Is A Eurocentric Education In the Best Interests of African Americans?

I don't know why you bother posting here at all.

I do have to admit that his extreme racism is just as irritating as that of any white supremacist.

Unless you are black, what I don't understand is your pandering to it.
I'm a teacher. The topic interested me.
By conversing with me you hurt him. This is why he is irritated. White men in particular have issues when Blacks are interested in self determination. It kills all their preconceived notions that Black people look to whites for guidance...or should look.

I do have to admit that his extreme racism is just as irritating as that of any white supremacist.

Ah -- so THAT'S why you support his overt racism -- it's because you are trying to instill that same hatred in the minds of impressionable children.

I guess that explains that.

Ah -- so THAT'S why you support his overt racism -- it's because you are trying to instill that same hatred in the minds of impressionable children.

I guess that explains that.
Stop whining. She doesnt support racism from what I can see.

Why should Black children learn altered history? So many of the things I remember being taught and are taught to the children of today are just recycled eurocentric lies. Good think I was taught history from a truthful Black perspective and i passed this on to my children. Once you learn this everything changes. You realize that your people were the founders of education. You learn they were the first to use math, astronomy, philosophy, etc etc.

Why should Black children learn altered history? So many of the things I remember being taught and are taught to the children of today are just recycled eurocentric lies. Good think I was taught history from a truthful Black perspective and i passed this on to my children. Once you learn this everything changes. You realize that your people were the founders of education. You learn they were the first to use math, astronomy, philosophy, etc etc.
Well, you know I believe that all peoples have contributed to the furtherance of knowledge and no one group should try to plant their flag as NUMBER ONE. Not even you.

How do you start a school or a movement that is not eurocentric? Feminism went through the same thing (on a smaller scale) with the dead white men's canon in literature and the emphasis on men's roles in history. I wouldn't say any great shakes have come from it, but it has been a start. I believe that is also happening to some extent with black history. Not enough, though, is what I'm hearing from you.
So how do you spread your message and your perspective to more than just your own daughters and maybe their friends? Start an after school program? A kids' group at church? Find investors and open a private school? Agitate for text book publishers to include more black history or find an existing black publishing house and push them to develop better materials?
Just like the feminists, start by bitching loud to anyone who will listen and hope eventually something gets done. Which you are already doing. Good luck.

Well, you know I believe that all peoples have contributed to the furtherance of knowledge and no one group should try to plant their flag as NUMBER ONE. Not even you.

How do you start a school or a movement that is not eurocentric? Feminism went through the same thing (on a smaller scale) with the dead white men's canon in literature and the emphasis on men's roles in history. I wouldn't say any great shakes have come from it, but it has been a start. I believe that is also happening to some extent with black history. Not enough, though, is what I'm hearing from you.
So how do you spread your message and your perspective to more than just your own daughters and maybe their friends? Start an after school program? A kids' group at church? Find investors and open a private school? Agitate for text book publishers to include more black history or find an existing black publishing house and push them to develop better materials?
Just like the feminists, start by bitching loud to anyone who will listen and hope eventually something gets done. Which you are already doing. Good luck.
We do all of the things you mentioned. Bitching to the people that have this educational system in place is a waste of time to me. Better start at home and with others. I dont just teach my kids. I teach other peoples kids. My daughter is president of her BSU and I have spoken to them many times about true Black history. Even the few white kids in the group appreciate my speaking to them. I also belong to a group of successful Black men that make it a point to stress knowledge of Black history to our youth. There is a reason you see a resurgence of Black awareness in the youth.

Europe's Forgotten 'Hitler' Killed Over 10 Million Africans -- But the West Erased it From History

This story is getting more and more exposure these days. It wasnt taught to us in school when we,briefly,covered Africa.

One of the benefits of Empire no doubt.

This type of thing is why we had to get rid of Kings. Its why the Americans despised the British monarchy and had to have a revolution. Kings and nobles have made people their surfs and ruled their lives throughout history. It is important to know these things because their is a faction in our government who would like to return us to that kind of authoritarian rule, where congress is ignored and bypassed, and these powerful families become the new royalty,
thinking they are untouchable by the laws that affect the rest of us

Europe's Forgotten 'Hitler' Killed Over 10 Million Africans -- But the West Erased it From History

This story is getting more and more exposure these days. It wasnt taught to us in school when we,briefly,covered Africa.

No one knows about Leopold because he only murdered Africans, I guess. Murder Europeans and it's a different story.
Africa is a long way away. To be fair to Leo the working class poor in Europe were treated as animals as well.

This type of thing is why we had to get rid of Kings. Its why the Americans despised the British monarchy and had to have a revolution. Kings and nobles have made people their surfs and ruled their lives throughout history. It is important to know these things because their is a faction in our government who would like to return us to that kind of authoritarian rule, where congress is ignored and bypassed, and these powerful families become the new royalty,
thinking they are untouchable by the laws that affect the rest of us
In my experience people are more likely to back an individual rather than an idea. It leads to cults and is a bad thing.

No one knows about Leopold because he only murdered Africans, I guess. Murder Europeans and it's a different story.
Africa is a long way away. To be fair to Leo the working class poor in Europe were treated as animals as well.
That makes me feel lots better, Tommy. LOL

The plight of the working classes is deteriorating as we speak. What do you do with all these people in a post industrial society ?

A lot of schools gloss over History in general, at least where I went to school. I would have liked to learn more about world history at the time, there is a lot to know about. I dont believe its hidden, but school boards have the curriculum they feel is important with the resources and time available. I definately believe they could do a much better job though. History seemed quite boring the way it was presented, I always learned more on my own

Story of cities #5: Benin City, the mighty medieval capital now lost without trace

» 100 African Cities Destroyed By Europeans

I dont believe its hidden, but school boards have the curriculum they feel is important with the resources and time available.

This is the problem with white philosophy and why I say Black people should have their own schools..

So you feel that white people omitting Black history isnt attempting to hide it?

The plight of the working classes is deteriorating as we speak. What do you do with all these people in a post industrial society ?
:desk: Kill them?

He murdered about 10 million of those Africans but it has been swept under the rug. Thats not the only thing hidden.

Hitler's Holocaust blueprint: Africa concentration camps used to advance racial theories | Daily Mail Online

"The story of the German extermination of the Herero and Nama peoples has been expunged from the history books - and the tourists and scuba divers on the Shark Bay waterfront will find no mention of it in their guides"

I dont believe its hidden, but school boards have the curriculum they feel is important with the resources and time available.

This is the problem with white philosophy and why I say Black people should have their own schools..

So you feel that white people omitting Black history isnt attempting to hide it?
Black schools? For teaching a different perspective on history and probably the arts (including literature). Science is universal, Math is universal, thanks to whatever sadistic motherf*er invented it, and phys ed, health, civics, Spanish/French all those don't change, do they? So for two subjects that need additional information and perspective, you need to start whole separate schools? I mean, fine, have at it, but is that a lot of work for a school that is not going to be all that different from the public one down the street?

Black schools? For teaching a different perspective on history and probably the arts (including literature). Science is universal, Math is universal, thanks to whatever sadistic motherf*er invented it, and phys ed, health, civics, Spanish/French all those don't change, do they? So for two subjects that need additional information and perspective, you need to start whole separate schools? I mean, fine, have at it, but is that a lot of work for a school that is not going to be all that different from the public one down the street?
I have to disagree. Its decidedly different. The level of expectation for starters. The attitude of children that know their ancestors pioneered math and science for another. The pride in achievement devoid of any need for white approval. An ownership of their education. I can go on and on. I went through public school and I have also been able to see the enormous difference in children that attend all Black schools.

Forum List

Back