Is college a scam?

Depends on your goal and major.

Some loon pursuing Lesbian Studies will be scammed.....a law degree not so much

Kids need to research what will make them the money and be in demand...........Don't go to be a starving artist.

Its too easy to cruise through school and come up empty in the end...not everyone should go to college...the number of trade schools should be increased ten fold...especially in the larger cities...

This tenured professor thinks so.

What say you?

It greatly depends on exactly what skill you learn, and if you actually learn something.

There are too many colleges, where you learn more on your own, than you do in college.

Additionally, if you learn something useless, it tends to be a waste.

I knew a girl who got a degree in Art History, and walked out with no job, and no prospects, because she didn't want to teach.

She ended up teaching herself how to make web pages, and selling services to businesses in the area.

Of course she could have done that without wasting a single penny on a college degree.

That said, if you are an engineer and you intend to do engineering, you can do engineering without a degree, by starting off at the bottom and working your way up. A degree in engineer will open doors faster, and open up more options to start at a step higher on the ladder, than entry level.

It all depends on what degree you get, and how you intend to use it.

I think the kicker that Stossel is correctly pointing out here, is that a degree doesn't mean jack compared to your ability. If you suck, a degree doesn't change your suckage.

We had a guy with a 4-year degree, and he couldn't do anything. Absolutely useless. Had to fire him. Had no value to the company at all.

Marketable degrees in Math, Science, Engineering, Law etc are worth the cost. Anything else you better think long and hard if you want to shell out six figures for a low 5 figure salary. You will be digging out of that hole for many years.

This tenured professor thinks so.

What say you?

It greatly depends on exactly what skill you learn, and if you actually learn something.

There are too many colleges, where you learn more on your own, than you do in college.

Additionally, if you learn something useless, it tends to be a waste.

I knew a girl who got a degree in Art History, and walked out with no job, and no prospects, because she didn't want to teach.

She ended up teaching herself how to make web pages, and selling services to businesses in the area.

Of course she could have done that without wasting a single penny on a college degree.

That said, if you are an engineer and you intend to do engineering, you can do engineering without a degree, by starting off at the bottom and working your way up. A degree in engineer will open doors faster, and open up more options to start at a step higher on the ladder, than entry level.

It all depends on what degree you get, and how you intend to use it.

I think the kicker that Stossel is correctly pointing out here, is that a degree doesn't mean jack compared to your ability. If you suck, a degree doesn't change your suckage.

We had a guy with a 4-year degree, and he couldn't do anything. Absolutely useless. Had to fire him. Had no value to the company at all.

I'd agree with some of that, but NOTHING learned can be described as a "waste". Literally nothing.

Only savages would make a thread like this..Seriously, without college our society would be poorer then somalia and just as backwards.

We need doctors, scientist, and engineers. You don't get these kinds of people off of watching youtube video's but real life training and classes that promote advanced learning. Good luck filling 90% of the need without colleges within our society.

It isn't going to work...

Are colleges ripping people off these days? Sure, but that is because they have become more about fucking money just like any other business.

Do they actually teach that ? Maybe they've gone further down than I thought.

Gay and Lesbian Studies | Careers & Sample Curriculum | The Princeton Review
Right, because there is a job market for those who work with the gay community. In somewhat related news, Catholics help keep the child psychology courses alive, if you know what I mean...

"Wrong" things, like what? Which sciences? Which liberal arts? which music or linguistic classes? WTF are you even talking about?
Have you been to college ? College these days are leftist indoctrination factories. History is taught from a leftist perspective. Just about all social studies is. In macroeconomics, kids are taught the US is the # 1 imperialist country in the world.

Really? Actually the US is the # 1 VICTIM of imperialism in the world today, with $138 Billion being pillaged out of our economy by Mexico, China, et al.

Kids are also taught that America is guilty of institutionalized racism against blacks. Actually, whites are the # 1 victims of institutionalized racism, and the institution doing it is Affirmative Action discrimination against whites.

Kids are taught that immigration is good for America. It's one of the worst things that America could bedoing. The US population is many times larger than t's optimum level, & e list of harms this does to Americans is a long one.

Kids are taught that the death penalty is more expnsive than life imprisonment. Maybe so,IF you alow convicd killers to have expensive appeals for 30 years or more. Well, DON'T DO THAT.

Colleges also teach that the death penalty is not a deterrent. Actuallyit does deter all those who receive it.

Last edited:

Do they actually teach that ? Maybe they've gone further down than I thought.

Gay and Lesbian Studies | Careers & Sample Curriculum | The Princeton Review
Rught, because there is a job market for those who work with the gay community. In somewhat related news, Catholics help keep the child psychology courses alive, if you know what I mean...

Shit dude your posts are a jumbled mess I doubt you know what you are trying to spew

Forum List

Back