Iron Maiden is not in the Rock and Roll HOF

during the 1980's Iron maiden were not only pretty big but they are also influential to those after them....but lets put it this way.....they have contributed more to Rock than Grand master Flash or Madonna......but they should not go in before Deep Purple and Judas Priest as far as hard rock goes....

I think they were okay, but not great, so IMO they really don't belong in the HOF. Of course everyone is going to be angry when a band they really like is overlooked, but not every band can be in the HOF. Of course, Madonna, et al. don't belong in the Rock and Roll HOF either though. I don't think some of the judges know what Rock and Roll is. Lol!
here is what the hall says about what it takes to get in.....
To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence. We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction ......

Maiden fits that as far as hard rock goes.....Madonna doesnt....she is very influential as far as dress goes....but musical excellence?.....

I guess it depends on your musical tastes.

Let's not forget the 'Roll' part of it.

It's not the Rock Hall Of Fame.

It helps to explain acts like Hall & Oates, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Darlene Love, Madonna.

Nothing explains ABBA.

Well then somebody needs to change the Wiki page.
this is what was on the wiki page that i saw about the song.....

Exposition/We Can Work It Out
I like some Iron Maiden songs, but I don't know if they are Hall of Fame worthy. Out of curiosity, for what reasons do people think they deserve to be in the HOF?
during the 1980's Iron maiden were not only pretty big but they are also influential to those after them....but lets put it this way.....they have contributed more to Rock than Grand master Flash or Madonna......but they should not go in before Deep Purple and Judas Priest as far as hard rock goes....

You didn't link anything, and we're beating a dead horse but here's what the page I saw said, under the track listing, and still does: (the page is here)

4."(a) Exposition"
"(b) We Can Work It Out" (The Beatles cover)
Blackmore, Simper, Lord, Paice,
John Lennon, Paul McCartney
7:06
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So --- I'm just the messenger.

Personal tastes will always be no more than that but honesty y'all are selling Madonna short. Seriously. Whether it's art or not, the woman knew what she was doing and how to put a good song together -- within the idiom wherein she worked.

DP, JP, IM as far as I'm concerned are nothing more than posers with amplifiers and effects boxes. Not exactly out of reach of what anybody with the same toys can do (hence Mario Mendoza).

But I've never been impressed with techno jiggery-pokery. I'm more looking for the human expression of art. And working with live acts just, pardon the pun, amplified all that -- tractor trailers full of illusions; magicians with guitars and ego trips -- doesn't impress me.

Pogo....that song has been out since 69 and every page i seen about them no one said anything about them ripping off any composer.....all except a fellow named Pogo...and you may not like DP.....but i have seen many a Guitar magazine holding Blackmore in pretty high regard and Keyboard Magazines doing the same with Jon Lord....and lots of 80's musicians naming them as big influences..... i dont care for Michael Jacksons stuff but i will give him a lot of credit for what he did with Music Videos in the 80's......as far as legacy,read this.....from wiki....
[snip]
and who in the hell is Mario Mendoza?....

None of that is the point Harry -- not having nor being familiar with the album I went to Wiki to find composer credits and that's what the page said, and still does. As I said I am only the messenger.

As we said these are all matters of personal taste; DP never impressed me but your mileage may vary.

Mario Mendoza is the source for the phrase "the Mendoza Line", that being the level of competence that is just barely enough to be in the big leagues (he was a shortstop). If you're below the Mendoza Line, you don't belong on stage. If you're at the Mendoza Line, you're teetering on the edge. :)
well you were the one who said they were plagiarizing when they were not.......:D

I think they were okay, but not great, so IMO they really don't belong in the HOF. Of course everyone is going to be angry when a band they really like is overlooked, but not every band can be in the HOF. Of course, Madonna, et al. don't belong in the Rock and Roll HOF either though. I don't think some of the judges know what Rock and Roll is. Lol!
To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence. We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction ......

Maiden fits that as far as hard rock goes.....Madonna doesnt....she is very influential as far as dress goes....but musical excellence?.....

I have no interest whatsoever in "dress" or what she does with it, but strictly from a musical standpoint, I know it'll be unpopular but, yeah I for one respect what she put together. We could spend all night listing worse.
i feel about her "musical" contribution the way you do about DP....

I like some Iron Maiden songs, but I don't know if they are Hall of Fame worthy. Out of curiosity, for what reasons do people think they deserve to be in the HOF?

I agree. Are they more worthy than Def Leppard? Bon Jovi? Motley Crue? Scorpions?

I would put Judas Priest in before any of those bands, or Iron Maiden.
Bon Jovi?.....we are talking about hard rock here.....not "pretty" rock.....

I agree. Are they more worthy than Def Leppard? Bon Jovi? Motley Crue? Scorpions?

I like Bon Jovi! :biggrin: You know you like them too. You just won't admit to it!

I have no interest whatsoever in "dress" or what she does with it, but strictly from a musical standpoint, I know it'll be unpopular but, yeah I for one respect what she put together. We could spend all night listing worse.

Of course all these judgments are personal but it also includes the component of one's personal journey in life -- I think when Deep Purple hit the scene was coincident with the time I thought about what I was hearing and became aware that rock had stopped being original and was now embarking on derivative hackneyed cliché.

-- Which I guess is what's now called "metal". :D

I like Bon Jovi! :biggrin: You know you like them too. You just won't admit to it!
no.....i do not care for those guys.....i like hard rock.....the people i hung with would have kicked me out of the house if i wanted to play that group.....and take away my headbangers card.....and then laughed at me and called me a pussy....:eek:

Of course all these judgments are personal but it also includes the component of one's personal journey in life -- I think when Deep Purple hit the scene was coincident with the time I thought about what I was hearing and became aware that rock had stopped being original and was now embarking on derivative hackneyed cliché.

-- Which I guess is what's now called "metal". :D
to me its all "Hard" Rock.....

no.....i do not care for those guys.....i like hard rock.....the people i hung with would have kicked me out of the house if i wanted to play that group.....and take away my headbangers card.....and then laughed at me and called me a pussy....:eek:

Ah yes, that would be testoterone rock.

:lol: Come on, everybody likes this song, I don't care who you are! "I've seen a million faces, and I've ROCKED them all!" Yeah! Woo-hoo! Lol! :wink_2:

:lol: Come on, everybody likes this song, I don't care who you are! "I've seen a million faces, and I've ROCKED them all!" Yeah! Woo-hoo! Lol! :wink_2:

sorry......

sorry......

It's the theme song to the movie Young Guns!!! Good movie, and that is a good song. What's not to like? Oh, it's only "manly" to like certain kinds of music, I guess. :rolleyes-41:

sorry......

It's the theme song to the movie Young Guns!!! Good movie, and that is a good song. What's not to like? Oh, it's only "manly" to like certain kinds of music, I guess. :rolleyes-41:

sorry......

you said it....not me.....:D

Forum List

Back