Is anyone who's in the East Coast Blizzard going outside to do fun stuff in the snow?

When your hometown gets clobbered by a blizzard, what do you do?

• Stay indoors

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Go out and play in the snow somehow (skiing, snowmobiling, running, snowball warring, etc.)

• Go out, take a walk and just enjoy the peace, quiet, relative solitude and beauty

• Go to work and/or do what I'd do if it didn't snow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Host a "stuck in the snow" sleep-over party at your home

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Cook a week's worth of food and freeze it so you don't have to cook after the storm

• Catch up on your reading

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Clean house or do other indoor "chores" you haven't gotten round to

• Build an igloo or snowman or other snow "structure"

• Take photos or paint a landscape

• Hope and pray nothing bad happens -- power goes out, tree or big branch falls on your house/car, etc

• Something else (identify in a post)

• Make a baby

• Make like you're making a baby, but avoid actually doing so

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
So, in D.C. the snow's coming down and little is happening, and truly, this is one of my favorite times to be in D.C. The city is gorgeous to begin with and all the more so covered in a mattress of snow.

There are footprints in the snow outside, so I know some folks have been moving about in it. Once I make it back home, I'm probably going to break out my skis or snowshoes and go out and enjoy it. My son came home last weekend to get his skis and went to the mountain house to get two snowmobiles so he could have some fun in the snow at college. As you might imagine, our family really enjoy winter weather.

Check my trail cameras for deer and other animals in my backyard

Aomething else.....

When the kaka hits the fan, I get dragged into work for 12 hour shifts. That's something I just have to deal with as an employee of an electric utility company.

In another couple hours I'll be heading to our Providence, RI office to make sure I'm there for 6pm tonight. At 6am tomorrow morning I'll either be headed home to MA or to a hotel to await an overnight shift Sunday into Monday, depending on how bad the storm damage is.

my city just 2 inch snow every 5 years
only rain and rain and rain.
so i dont know what is blizzard

obama is freeze now
reptilian.jpg

my city just 2 inch snow every 5 years
only rain and rain and rain.
so i dont know what is blizzard

Think of a blizzard as a tropical storm, but one that has snow falling instead of rain, and since it's solid water rather than liquid water, it piles up instead of flowing away. Also, solid water is far more slippery than is liquid water, or more precisely, in liquid water lying on the land, one can often get enough grip on the land (though the water) so that one can still move about as one would like, most especially one's cars and other vehicles. It's harder to walk in deep snow, and it takes more effort, but one can do so without much trouble overall.

On average, thirteen inches of snow equals one inch of rain in the US, although this ratio can vary from two inches for sleet to nearly fifty inches for very dry, powdery snow under certain conditions. In other words, were this a summer storm, it'd come, it'd go and that'd be that. The current blizzard might, were it a summer rain, last for the same 36-48 hours, and there might be localized flooding from it, but it'd hardly bring "everything" to a halt. (A blizzard doesn't bring everything to a halt, but it brings most things to a halt.)

Forum List

Back