Is belief an intentional act?

Yes, I believe "belief" is intentional because it falls within our freewill.

What we believe is based on our moral principles and our experiences. Those beliefs can change based on a variety of reasons.

So I will toss the challenge to you. Believe in unicorns for a week. I don't mean pretend to believe, but actually believe. See how your freewill works out.

What we believe is based on our moral principles and our experiences. Those beliefs can change based on a variety of reasons.

So I will toss the challenge to you. Believe in unicorns for a week. I don't mean pretend to believe, but actually believe. See how your freewill works out.

How about baby steps first. Why not start with ghosts and then work our way up to unicorns? (smile)

this was the name of what I already believed without ever coming across it before. I never decided to believe, I just did.

sight over sound ...

your example seems to be more knowing it to be true than believing it ... as instilled over intentional. an evolutionary knowledge that worked you somehow are aware of.

I don't think so. Just because I believe something does not make it true and it certainly doesn't constitute knowledge.
I don't think so. Just because I believe something does not make it true and it certainly doesn't constitute knowledge.

columbus crossed the void and discovered land -

does not make it true ...

you have a real problem of not making it to the finish line.

How about baby steps first. Why not start with ghosts and then work our way up to unicorns? (smile)

That would depend on whether or not you believe in ghosts already. The point is to believe in something you don't currently believe in to see if it can be done just by deciding to do it.

this was the name of what I already believed without ever coming across it before. I never decided to believe, I just did.

sight over sound ...

your example seems to be more knowing it to be true than believing it ... as instilled over intentional. an evolutionary knowledge that worked you somehow are aware of.

Luckily, I'm not in a race so I have no need to cross a finish line.

sight over sound ...

it shows ... youngster.

sight over sound ...

it shows ... youngster.

Well, it has been a few decades since I was called that so.... thank you. :)

sight over sound ...

it shows ... youngster.

.... and haven't crossed a finish line yet -

Just because I believe something does not make it true and it certainly doesn't constitute knowledge.

in your case whatever could it be.

it shows ... youngster.

Just because I believe something does not make it true and it certainly doesn't constitute knowledge.

Hard to say, really. It could be wishful thinking, an attempt to make sense of things, or just following a genetic command. None of which changes the simple fact that belief is not the same thing as knowledge. You do understand that, don't you?

it shows ... youngster.

Hard to say, really. It could be wishful thinking, an attempt to make sense of things, or just following a genetic command. None of which changes the simple fact that belief is not the same thing as knowledge. You do understand that, don't you?

my impression is you do not believe a belief can ever become a knowledge, you are not alone - religiously, a triumph is such an instance, a sabbath - you seem not to have triumphed in your thoughts for one reason or another. the progression of evolution relies entirely on the metaphysical converting one physical state to another.

it shows ... youngster.

my impression is you do not believe a belief can ever become a knowledge, you are not alone - religiously, a triumph is such an instance, a sabbath - you seem not to have triumphed in your thoughts for one reason or another. the progression of evolution relies entirely on the metaphysical converting one physical state to another.

Not triumph. Interesting choice of word. You seem to have a very competitive attitude about it. Triumph, crossing a finish line.

In any case, it is just my acceptance of what I do not know. I feel no need to convince myself that I possess knowledge I do not possess. Could it become knowledge? Of course. But historically when what we believe becomes what we know, the belief turns out to be dead wrong. So it seems to me getting into a twist over it is a pointless waste of time.

In any case, it is just my acceptance of what I do not know. I feel no need to convince myself that I possess knowledge I do not possess. Could it become knowledge? Of course. But historically when what we believe becomes what we know, the belief turns out to be dead wrong. So it seems to me getting into a twist over it is a pointless waste of time.

that's all that is meant by crossing the finish line ...

the belief turns out to be dead wrong -

that might not matter so much, belief - crossing the finish line when it is faith as the motivation is a fulfillment, seldom wrong. more in line with what was intended.

your op is fading fast ...

You said Odin. I don't think I can believe in Odin because I know it's Greek Mythology and there was no Mt. Olympus.

To answer your question, how can someone believe in something they do not believe in now? They would have to find out they were wrong. I mean they can't just believe by themselves. Something external has to change their mind. Belief isn't just faith-based.

You said Odin. I don't think I can believe in Odin because I know it's Greek Mythology and there was no Mt. Olympus.

To answer your question, how can someone believe in something they do not believe in now? They would have to find out they were wrong. I mean they can't just believe by themselves. Something external has to change their mind. Belief isn't just faith-based.

So it isn't an intentional act. Pretty much my take on it.

that's all that is meant by crossing the finish line ...

the belief turns out to be dead wrong -

that might not matter so much, belief - crossing the finish line when it is faith as the motivation is a fulfillment, seldom wrong. more in line with what was intended.

your op is fading fast ...

I guess that means I won't win.

You apparently don't know much about mythology. ZEUS is the one who led the gods on Mt. Olympus.

Odin is from Norse mythology. Here...............educate yourself..................

Odin - Wikipedia

As far as belief being innate or a choice? I'm gonna go with choice. Because of the way all the foster families lied to me about religion, I turned my back on it because it made no sense to me. That was a conscious choice to change my beliefs every time I changed foster families because I wanted to fit in and be like them. After I became an adult? I chose to turn my back on all forms of organized religions. Again, another choice to change my beliefs.

Then, in my 30's, I came across Taoist beliefs and their system, and to tell you the truth, it kinda made sense, so I again changed my belief systems by choice, and became a Taoist.

You apparently don't know much about mythology. ZEUS is the one who led the gods on Mt. Olympus.

Odin is from Norse mythology. Here...............educate yourself..................

Odin - Wikipedia

As far as belief being innate or a choice? I'm gonna go with choice. Because of the way all the foster families lied to me about religion, I turned my back on it because it made no sense to me. That was a conscious choice to change my beliefs every time I changed foster families because I wanted to fit in and be like them. After I became an adult? I chose to turn my back on all forms of organized religions. Again, another choice to change my beliefs.

Then, in my 30's, I came across Taoist beliefs and their system, and to tell you the truth, it kinda made sense, so I again changed my belief systems by choice, and became a Taoist.

I understand what you are saying, but if it is a matter of choice then you should be able to change belief at will. What you seem to be saying is that you turned your back on those other beliefs because they made no sense, not because you believed and then decided not to. You never actually believed to begin with. So I will give the same test.... believe in Odin for a week. See if you can do it. I honestly don't think we can.

Odin - Wikipedia

I understand what you are saying, but if it is a matter of choice then you should be able to change belief at will. What you seem to be saying is that you turned your back on those other beliefs because they made no sense, not because you believed and then decided not to. You never actually believed to begin with. So I will give the same test.... believe in Odin for a week. See if you can do it. I honestly don't think we can.

Actually, when I was a kid, I did kinda believe in Odin. Why? My Grandfather was a Norwegian immigrant who liked to tell stories on occasion. Matter of fact, he is kinda the reason I read so much mythology as a kid. And that was for several years of my childhood.

I said that in order to fit in, I changed my beliefs to fit in with whatever family I was in at the time. And, because I changed families 3 different times, and had to change the way I believed, or risk being called a heathen by the family. And, it was those experiences that caused me to turn my back on religion and choose no beliefs for a while. I also had a bit of a grudge against God for being orphaned at 8.

Then, like I said, in my 30's, I came across Taoist philosophy, but that was after researching into a lot of other belief systems as well. Buddhist and Hindu were in there for a while, but Tao is what seemed to make the most sense, so that is how I believe now. Yes, it has always been a conscious choice for me.

Forum List

Back