Insurance giant State Farm to stop insuring new homes in California, citing catastrophic wildfires, rebuild costs

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
State Farm said Friday, May 26, that it will stop accepting new applications for property and casualty insurance in California, citing rising construction costs and its “rapidly growing catastrophe exposure.”

The policy change for personal and business lines is effective Saturday, May 27, State Farm said. The change does not apply to personal auto insurance or existing home insurance policies in the state.

In a statement, the company said it would work with the California Department of Insurance to restore its market capacity in the state.

“We take seriously our responsibility to manage risk,” the company wrote. “However, it’s necessary to take these actions now to improve the company’s financial strength.”

State Farm holds the largest share of property and casualty insurance policies in the U.S. and controls about 8.3% of California’s market, writing at least $7 billion in premiums, according to 2021 data compiled by the state.

The state of CA has been trying to force additional risk coverage without protections on carriers for absurdly priced homes. Add in the absurd pricing by contractors and builders for repairs, the assumed risk by the homeowners is their own now.

I know insurance is despised in many situations, but the people that knowingly built these homes in areas that catch fire every year are basically expecting losses to occur.

It's almost failure to mitigate by putting themselves in the situation as they reasonably expect it to happen. Sudden and accidental is one thing, but sudden, accidental, and predicted is another.

Shoulda stopped building houses out of wood decades ago. My cousin lives in Florida in a small cinder block home. Whenever there is a big storm coming all her friends ride it out in her house.

Shoulda stopped building houses out of wood decades ago. My cousin lives in Florida in a small cinder block home. Whenever there is a big storm coming all her friends ride it out in her house.
Single level block homes were a thing back in the day in the Homestead area....Even the interior walls were cinderblock.

Single level block homes were a thing back in the day in the Homestead area....Even the interior walls were cinderblock.
Today they're 'printing' concrete buildings.

Been building houses on the gulf coast for nearly 25 years now. Wood houses are as good as anything else as long as they are built right. Block houses succumb to floods faster than any other kind.

Been building houses on the gulf coast for nearly 25 years now. Wood houses are as good as anything else as long as they are built right. Block houses succumb to floods faster than any other kind.
Based on the catastrophic damage seen from hurricanes and tornadoes very few are 'built right'. :(

If I ever built a house, I would consider reinforced poured concrete.

Last edited:
My Mountain Home Household insurance was 423.00$ a month . They eventually Dumped us , we could have begged them to keep us ( even @ 500.00$ to 600.00$ a mo . And they would have declined

Based on the catastrophic damage seen from hurricanes and tornadoes very few are 'built right'. :(
Nothing really stands up to a catastrophic storm surge. That being said none of the ones I have built went down in Micheal a few years ago.

Nothing really stands up to a catastrophic storm surge. That being said none of the ones I have built went down in Micheal a few years ago.
I was thinking more of inland structures where tornadoes do lots of damage.

State Farm said Friday, May 26, that it will stop accepting new applications for property and casualty insurance in California, citing rising construction costs and its “rapidly growing catastrophe exposure.”

The policy change for personal and business lines is effective Saturday, May 27, State Farm said. The change does not apply to personal auto insurance or existing home insurance policies in the state.

In a statement, the company said it would work with the California Department of Insurance to restore its market capacity in the state.

“We take seriously our responsibility to manage risk,” the company wrote. “However, it’s necessary to take these actions now to improve the company’s financial strength.”

State Farm holds the largest share of property and casualty insurance policies in the U.S. and controls about 8.3% of California’s market, writing at least $7 billion in premiums, according to 2021 data compiled by the state.

The state of CA has been trying to force additional risk coverage without protections on carriers for absurdly priced homes. Add in the absurd pricing by contractors and builders for repairs, the assumed risk by the homeowners is their own now.

I know insurance is despised in many situations, but the people that knowingly built these homes in areas that catch fire every year are basically expecting losses to occur.

It's almost failure to mitigate by putting themselves in the situation as they reasonably expect it to happen. Sudden and accidental is one thing, but sudden, accidental, and predicted is another.
I think it is time to stop subsidizing those who choose to build or, more likely rebuild, in high risk areas.

At least this is the public statements.....

The truth is the PITA and problems with regulation that makes it impossible for them to make a profit. State Farm will actually refund premiums during good years (nfp insurance)
Homeowners policies in CA are a drain on their entire network.

If it was just a matter of costs....they just raise rates. But in truth it isn't.

Forum List

Back