Is it just me or...

Pilate

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2016
does modern society have a seemingly unhealthy obsession with work? I see many people who view work as an end to a means rather than a means to reach retirement. They seem to value their freedom less than they value labor. I constantly hear things like, "I love my job" and, "I need to work, I don't know what I'd do otherwise." Am I the only person who feels like there is something horribly wrong with this mindset? Even discussions during off time are about work.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 76
You obviously hang out with a bunch of workaholics........ :eusa_whistle:
I wouldn't exactly describe living with my parents as "hanging out." I mean, it doesn't happen as much with my friends. Perhaps it's a generational thing. My mom works weekends...voluntarily.

Have you ever tried to live on your own? Then you would understand why working is a large part of someones life..

Have you ever tried to live on your own? Then you would understand why working is a large part of someones life..
I think you're missing the point. Work is a means to an end. We work so that we may live a leisurely life off of our savings. Work is self imposed necessary suffering. I suspect that those who defend it have been broken in some way. Do convicts love community service? No. They love finishing it.

I think you're missing the point. Work is a means to an end. We work so that we may live a leisurely life off of our savings. Work is self imposed necessary suffering. I suspect that those who defend it have been broken in some way. Do convicts love community service? No. They love finishing it.
Here's a solution, you start a business, work 20 hours a day, eight days a week (yeah I said eight), live off of tuna fish and baked beans for years until the business starts turning a profit...... if it ever does turn a profit. If it doesn't you figure out what mistakes were made and do it all over again, eventually you'll get it right and make more money than you'll ever need.

When you get to retirement age, if you have any savings to live off of, you may finish it...

If your work is "necessary suffering", you need to find another career.

Maybe that is the difference between a job and a career.

I have had jobs I hated. I found something else and didn't look back.

Certainly though you don't view working as the end goal of your life nor as your main purpose here on earth, do you?

Certainly though you don't view working as the end goal of your life nor as your main purpose here on earth, do you?

My work has purpose beyond a paycheck.

And since a full time job dominates much our time, it is often talked about.

When you get to retirement age, if you have any savings to live off of, you may finish it...
That should read "if" you get to retirement.

Enjoy work so much it doesn't seem like work. Once you achieve that life's a breeze and lots of fun.
I'd be lying if I said that didn't sound dystopian in nature. I wonder if your sentiment is genuine or if it has been imposed upon you by society for more sinister purposes. I doubt that anyone could know as that goes to the very core of what influences what causes people to like what it is that they like.

For me, it's called a strong work ethic. There is joy in the labor itself, in striving to thrive.

does modern society have a seemingly unhealthy obsession with work? I see many people who view work as an end to a means rather than a means to reach retirement. They seem to value their freedom less than they value labor. I constantly hear things like, "I love my job" and, "I need to work, I don't know what I'd do otherwise." Am I the only person who feels like there is something horribly wrong with this mindset? Even discussions during off time are about work.

Work is a means to an end. It is what allows you to live your life it isn't your life. And you are right many people have nothing else that gives them satisfaction. The CEO of the company I work for is 62 years old and has a wealth of $300 million at least. Yet he continues to come to work and stare at four walls. In my opinion there is something wrong upstairs with someone like this. You get one life and could die at any moment, why in hell aren't you in Hawaii, or Alaska, climbing the pyramids, or the Mayan temples, sailing around the world, or just travelling to see as much as this spectacular world as you can before you are gone forever. I will never understand this.

There isn't any money left to make, there isn't anything left to build. Go learn to fly, or skydive, or scuba dive, or how about take your money and start feeding hungry children, or building houses, or your version of Carnegie Hall.

No human on their death bed says "if only I had worked one more day". Work, work hard, then party like it's 1999.

I guess I am just one of the lucky ones. Work for me is not a means to an end, but a very important part of what makes me, me, instead.

Enjoy work so much it doesn't seem like work. Once you achieve that life's a breeze and lots of fun.
I'd be lying if I said that didn't sound dystopian in nature. I wonder if your sentiment is genuine or if it has been imposed upon you by society for more sinister purposes. I doubt that anyone could know as that goes to the very core of what influences what causes people to like what it is that they like.
Wonder away...

Forum List

Back