Instant pot...

We are disappointed in it. All the hype about it cooking great meals, is just that. I’ll probably give mine to someone.

The Bonz got me one, I have talked about getting one for a while. I got one!
Time to investigate...

They're alright.
We use it mainly to hard boil eggs because they peel easier when cooked under pressure.
My biggest problem with using a pressure cooker is the food doesnt have time to develop flavor.
Put your eggs in the water after the water is boiling. When you take the eggs off the heat, dump 'em into another pan of ice water for a few minutes.

They'll peel.

In theory it is more a space saver than anything magical. I use it for small batch canning but that is it mostly

Time to investigate...

They're alright.
We use it mainly to hard boil eggs because they peel easier when cooked under pressure.
My biggest problem with using a pressure cooker is the food doesnt have time to develop flavor.
Put your eggs in the water after the water is boiling. When you take the eggs off the heat, dump 'em into another pan of ice water for a few minutes.

They'll peel.

We've tried every method under the sun and fresh eggs still dont peel worth a shit.
The instant pot has been the most successful method so far.

Time to investigate...

They're alright.

They'll peel.

We've tried every method under the sun and fresh eggs still dont peel worth a shit.
The instant pot has been the most successful method so far.
Terrific, I don't have your problem.

First use:
Thick cut pork chops with carrots/scallions/potatoes in a Marsala/Rosemary sauce.

PROS/CONS/EXPERIENCE

1) Saute setting to brown chops.... the pot only took a couple minutes tops to be hot enough. It seared the chops evenly and quite well. CON - the bottom of the vessel is concave. Not a fan of that. The fat runs to the edges, therefore requiring you to occasionally move the chops around to get the fat under them.
2) I then put in the scallions and diagonal cut carrots, rosemary/butter/marsala wine to cook the wine out and reduce. - no comments really, worked equally as well as in a pan over fire.
3) Placed the chops back in, potatoes. I looked at at least 7-8 youtube vids on how long to cook the chops. Horrible information out there...anywhere from 8 minutes to 25 minutes which would obliterate them (25 mins). Since these were 1" thick cut, bone in I settled on 12 minutes. MISTAKE. After it was finished the chops were beyond well done. 183 degrees. NEXT TIME - 7 minutes. - **NOTE** I was worried about this at the start, it took the vessel about 3 minutes to pressurize before the clock started, during that period the chops are sitting in boiling hot liquid. NO recipe mentioned this fact.
4) The sauce came out very well, carrots/potatoes also overcooked... little too soft, however shortening the time will also take care of that.

IN A NUTSHELL.... next time with this dish, I will be able to make 1" thick cut chops, carrots/potatoes/sauce - in one vessel... including saute time in about 20 minutes. That is son of a bitch fast. And the quality is quite good.

If you haven't seen in this forum, I am a very experienced home chef that has also catered public events several-several times. I know good food, I know good cooking. Just sayin....

First use:
Thick cut pork chops with carrots/scallions/potatoes in a Marsala/Rosemary sauce.

PROS/CONS/EXPERIENCE

1) Saute setting to brown chops.... the pot only took a couple minutes tops to be hot enough. It seared the chops evenly and quite well. CON - the bottom of the vessel is concave. Not a fan of that. The fat runs to the edges, therefore requiring you to occasionally move the chops around to get the fat under them.
2) I then put in the scallions and diagonal cut carrots, rosemary/butter/marsala wine to cook the wine out and reduce. - no comments really, worked equally as well as in a pan over fire.
3) Placed the chops back in, potatoes. I looked at at least 7-8 youtube vids on how long to cook the chops. Horrible information out there...anywhere from 8 minutes to 25 minutes which would obliterate them (25 mins). Since these were 1" thick cut, bone in I settled on 12 minutes. MISTAKE. After it was finished the chops were beyond well done. 183 degrees. NEXT TIME - 7 minutes. - **NOTE** I was worried about this at the start, it took the vessel about 3 minutes to pressurize before the clock started, during that period the chops are sitting in boiling hot liquid. NO recipe mentioned this fact.
4) The sauce came out very well, carrots/potatoes also overcooked... little too soft, however shortening the time will also take care of that.

IN A NUTSHELL.... next time with this dish, I will be able to make 1" thick cut chops, carrots/potatoes/sauce - in one vessel... including saute time in about 20 minutes. That is son of a bitch fast. And the quality is quite good.

If you haven't seen in this forum, I am a very experienced home chef that has also catered public events several-several times. I know good food, I know good cooking. Just sayin....

It's like anything else in the cooking world.
If you've never done it there's a learning curve.
Personally being retired I dont need to fast cook anything.
And like I said,not having time to let the flavors develop is my biggest beef with pressure cooking.
Sure it has its place,but not so much in my kitchen when a le creuset dutch oven will produce a much better product.

First use:

PROS/CONS/EXPERIENCE

It's like anything else in the cooking world.
If you've never done it there's a learning curve.
Personally being retired I dont need to fast cook anything.
And like I said,not having time to let the flavors develop is my biggest beef with pressure cooking.
Sure it has its place,but not so much in my kitchen when a le creuset dutch oven will produce a much better product.

Absolutely agree, I have no intention of making dishes that need to develop flavors, stews etc. Nor will I make pasta dishes in it... I am very picky with al-dente pasta. But thinks like chops, especially being able to cook all in one vessel by stacking (I cooked the potatoes out of the sauce stacked on top of the chops) - this invites the ability to simultaneously cook foods without 6 different pots.

Time to investigate...

We use our a LOT. Great time saver and cooks delicious food.

My only complaint is that the controls are not intuitive. But once you learn, its a piece of cake.

Time to investigate...

My only complaint is that the controls are not intuitive. But once you learn, its a piece of cake.

The controls do suck thats for sure.
We dont use ours that often and have to breakout the instructions everytime.

Time to investigate...

We have a couple of cookbooks that are specifically for Instant-Pots. Or I do a search online for something I want to cook.

I discovered creamed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes when we are eating low carb. 1 head of cauliflower, 1/2 cup of broth, 4 garlic cloves and a few pieces of rosemary. Let it steam for 15 mins. Add butter, sour cream, parm, a spoon full of mayo and use an immersion blender on it. Delicious!

Time to investigate...

We have a couple of cookbooks that are specifically for Instant-Pots. Or I do a search online for something I want to cook.

I discovered creamed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes when we are eating low carb. 1 head of cauliflower, 1/2 cup of broth, 4 garlic cloves and a few pieces of rosemary. Let it steam for 15 mins. Add butter, sour cream, parm, a spoon full of mayo and use an immersion blender on it. Delicious!
Cauliflower another of many vegetables Americans tend to ignore that have a lot of potential. Cauliflower is also great as a natural thickener.
I make mine close to yours but use thyme instead of rosemary.

Time to investigate...

Cauliflower another of many vegetables Americans tend to ignore that have a lot of potential. Cauliflower is also great as a natural thickener.
I make mine close to yours but use thyme instead of rosemary.

My mistake. I use thyme in mine as well. I only remember because I bought thyme, and I have a rosemary bush that provides us with fresh rosemary.

Made 2 chicken quarters, some potatoes and carrots, added rosemary, butter, s&p, lemon zest and enough water to pressure cook.
Very good. This thing cooks vegetables perfect, and the chicken was flavorful all the way through due to the pressure.

DOWNSIDE... decided to make beef stew in it. It was okay, beef was tender, vegetables perfect...but... the flavor wasn't there. Stews need time to develop.

Forum List

Back