Iran Air takes delivery of its first of 100 Airbus aircraft

A rocket is a missile.
Quite right.
What is the difference between a 'rocket' and a 'missile'
Someone pointed out on the BBC News that the Malaysian plane was hit not by a 'rocket' but by a 'missile'. From the dictionary definitions I have looked up I cannot tell the difference.
Missile An object which is forcibly propelled at a target, either by hand or from a mechanical weapon.
Rocket a cylindrical projectile that can be propelled to a great height or distance by the combustion of its contents...
Oxford Dictionary of English
Is it therefore the case that a rocket is always a missile, but that a missile is not necessarily a rocket? A cricket ball can be regarded as a missile but is clearly not a rocket. But why could the type of weapon which it is believed brought down Flight MH17 not be described as a 'rocket'?
A model rocket, also known as low power rocket, is a small rocket designed to reach low altitudes (usually to around 100–500 m (330–1,640 ft) for a 30 g (1.1 oz) model) and recovered by a variety of means.

Model rocket - Wikipedia
Since he did say that he worked on missiles when he was younger, I stand corrected. I apologize for saying you were wrong. A model rocket would be considered a missile.

Forum List

Back