Zone1 Is Living in the U.S. A Life Wasted?

There success started in the 1960's, when the rulers began their massive anti-corruption drive and succeeded, so that 'authoritarian' thing is what makes their standard of living very high. It's a trade off, sure, but the two are inter-related. Endemic corrpution is what is killing the U.S.
I'm not sure I'd link public honesty to authoritarianism so explicitly.

Corruption Perceptions Index
1695077644895.png

I'm not sure I'd link public honesty to authoritarianism so explicitly.

Corruption Perceptions Index
View attachment 831043

What works in Denmark or Sweden doesn't work in Asia, except among cultures with similar moral premises, like Malaysian Chinese Methodists, or Vietnamese Daoists.

Singapore is far ahead of the U.S. and of course the majority of Asian countries, and interestingly enough is probably the most 'multi-cultural' of the Asian countries relative to its size, so the 'authoritarianism' works for more than just its Chinese residents; It is also one of the few business cultures left that has a strong ethics base. Don't know how that would be workable in a large population, but it works wonders in Singapore.

Edited to add that Denmark and Sweden have stricter laws on all kinds of issues than the U.S. does, it's just that American Burb Brats don't know anything and think otherwise.

Last edited:
I belong to a group on Facebook for people who have or are interested in dual citizenship. My mother is an immigrant from Singapore and my wife and I have discussed the likelihood of us retiring outside the U.S. when we reach that age. Someone posted a question today simply asking why people wanted dual citizenship. Most people had very short and basic answers: the ease of visiting family, staying longer, wanting a second home abroad, but this one individual wrote something far more intuitive and rather profound.

View attachment 830667

Note: I can't link to this post as it is a private group, so I took a screenshot.

It's hard for me to argue with many of her points. I've travelled all over the world and most people live substandard lives compared to those us in the United States, but there are also plenty of places where people have it better than us, depending on what's most important to you. We do work harder than our industrial counterparts. We do spend less leisure time and less time with our families. We do have a lot of chemicals in our food that other countries do not allow. It does seem like in the United States we're all in a constant rat race, whereas my experience in many European countries is that people live more relaxed and less stressed lives, even if they don't have all the commodities we're accustomed to. I brought up in a thread a few months ago that while Americans make up only 5% of the world population we consume 50% of the world's pharmaceuticals. That's a damning statistic regarding our people.

Are we doing it wrong? I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts.
Maybe he/she just had a bad hair day. It takes a little effort to make your life enjoyable. And money. Money definitely helps.
Anyways, there is a you tube series called "village life Azerbaijan", lots of cooking and just showing how life goes at 5mph. Looks real nice for a vacation but I doubt I could be happy just cooking and doing farm work.

Has anybody here visited Or lived in Thailand? . What was your experience in a place like Bangkok or pattaya beach?
I had a client that vacationed in Thailand. He came back raving over the child brothels. He said the whores were so young he felt comfortable not using a condom. He died of aids.

..... I've travelled all over the world and most people live substandard lives compared to those us in the United States ....
I have traveresd the globe overland and I have lived in several countries, the US being one of them. The US is far behind so many other nations as "quality of life" that it isn't funny. The inherent problem with your statement is that it is saying that the US is better than the third world. To compare your nation with the shitholes of the earth says a whole lot about how bad your country is.

Are we doing it wrong?
Most definitely, yes.
USMB.jpg

Rubbish. The white and Asian dominant areas of the U.S. are safer than most of Europe.
Pure crap. I have been shot at in Vietnam during the war. I have been under mortar fire in Rhodesia during the bush wars. I have been under rocket attack in Bierut during their civil war. I have had Kalashinikovs stuck in my face by the Khmer Rouge revolution in Cambodia. I had rifles pointed at me for being at the wrong place at the wrong time in Tanzania. I had stones thrown at me in Iran during the Islamic Revolution (3 days before the hostage-taking at the US embassy). And I had a pistol pointed at me in traffic one evening at a red light in the US for no reason. One of those experiences stands out more than any of the others.

What works in Denmark or Sweden doesn't work in Asia, except among cultures with similar moral premises, like Malaysian Chinese Methodists, or Vietnamese Daoists.
One has better correlation of public dishonesty with authoritarian states.

Singapore is far ahead of the U.S. and of course the majority of Asian countries, and interestingly enough is probably the most 'multi-cultural' of the Asian countries relative to its size, so the 'authoritarianism' works for more than just its Chinese residents; It is also one of the few business cultures left that has a strong ethics base. Don't know how that would be workable in a large population, but it works wonders in Singapore.

Edited to add that Denmark and Sweden have stricter laws on all kinds of issues than the U.S. does, it's just that American Burb Brats don't know anything and think otherwise.
You are making a very common mistake. You say, "What works in Denmark or Sweden doesn't work in Asia" and then you put it down to the differences or similarities of 'moral premises'. This is no more thought-provoking than "banning guns" alone and expecting a safer environment. Swedish and Danish life is based on a complete system and it starts with social equality for everyone. Fundamentally speaking, if your standard of living is adequate you have no reason to turn to crime.

I belong to a group on Facebook for people who have or are interested in dual citizenship. My mother is an immigrant from Singapore and my wife and I have discussed the likelihood of us retiring outside the U.S. when we reach that age. Someone posted a question today simply asking why people wanted dual citizenship. Most people had very short and basic answers: the ease of visiting family, staying longer, wanting a second home abroad, but this one individual wrote something far more intuitive and rather profound.

View attachment 830667

Note: I can't link to this post as it is a private group, so I took a screenshot.

It's hard for me to argue with many of her points. I've travelled all over the world and most people live substandard lives compared to those us in the United States, but there are also plenty of places where people have it better than us, depending on what's most important to you. We do work harder than our industrial counterparts. We do spend less leisure time and less time with our families. We do have a lot of chemicals in our food that other countries do not allow. It does seem like in the United States we're all in a constant rat race, whereas my experience in many European countries is that people live more relaxed and less stressed lives, even if they don't have all the commodities we're accustomed to. I brought up in a thread a few months ago that while Americans make up only 5% of the world population we consume 50% of the world's pharmaceuticals. That's a damning statistic regarding our people.

People travel from all around the globe to visit the US and many try to come here to live. It is a grass is always greener situation. Most of this chemicals in US food stuff is nonsense. That is the argument those countries use to ban competition from US food companies without triggering retaliatory trade sanctions.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
Pure crap. I have been shot at in Vietnam during the war. I have been under mortar fire in Rhodesia during the bush wars. I have been under rocket attack in Bierut during their civil war. I have had Kalashinikovs stuck in my face by the Khmer Rouge revolution in Cambodia. I had rifles pointed at me for being at the wrong place at the wrong time in Tanzania. I had stones thrown at me in Iran during the Islamic Revolution (3 days before the hostage-taking at the US embassy). And I had a pistol pointed at me in traffic one evening at a red light in the US for no reason. One of those experiences stands out more than any of the others.

Nobody doubts you're such an asshole most people want to kill you on sight.
One has better correlation of public dishonesty with authoritarian states.

Depends on who runs the state. All states are 'authoritarian'; if your population is mostly corrupt and amoral, so is your state going to be. Govt. officials don't drop out the sky from outer space, they have the same average moral values of the peoples they govern, authoritarian' or not. All govts. are reflections of the people and cultures they govern.

I belong to a group on Facebook for people who have or are interested in dual citizenship. My mother is an immigrant from Singapore and my wife and I have discussed the likelihood of us retiring outside the U.S. when we reach that age.
You can be useful or useless in the US. You can be useful or useless in other countries.

---Find the Right Retiree Volunteer Opportunities for You---

View attachment 830667

It's basically about how you live life.

Most people find their own country the best, because it's what they understand. Going abroad can be challenging. I've lived in foreigner countries close to home and much further away, and even close to home it can be difficult to adjust. You have a background which is more than just the US, so you can probably adapt better.

Some people like traveling, others can't be bothered.

I used to be a big traveler, I've been to 55 foreigner countries, mas o menos, and lived in five foreign countries (6 if you include Wales). But then I got bored of traveling, everywhere seemed similar, and I'm happier just walking around where I live now....

People travel from all around the globe to visit the US and many try to come here to live. It is a grass is always greener situation. Most of this chemicals in US food stuff is nonsense. That is the argument those countries use to ban competition from US food companies without triggering retaliatory trade sanctions.
So, the GMO's, and products such as Monsanto, and the fact that Americans are dropping dead like flies in July of cancer is ...... a hoax just "to ban competition from US food companies"? Yeah, sure. :auiqs.jpg:

So, the GMO's, and products such as Monsanto, and the fact that Americans are dropping dead like flies in July of cancer is ...... a hoax just "to ban competition from US food companies"? Yeah, sure. :auiqs.jpg:
No one is forcing you to consume GMO’s

There is plenty of non GMO food available if you look for it

Choose your spot ..... and don't be late. I have lots to do and I can't be standing around waiting for you to change your piss-drenched underwear.

lol you didn't even post anything related to what I said, just babbled your silly Darwin Award entries. You pissed yourself and just keep sniveling over and over.

Forum List

Back