InvestigateTV: 'Measure of Hate' documentary explores the undercounting of crimes in America

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I was just getting ready to turn off the T.V. and turn in for the night because I was starting to doze off when I heard a topic being discussed that I myself had raised to a group of my peers less than 2 weeks ago. I'm too sleepy to do this subject justice at the moment but hope some of you can and will get it started and I will return tomorrow and add my contribution.

The thing that caught my attention was hearing my own words (paraphrased) indicating that neglecting to collect/include all pertinent data in government databases skews the statistics that are based on that data and/or presents an inaccurate portrayal or perspective of the actual situation. Decisions are then made, including funding for police agencies on this inaccurate portrayal that doesn't equitably and accurately represent everyone. I have stated this exact thing many times before therefore it's particularly gratifying to hear someone else, particularly of this caliber validating my position. By the way Gray Television won an award for this documentary:

"Police departments amend records after InvestigateTV shows serious crimes left out of federal records

By Lee Zurik and Jamie Grey | August 9, 2019 at 2:19 PM EDT - Updated August 14 at 4:30 PM

(InvestigateTV) - Following months of investigation, the team at InvestigateTV found numerous serious hate crimes left out of a federal database of hate crimes. The FBI maintains the data; however the FBI itself does not report its own crimes.

The failure of the FBI to report is against the law; Congress mandated that all federal law enforcement agencies report their crimes to the data collection. The cases the FBI has failed to report to the database include murders and bombings.

In addition to exploring the issues with non-reporting agencies, this documentary examines weak hate crime laws and why prosecutors are frustrated when they try to press charges.

Finally, Measure of Hate shows results. After InvestigateTV asked local departments about specific crimes left out of the numbers, some of them amended their records to ensure more accurate counting.

Copyright 2019 InvestigateTV and Gray Television Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
https://www.mysuncoast.com/2019/08/09/measure-hate-documentary-explores-undercounting-crimes-america/"

I was just getting ready to turn off the T.V. and turn in for the night because I was starting to doze off when I heard a topic being discussed that I myself had raised to a group of my peers less than 2 weeks ago. I'm too sleepy to do this subject justice at the moment but hope some of you can and will get it started and I will return tomorrow and add my contribution.

The thing that caught my attention was hearing my own words (paraphrased) indicating that neglecting to collect/include all pertinent data in government databases skews the statistics that are based on that data and/or presents an inaccurate portrayal or perspective of the actual situation. Decisions are then made, including funding for police agencies on this inaccurate portrayal that doesn't equitably and accurately represent everyone. I have stated this exact thing many times before therefore it's particularly gratifying to hear someone else, particularly of this caliber validating my position. By the way Gray Television won an award for this documentary:

"Police departments amend records after InvestigateTV shows serious crimes left out of federal records

By Lee Zurik and Jamie Grey | August 9, 2019 at 2:19 PM EDT - Updated August 14 at 4:30 PM

(InvestigateTV) - Following months of investigation, the team at InvestigateTV found numerous serious hate crimes left out of a federal database of hate crimes. The FBI maintains the data; however the FBI itself does not report its own crimes.

The failure of the FBI to report is against the law; Congress mandated that all federal law enforcement agencies report their crimes to the data collection. The cases the FBI has failed to report to the database include murders and bombings.

In addition to exploring the issues with non-reporting agencies, this documentary examines weak hate crime laws and why prosecutors are frustrated when they try to press charges.

Finally, Measure of Hate shows results. After InvestigateTV asked local departments about specific crimes left out of the numbers, some of them amended their records to ensure more accurate counting.

Copyright 2019 InvestigateTV and Gray Television Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
https://www.mysuncoast.com/2019/08/09/measure-hate-documentary-explores-undercounting-crimes-america/"
Quite frankly, hate crime data is so fraught with the biases of the prosecutors and data gatherers that I'm not sure why people take the stat so seriously in the first place.

Then again, my bias is that these laws, due to the irregularity and potential bias with which the motivation of hate is determined, have a tendency to create uneven legal protection for different individuals, so I've never been a fan of this sort of thing in the first place.

Interesting set of articles, though. The InvestigateTV article definitely pointed out some cases who's lack of hate crime classification was hardcore egregious. The first anecdote, however, about the autistic girl. . . I'm not sure that one qualifies. I don't understand how you'd lock down the argument that she was locked up and abused because the family hated her for her disability, and not simply because they were generally sick fucks and her autism created the opportunity to control her easily relative to someone who wasn't similarly afflicted. It's the push for seemingly ambiguous cases such as this to be classified as hate-inspired that make me dubious of the entire setup, though I must admit that the article wasn't super specific, so the smoking gun evidence that proves the emotional motivation might simply have been overlooked in favor of the more sensational details of the brutality that poor woman endured.

We do need to expose the black communities constant hate crimes against jews. It is rampant and never reported. Hopefully a lot of people will see this show.

The fact that they combine hispanics and whites into a single group so as to not make the difference between whites and blacks even wider, is a hate crime towards whites.

Forum List

Back