Is a one year license suspension long enough for a DUI?

Seems to me that it should be more.

In many cases...they don't even lose their license for a whole year.

In some places...you can get it back in 30 days if you need it to drive to work or school.

Ridiculous.

I say a five year suspension is fair.

It may be inconvenient...but they did it to themselves. Ride the bus.
Why not shoot them . Your an idiot ... big brother.

Really? Pretty hard to live and hold down a job without a car unless you happen to live within walking distance of great public transportation and are in really good health, don't you think? Five years is a long time to live without a car. Forget the job, what about getting food, paying bills.

You really think 5 years is reasonable for a first offense? What if the guy got a DUI because he just went through some tragedy in his life and had an otherwise spotless record? What about he was just weaving a little and didn't hurt anyone?

Don't you think simple laws as yours do more harm than good unless they LOOK at the actual individual circumstances and fit the punishment to the crime? Or do you think every DUI is just the same, period.

Five years is a long time to live without a car? Depends actually. I chose to see if I could commute back and forth to work on a bicycle when I was going through a divorce and my motorcycle broke down and I didn't have enough money to fix it. I DID have enough to buy a decent road bike back then though (around 300 bucks), and thought that riding a bike 7 miles each way to work didn't sound like it would be too hard, so I tried it to see how it went.

After I'd done that for 6 months (had saved enough to fix my motorcycle if I wanted), decided that I actually liked the shape I was getting into, as well as it really wasn't that hard to bike the 14 mile round trip each day for work, so I used the money I'd saved, and invested in more bicycle gear (shoes, clipless pedals, rain and cold weather gear, etc.) Because I was in the Navy, and getting ready to go back to sea duty, I decided to see how far I could push it. Ended up racing and doing really well, as well as became something of a legend/curiosity among all the people in the various commands I transferred to. Didn't see a need for a car for the next 10 years until I went to Amarillo TX to be in charge of a MEPS. I still lived a good life, had a fairly active social life, as well as didn't have to worry about car payments, maintenance or insurance and had lots of extra cash for fun stuff. People at the grocery stores I frequented during that time knew me well, and got used to me showing up ever few days to get groceries for the week (lived by myself) in a messenger bag, walking my bicycle through the store. I could get enough groceries and things I needed for a week with 1 trip and my messenger bag.

Yes.....................it IS possible to not have a car for 5 years. I did it for 10. And yeah, while my situation might be different because it was a choice by me, and people with DUI's are forced into it, it can still be done if a person wants to.

By the way............in most states, if you are a first time DUI offender, the punishment isn't too severe if you don't get in a wreck (damaging property), or hurt or kill someone. If you do kill someone or put them in the hospital, they WILL throw the book at you.

First time offense, and no wreck, property damage or killing someone? You generally get to keep your license (although it may be suspended for up to 90 days), but you can get a special exemption if you can prove that you need to drive to stay employed.

A couple of years ago I got pulled over by a cop because I did a little lane changing that looked suspicious to the cop. It was about 11:00 at night.

After checking my driver's license, insurance and registration he inquired as to if I had anything to drink that evening.

I told him that it was our anniversary and we had been to a nice restaurant. I old him that when we got there we each had a 6 ounce stem of Champaign. During our dinner we ordered a bottle of wine from the year we were married. During the dinner my wife and I only drank half the bottle between the two of us. We took the rest of the bottle home and it was in the back seat and he was welcomed to check it if he wanted. I also told him I would take a breath analysis if he wanted.

He thought he had a real DUI possibility and actually seemed like he was disappointed when it didn't pan out like he wanted. I just got a warning not to drive like a drunk teenager the rest of the way home.

A couple of years ago I got pulled over by a cop because I did a little lane changing that looked suspicious to the cop. It was about 11:00 at night.

After checking my driver's license, insurance and registration he inquired as to if I had anything to drink that evening.

I told him that it was our anniversary and we had been to a nice restaurant. I old him that when we got there we each had a 6 ounce stem of Champaign. During our dinner we ordered a bottle of wine from the year we were married. During the dinner my wife and I only drank half the bottle between the two of us. We took the rest of the bottle home and it was in the back seat and he was welcomed to check it if he wanted. I also told him I would take a breath analysis if he wanted.

He thought he had a real DUI possibility and actually seemed like he was disappointed when it didn't pan out like he wanted. I just got a warning not to drive like a drunk teenager the rest of the way home.

He probably would have pursued it further if you had told him 'yeah, a couple", since that is what most drunk people say to cops and they trigger on that statement.

Back in my hell raiser days of the mid 80's, I got pulled over late at night. Not only was I speeding (probably doing 67 in a 55), but I had just finished a night out with the boys.

Cop pulled me over and asked if I knew I'd been speeding. I said "yes sir, but I'm trying to get back home quickly. Just had a going away party for a friend of mine and my wife is gonna blow her stack because I've been out too late". He then asked if I'd been drinking, and I said "yes, I've had around 5 or 6 drinks for the party, and I'm gonna catch hell for that from my old lady for that as well".

He had me do a quick field test (walk a straight line, touch my fingers to my nose), then told me he'd follow me to make sure I went straight home. He also said that he was happy I was honest with him (I wasn't, as I'd probably had a couple more than just 5 or 6, and there wasn't really a going away party, just a night out with the boys. But, I was married), as well as sympathized with me about being in trouble with my wife.

I probably should have gotten a DUI that night, but didn't. It also taught me to NEVER drive after having more than 2 beers, as it could have been very bad for me and ended my career.

Some lenience on first offense is warranted. Anyone can make a mistake. If the person has a drinking problem, their second offense will occur pretty quickly. At that point, revoke DL for at least 3-5 years. IF they are caught drinking and driving during that period, they need to be taken out of circulation before they kill someone.

I am just estimating but I doubt a person caught driving drunk only did it one time.

Because actually getting a reliable reading below .02 is problematic.

At a certain point you could lose your license for brushing your teeth, using mouthwash, or drinking a malted milkshake. I think 0.08 is what most states use. Its pretty reasonable.

Depending on the person the amount that causes problems varies. I rarely drink, so even one drink affects my performance and I can tell. I don’t drink and drive at all.
thats another problem,,

many people arent effected by several drinks but will still go to jail,, where most people that are sane and sober get away with causes millions of crashes every yr and walk away with a ticket thats easily fixed with a lawyer,,

Forum List

Back