Is a one year license suspension long enough for a DUI?

Nate99

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2022
Seems to me that it should be more.

In many cases...they don't even lose their license for a whole year.

In some places...you can get it back in 30 days if you need it to drive to work or school.

Ridiculous.

I say a five year suspension is fair.

It may be inconvenient...but they did it to themselves. Ride the bus.

In some places...you can get it back in 30 days if you need it to drive to work or school.

Ridiculous.

sane sober people kill more people than drunks,,

Ridiculous.

There are people who drive while under the influence whether they have a valid license or not. For those dedicated drinkers nothing appears to have the ability to stop them or get them to change their ways.

I think they get 5 opportunities to accidentally kill someone before the state thinks about cracking doown on them, at least here.

Some lenience on first offense is warranted. Anyone can make a mistake. If the person has a drinking problem, their second offense will occur pretty quickly. At that point, revoke DL for at least 3-5 years. IF they are caught drinking and driving during that period, they need to be taken out of circulation before they kill someone.

Some lenience on first offense is warranted. Anyone can make a mistake. If the person has a drinking problem, their second offense will occur pretty quickly. At that point, revoke DL for at least 3-5 years. IF they are caught drinking and driving during that period, they need to be taken out of circulation before they kill someone.
one problem is what they consider legally drunk today isnt close to being impaired,,

Really? Pretty hard to live and hold down a job without a car unless you happen to live within walking distance of great public transportation and are in really good health, don't you think? Five years is a long time to live without a car. Forget the job, what about getting food, paying bills.

You really think 5 years is reasonable for a first offense? What if the guy got a DUI because he just went through some tragedy in his life and had an otherwise spotless record? What about he was just weaving a little and didn't hurt anyone?

Don't you think simple laws as yours do more harm than good unless they LOOK at the actual individual circumstances and fit the punishment to the crime? Or do you think every DUI is just the same, period.

Really? Pretty hard to live and hold down a job without a car unless you happen to live within walking distance of great public transportation and are in really good health, don't you think? Five years is a long time to live without a car. Forget the job, what about getting food, paying bills.

Cause and effect.

You really think 5 years is reasonable for a first offense? What if the guy got a DUI because he just went through some tragedy in his life and had an otherwise spotless record?

Tragedy strikes everyone.

What about he was just weaving a little and didn't hurt anyone

Time to take away the driving privilege.

Don't you think simple laws as yours do more harm than good unless they LOOK at the actual individual circumstances and fit the punishment to the crime? Or do you think every DUI is just the same, period.

The latter.

Cause and effect.

Huh? That is a pretty weenie bullshit cop-out answer. What if someone declares you deserve your dick cut off with a cleaver for your tax preparer being off on your taxes this year? Then justify it with the totally glib sound-bite rationalization and non-answer of: "Cause and Effect?" Basically, you deserve it because someone else just decided you do?

I bet that is what Hitler said too when he threw the lever to gas all of his millions of Jewish prisoners, guilty of being born the wrong race: "Oh well, they asked for it by being Jews. Cause and effect."

I'm sure glad I'm not that narrow, arrogant, selfish, bitter and stupid to think of myself as judge, jury and executioner of another person I've never even met, don't know anything about, and are so shallow as to throw another person's life away without even caring.

I'd hate to be there the day you go to meet YOUR judgement.

You really think 5 years is reasonable for a first offense? What if the guy got a DUI because he just went through some tragedy in his life and had an otherwise spotless record? What about he was just weaving a little and didn't hurt anyone?

First DUI should be 15 years. Second life without parole.

Ridiculous.

At .08%, it's too long.

DUI has moved from being a legitemate concern to a grossly over-enforced cash cow for the police state.

I'm sure glad I'm not that narrow, arrogant, selfish, bitter and stupid to think of myself as judge, jury and executioner of another person I've never even met, don't know anything about, and are so shallow as to throw another person's life away without even caring.

Yeah...that's exactly what drunk drivers do sometimes.

sane sober people kill more people than drunks,,
Rush hour is a flip of the coin dealing with overly aggressive drivers weaving through traffic distracted by their phones, and the useless technology of their cars.
Add the hurried soccer moms trying to get their kids to appointments or school functions.
At least the drunks are trying to pay attention to the road.

Rush hour is a flip of the coin dealing with overly aggressive drivers weaving through traffic distracted by their phones, and the useless technology of their cars.
Add the hurried soccer moms trying to get their kids to appointments or school functions.
At least the drunks are trying to pay attention to the road.
I fear my sisters driving while shes sober more than I ever do when my dad drives drunk,, also have more fear during rush hour than after dark on a friday night,,

think about this,, a sane sober person runs a red light and gets off with a ticket when if they blew above the limit go to jail even though they committed the same crime,,

Forum List

Back