made the people of Ireland embarrassed about there flag, it represented the killing of women and kids on the street of Manchester, Liverpool...

Since the peace came 25 years ago it has been noted that the Irish won back their flag. It represents the country again. It's association with violence of the 70s and 80s is mainly gone. Instead it stands for proud people who want to be warm and welcoming...

People and organisations will always try and hijack your symbols and flags for there own gain... Church was used in the same way in Europe... Wrap yourself in the Flag... Reality is that the GOP are into the flags and the symbolism but duck out when the hard work of building a proper functioning society needs to be done.

So I say, grab on to the flag and tell people who use it for there agenda that they cheapen and insult the memories of the people who fought to preserve it..
What a well written post. Thanks for the history perspective and insight.

*I might plagiarize you elsewhere.

View attachment 499094
I think the Left continues to make a huge, huge mistake regarding the flag. The Left has allowed these people to claim it as their own, as they pervert its very meaning and history. Then the Left ends up on the other side of the flag.

The Left should stop treating the flag as some kind of divisive utility, such as when they don't allow it on clothing in schools for fear it will "offend" someone. Their message should be the opposite -- "fuck you, this is ours, stop soiling it".
I haven’t seen flag banned from school clothing. Sounds like a one off crazy move from somewhere.

I agree with you overall though. It’s similar to the national anthem. Liberals were painted as America hating and soldier disrespecting traitors for protesting a worthy cause. Cons turned it into a marketing campaign on patriotism vs the liberal intended outlet for and commentary on equal justice. Cons suck at making the world a better place but are good marketers.

Progs live on a stage. It works well in a nation that has become shallow, vacuous and selfish. Ideas are fine if the work is always present to support them. That is not how it is though. Children are secondary to many. And the state has to foot the bill. It is bad enough that it has to fit the bill to an extent for those who play by moral rules
Pretty broad generalizations you are making. We can’t be both the society that over helicopter parents it’s snowflake kids and a society that doesn’t care about kids who we want the state to raise.

It’s more nuanced then that. Progressives believe there is some community responsibilities that an individual has and some responsibilities the community has - like healthcare, education, protecting an individuals right over their life and body. For some reason those elements are despised by conservatives. Makes no sense.

———————

You're blaming the decades-long flag hate harbored by the left on the Jan 6 incident?

Good god.

You're blaming the decades-long flag hate harbored by the left on the Jan 6 incident?
Stop being so tribal. It’s not a team sport, mofo. Nothing you typed reflects anything I stated.
You just typed what you want to read I guess.

Let spell it s l o w l y for you. Trump morons display the flag all over the place to feel like they are the sole stewards of what’s right for this country. When non trumpians see the flag we know it’s likely an antivaxer racist insurrectionist gaslighter. Makes us less likely to display the flag except on purposeful occasions.

———————

People like you are an embarrassment

———————

No.

Leftists hate the flag because it represents Freedom and Liberty, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights......they hate those things because it limits the power of the government.....to leftists, the government is God.....and anything that prevents their God from having power and control is evil......this is why they hate the American flag..it represents limits on the power of the government, a country whose people grant power to their representatives.....they are not subjects of those representatives..

———————

People like you are an embarrassment
What people are that? Non Trump sycophants? People not blinded by hate? People who aren’t dumb motherfuckers who think the election was stolen? Americans that are not stupid morons who that think vaccines are political tools or bio weapons? What people?

———————

No.

Leftists hate the flag because it represents Freedom and Liberty, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights......they hate those things because it limits the power of the government.....to leftists, the government is God.....and anything that prevents their God from having power and control is evil......this is why they hate the American flag..it represents limits on the power of the government, a country whose people grant power to their representatives.....they are not subjects of those representatives..
That’s not true. The OP was clear. The Trump intolerant sycophants bathe in flag and patriotic imagery turning off people who are not morons. White robes and hoods aren’t evil by themselves... it’s who now it represents.

———————

Any sane person can see that the hate is not coming from those who display the flag, or other displays of patriotism, but from the anti-American faith who are offended by it.

———————

You have nothing but govt to worship. You are to be pitied.

———————

Any sane person can see that the hate is not coming from those who display the flag, or other displays of patriotism, but from the anti-American faith who are offended by it.
Yea right. Charlottesville or DC? The right wing nuttery and hate is pretty solid. The real issue isn’t these outliers because most right wingers aren’t like that. It’s that you tolerate, refuse to condemn, and coddle to them to keep their support. It’s a crime against what America stands for and a gross misuse of the flag and its imagery.

CEDB162C-993D-4A98-9F88-20C010E00FEB.jpeg

Forum List

Back