Is anyone else concerned about our nation taking interest in growing food on Mars??

hollyjeanp7

Rookie
May 14, 2016
I mean really... Think about it. Think about our country. We are strategic. We are also broke. We do things that give us an advantage over the rest...
We shut down our space program. We then open it back up and take on the pricey endeavor of shipping seeds to planet Mars, "just to see if we could possibly grow food there". It's inhabitable. This we know. So why on earth would we do this?? The ONLY thing I can come up with is NOT curiosity... Someone, or some group of people have determined that such a project is necessary. There HAS TO BE MOTIVE OR BENEFIT for us to do this.... This isn't something you do for bragging rights. Clearly, there is a need for this food to successfully grow elsewhere. Clearly it is not in a place where we can hop into our vehicles and go pick out for ourselves...
Does anyone else find this odd??!
[emoji290] [emoji277] [emoji264]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I mean really... Think about it. Think about our country. We are strategic. We are also broke. We do things that give us an advantage over the rest...
We shut down our space program. We then open it back up and take on the pricey endeavor of shipping seeds to planet Mars, "just to see if we could possibly grow food there". It's inhabitable. This we know. So why on earth would we do this?? The ONLY thing I can come up with is NOT curiosity... Someone, or some group of people have determined that such a project is necessary. There HAS TO BE MOTIVE OR BENEFIT for us to do this.... This isn't something you do for bragging rights. Clearly, there is a need for this food to successfully grow elsewhere. Clearly it is not in a place where we can hop into our vehicles and go pick out for ourselves...
Does anyone else find this odd??!
[emoji290] [emoji277] [emoji264]

Well, two possibilities:
1. The experiment isn't actually about growing seeds.
2. The government is aware that humans being what they are, some day the very rich and famous leaders of the world will need a place to flee after they've nuked the planet. You and I won't be going. Mars is the new mountain bunker.
I'm absolutely making all this up, I have no idea.

I'm more concerned about planting a few more fruit trees this year.

I recommend buying a matured fruit tree. There's no sense in waiting around for a future blossom... Do it The American way!! Now, now and now.... Who cares what the future holds! Even if it is the future of our children or their children... "You'll probably be dead so who cares".... Right?? How selfless of you! :)

I say go for it! This is one of the reasons why America is the super power and most countries are poorer then shit. We do things that advance our society, spend the money on research and move ahead. Plus it would strengthen humanities ability to avoid extinction level events in the future.

You're another fool that believes that money is a limited resource and the resources of mars couldn't possibly grow our economy. History proves with the discovery of the new world(the America's) that you're mistaken. Imagine the valuable metals that we currently need to beg china for, just by mining the asteroids or mars we could add to our economy and probably have far more of them.

Last edited:
I recommend buying a matured fruit tree. There's no sense in waiting around for a future blossom... Do it The American way!! Now, now and now.... Who cares what the future holds! Even if it is the future of our children or their children... "You'll probably be dead so who cares".... Right?? How selfless of you! :)

Well, maybe humanity should go back to eastern Africa and only plant anything there. You know exploration and expansion is a bad thing.

Nah, I'm thinking more along the lines of a 4-in-1 apple and 4-in-1 pear tree first. I got 12 years left on the mortgage, so plenty of time to watch my work blossom. :afro:

4-in-1 Pear Tree | Pear Trees | Willis Orchards

I have a four in one apple tree. None of the apples taste right. Maybe it is just this tree, but I would not go with another one from the experiance I have had with this one.

At present, all of humanity's eggs are in one basket, Earth. We have seen extinction periods in our geological history that would have resulted in our extinction had we been there. Particularly the most recent one. So the idea of a second home for mankind is hardly far fetched, or some plot by demented individuals for individual survival. In fact, we should also be considering permanent abodes among the asteroids. There is huge wealth there, and we should be considering how to exploit it.

At present, all of humanity's eggs are in one basket, Earth. We have seen extinction periods in our geological history that would have resulted in our extinction had we been there. Particularly the most recent one. So the idea of a second home for mankind is hardly far fetched, or some plot by demented individuals for individual survival. In fact, we should also be considering permanent abodes among the asteroids. There is huge wealth there, and we should be considering how to exploit it.
Just a damn sever lack of oxygen....

I say go for it! This is one of the reasons why America is the super power and most countries are poorer then shit. We do things that advance our society, spend the money on research and move ahead. Plus it would strengthen humanities ability to avoid extinction level events in the future.

You're another fool that believes that money is a limited resource and the resources of mars couldn't possibly grow our economy. History proves with the discovery of the new world(the America's) that you're mistaken. Imagine the valuable metals that we currently need to beg china for, just by mining the asteroids or mars we could add to our economy and probably have far more of them.
Mining metals...not my problem. Growing unnecessary food there = my problem. Clearly YOU are that person. In one breath you assume that i am naive to think we are broke. The next breath we're begging China. Which one is it?

1st stage of creating an atmosphere and setting up for possible long missions.

2nd stage sending prisoners as slave labor to build infrastructure and extract resources, like some think our planet was or like Australia was once used as a penile colony.

Forum List

Back