Is chess a sport?

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past

I want to see a match between Carlsen and Ding. To answer the title question. Yes, it is a mental sport that will test you physically as well.

He has dual citizenship.
The key is "born in USA". He was probably educated/influenced there as well though I don't know anything beyond his birth state from him stating it somwhere. I am trying to rebuild a new rating myself as I used to be over 2000. I am probably a solid 1750-1800 ELO rating. If I focused and studied (I dont follow deep historical "right moves" only the first 5-6 opening or defense moves). My style is inspired by Tal or Morphy as I love the creativity and energy of active play, not memorization.

sport
[spôrt]

NOUN
  1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

within the game of chess it challenges them mentally and physically to win so they are athletes.

I agree it's mentally challenging, I like Chess.

But, it's not a sport. If Chess is a sport we're all athletes, just getting out of bed in the morning is physically challenging sometimes......Come to think of it, it's mentally challenging as well.

:bigbed:

within the game of chess it challenges them mentally and physically to win so they are athletes.
Lifting those 1 ounce chess pieces and moving them 2 inches challenges them physically?
Hope they are in shape.

Forum List

Back