Is it "Congress's" Constitutional Duty To Raise The Debt Ceiling?

yes the debt can’t be questioned…that has nothing to do with raising rhe debt ceiling
They are directly related. The debt ceiling was created more then 100 years after the US constitution was passed.

Paying the debt is relative to a debt limit.
sure we need more of a debt limit to pay the debt…agreed

but the 14th amendment deals with it being questioned…defaulting (not paying) isn’t questioning it, it’s just defaulting

if i don’t pay my credit card i’m not necessarily questioning i owe the debt, i just might not have money

explain how not paying a debt equates automatically to me questioning the debt
Did I make that claim? I said the debt limit is indeed connected to paying the debt. I’m not sure how you can deny that.

I already answered your question. I am for fiscal responsibility no matter which party is president. Yes, both parties spend like there is no tomorrow but today is today and today Republicans want to cut spending and Democrats refuse to even talk about it and people like you are defending democrats for refusing to talk about cutting spending.
That's nonsense.

Do you actually walk the walk?

Answer the question.

Spending is what drives deficits

As I showed you in post #432 tax revenue INCREASED after the Reagan tax cuts

But spending went up faster
That's stupid.

Revenues should grow in relation to nominal GDP.

It doesn't happen "because Supply Side"

That's nonsense.

Do you actually walk the walk?

Answer the question.
I don't know what that means but I have always been for fiscal responsibility and blame both parties for our 32 trillion dollar debt. Don't you think it is high time we started addressing our runaway spending?

Spending is what drives deficits

As I showed you in post #432 tax revenue INCREASED after the Reagan tax cuts

But spending went up faster
Yes, increasing spending at rates greater than revenue increases causes debt. Cuts in tax rates results in a long term increase in revenues

During Reagan’s first term, the top marginal tax rate was something like 80 or 90%. Revenues from that tax were about 450 billion dollars a year. Reagan persuaded to lower that tax rate into the low 30% range. Revenues from that same tax doubled to almost a trillion dollars. Congress, controlled by Democrats went wild with all that new revenue flowing in.

yes it does…how?
How? That particular section of the 14th amendment deals with paying the federal debt. The debt limit deals with the accumulation of debt. That obviously line the two. How much clearer can that be?

How? That particular section of the 14th amendment deals with paying the federal debt. The debt limit deals with the accumulation of debt. That obviously line the two. How much clearer can that be?
no it doesn’t. It simply says he won’t be questioned. It says nothing about paying it

no it doesn’t. It simply says he won’t be questioned. It says nothing about paying it
Then tell me how they are not linked. Tell me how a section of the US constitution dealing with paying the US debt is not linked with the debt limit?

New Topics

Forum List

Back