Iraq army launches offensive to retake Tikrit from Isis

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
Thousands of troops backed by tanks and air power are trying to dislodge Isis-led rebels who took the city two weeks ago in a lightning offensive that also captured the second city, Mosul.

The success of the offensive is so far unclear and there is no word on casualties.
One Iraqi official told Associated Press (AP) progress was slow.
However, army spokesman Lt-Gen Sabah Fatlawi told AFP news agency: "Isis fighters now have two choices - flee or be killed."

Residents said militants were still patrolling the city.
One citizen, Muhamad Saif al-Din, told AP the city had become a "ghost town" as people fled in fear of extensive fighting.
BBC News - Iraq army launches offensive to retake Tikrit from Isis
Well, a good start. I am sure the Iraqi soldiers are motivated as they saw the inhumanity of ISIS but they need to be careful. We know about the methods the terrorists use.

Last edited:
Hopefully this operation succeeds as that will be good for motivation after the shocking losses of two weeks ago. Together with the Kurdish Peshmurga, I think the Iraqi army could clear the rest of Salhadin Province, Kirkuk Province and Diyalla Province over the next month. I think Al Anbar and Ninivah will take more time. The Iraqi Army will also get more support from the Sunni tribes if Nuri Al Maliki is really forced to step down by Tuesday. The Shia Cleric, Ali Sistani, is pushing the Iraqi government to seat all the new heads of state by Tuesday.

Forum List

Back