Is A Eurocentric Education In the Best Interests of African Americans?

I dont believe its hidden, but school boards have the curriculum they feel is important with the resources and time available.

This is the problem with white philosophy and why I say Black people should have their own schools..

So you feel that white people omitting Black history isnt attempting to hide it?

I think the problem is just the lack of emphasis on world history in general. Most Americans are really bad at geography for that reason. I dont believe that it was intentionally to hide things but people in positions to make these decisions are most likely so well educated in history as well. Its most likely Laziness at work when preparing
school curiculum. It's easier to just go with a variation of what was taught before, then so on and so on.

I dont believe its hidden, but school boards have the curriculum they feel is important with the resources and time available.

This is the problem with white philosophy and why I say Black people should have their own schools..

So you feel that white people omitting Black history isnt attempting to hide it?

I think the problem is just the lack of emphasis on world history in general. Most Americans are really bad at geography for that reason. I dont believe that it was intentionally to hide things but people in positions to make these decisions are most likely so well educated in history as well. Its most likely Laziness at work when preparing
school curiculum. It's easier to just go with a variation of what was taught before, then so on and so on.
Really? So you honestly think its just coincidence things are omitted and or glossed over concerning anything positive concerning not only Blacks but other people of color?

Like they never mention how the idea of the constitution or the symbol of the bald eagle came to the founding fathers?

They never mention how it was possible for the US to complete the Louisiana purchase?

They never mention the prestige of Timbuktu?

Really? So you honestly think its just coincidence things are omitted and or glossed over concerning anything positive concerning not only Blacks but other people of color?

Like they never mention how the idea of the constitution or the symbol of the bald eagle came to the founding fathers?

They never mention how it was possible for the US to complete the Louisiana purchase?

Do I think that white people get together each day and talk about how they can keep people of color down, through education? No. Was there a concerted effort at a higher level of government or the educational system? Maybe so, because I do realize there is a lot of history that isnt told.
Our public educational system sucks, i give you no argument there. I believe a good portion of the desparity your talking about is laziness at this point and possible allocation of money, book contracts etc. its something to bring up with the teachers union

Do I think that white people get together each day and talk about how they can keep people of color down, through education? No. Was there a concerted effort at a higher level of government or the educational system? Maybe so, because I do realize there is a lot of history that isnt told.
Our public educational system sucks, i give you no argument there. I believe a good portion of the desparity your talking about is laziness at this point and possible allocation of money, book contracts etc. its something to bring up with the teachers union

No. I dont think the vast majority of whites have a clue whats going on. They are too busy denying something is wrong. I note that a lot of teachers I have spoken to on this issue have told me that they get in trouble when they teach truth. Thats why the vast majority of whites are shocked to the point of flat out denial when they finally read or hear about the truth.

What sort of education do Native Americans get ?

Is it a standard education or do they get a syllabus that reflects their history and culture ?

Can Sioux youngsters learn their history ? Can they learn in their own language ? when they turn on their TV or radio can they be entertained in their own language ?

Is it a standard education or do they get a syllabus that reflects their history and culture ?

Can Sioux youngsters learn their history ? Can they learn in their own language ? when they turn on their TV or radio can they be entertained in their own language ?
We have a couple of Passamaquoddy reservations in the area. They learn both--the history, the culture and the language, as well as the standard fare. They only go K-8, however. They attend high school in town.

I have to say, I cannot think of a more boring textbook than a standard history text. Grab one and take a little read sometime. It tries to cover too much in too little time and with far too little detail to make any real sense. It's garbage to memorize and recite and immediately forget.

History itself is fascinating, but for the most part the curriculum is a recitation of wars and boundary lines, not the good stuff.

That's kind of off topic, I know, but since history is the topic, it isn't just its racial perspective that makes it uninteresting to young people.

Black schools? For teaching a different perspective on history and probably the arts (including literature). Science is universal, Math is universal, thanks to whatever sadistic motherf*er invented it, and phys ed, health, civics, Spanish/French all those don't change, do they? So for two subjects that need additional information and perspective, you need to start whole separate schools? I mean, fine, have at it, but is that a lot of work for a school that is not going to be all that different from the public one down the street?
I have to disagree. Its decidedly different. The level of expectation for starters. The attitude of children that know their ancestors pioneered math and science for another. The pride in achievement devoid of any need for white approval. An ownership of their education. I can go on and on. I went through public school and I have also been able to see the enormous difference in children that attend all Black schools.
Sounds expensive, A. Is it? I love the high expectations and thoroughness of preparation in selective private schools, but so few can afford it.

In my exsperience very little was taught. All my knowledge came from family and elders. Depending on money and how involved each member of the council is determines ur later question. The American Indian is by far the most forgot about in this country, there has been a lack of effort from all of us.

In my exsperience very little was taught. All my knowledge came from family and elders. Depending on money and how involved each member of the council is determines ur later question. The American Indian is by far the most forgot about in this country, there has been a lack of effort from all of us.
You said your knowledge came from family and elders. That seems to be what is happening in OP's community as well. Except the OP's "community" is spread out all over the country, fractured and doesn't share exactly the same "history."

ColumbusDay.jpg

You said your knowledge came from family and elders. That seems to be what is happening in OP's community as well. Except the OP's "community" is spread out all over the country, fractured and doesn't share exactly the same "history."
Are American Indians not fractured?

You tell me. Since you referred to the council, I guessed you were on a reservation, where there is a bit more cohesion, but maybe not.

You tell me. Since you referred to the council, I guessed you were on a reservation, where there is a bit more cohesion, but maybe not.
I made a funny?

We have a couple of Passamaquoddy reservations in the area. They learn both--the history, the culture and the language, as well as the standard fare. They only go K-8, however. They attend high school in town.

I have to say, I cannot think of a more boring textbook than a standard history text. Grab one and take a little read sometime. It tries to cover too much in too little time and with far too little detail to make any real sense. It's garbage to memorize and recite and immediately forget.

History itself is fascinating, but for the most part the curriculum is a recitation of wars and boundary lines, not the good stuff.

That's kind of off topic, I know, but since history is the topic, it isn't just its racial perspective that makes it uninteresting to young people.

Agreed, those were the kind of history books I had, they try to cover too much.

So are you saying black Americans have it worse or that they are less united?

So are you saying black Americans have it worse or that they are less united?
I was asking you. I'm not trying to root for one side or the other. I'm a WASP, so I'm not claiming to know much.

Forum List

Back