Are there any Chefs here, or has anyone been to cooking school?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
I am pondering going to cooking school. I'll be retiring in 3 years and I want to do something completely different. Something fun and I like to cook already.

I'm not thinking about becoming a chef, too much work and I'm going to be retired. I just want to be able to create dishes of my own. I want to learn what to do if my dish contains say, cauliflower. What kind of spices go well with that or what meats or other vegetables.

Anyone here able to do that now?

I suggest you try the Trump School of Cooking method. Squirt Ketchup, and mustard on the bun, add a pickle slice, and wrap it in paper. You can't go wrong.

Turmeric and cauliflower are quire a wonderful pairing.

I like to cook but no professional training. My youngest did take a course for about a year, more as getting out of the regular classroom than any serious interest. I do it 'by guess and by golly'. If you're doing it for the enjoyment and not for a lifelong career move....I'd say maybe take a class thru a local community college or something, just to get the basics & see if that helps....a night or two per week for a few weeks. If you don't want to do that, watch cooking shows or YouTube, then practice in your own kitchen.

There's been plenty of times I'll start with a new recipe, adding &/or subtracting from it as I go and end up with something completely different. There's even been a few times I've started completely blind going in with just what I have on hand and winging it. Sometimes it's great, other times it's not. If you do this, make sure you keep track of what you've done, so if it turns out to be a keeper you'll know what you did and can make it again.

IF you are looking to go 'professional', make sure to get a food handlers permit And in any case, have fun with it

I am pondering going to cooking school. I'll be retiring in 3 years and I want to do something completely different. Something fun and I like to cook already.

I'm not thinking about becoming a chef, too much work and I'm going to be retired. I just want to be able to create dishes of my own. I want to learn what to do if my dish contains say, cauliflower. What kind of spices go well with that or what meats or other vegetables.

YouTube has plenty of cooking videos.

very nutritious and very yellow-----but you need a bit more of FLAVORS.-----of course---if you are a Buddhist monk------and very hungry,,,,,,,,

Yes. You should start with assessing what is available in your area and try cooking classes and/or cooking vacation packages instead of culinary school so you can skip the exciting world of Gastronomy 101, Food Safety, etc.

very nutritious and very yellow-----but you need a bit more of FLAVORS.-----of course---if you are a Buddhist monk------and very hungry,,,,,,,,

Add coconut milk, loads of chili paste, and a few dashes of garam masala to make an excellent soup.

for the record---"GARAM MASALA" is a mixture of a whole bunch of spices.
Turmeric is a bit bitter ----and that's about it----it is also VERY YELLOW---
and-------the word on the street is CHOCK FULL OF ANTOXIDANTS--
it is even used as a preservative

I've taken a few lessons, but mostly self-taught.

The key is too cook for family, less complaints.

Yep. I'm semi-retired and decided to learn gourmet cooking. Actually I got serious about when I became an empty nester.

This is a must read. After I got it from the library and read it I decided to buy my own copy.

The Great meat cookbook : everything you need to know to buy and cook today's meat / Bruce Aidells

600+ pages of small print. Lots of info for anyone serious about cooking.

Last edited:

YouTube has plenty of cooking videos.

Instructional type videos or specific recipe videos?

That may depend on the family...….mine are very critical and if they don't like what I've spent all day preparing I tell em to eat it or wear it :mad:

That may depend on the family...….mine are very critical and if they don't like what I've spent all day preparing I tell em to eat it or wear it :mad:

My grandfather actually pays for the raw materials every sunday.

I do a cauliflower puree that a lot of people like but my personal favorite way to cook it for my own consumption is to coat with tempura batter, lightly fry and then finish in the oven until it is golden brown.

Easy Cheesy Loaded Cauliflower Casserole Recipe - Delish.com

Cauliflower with a creamy cheese sauce & bacon is wunnerful, just wunnerful

I like to whip the cauliflower with fresh chives and it serve it like mashed potatoes. You get all the warmth from the dish, but with fewer calories.

I cook an entire head of cauliflower in an Insta-Pot, then add butter, shredded parm, sour cream and a spoonful of mayo. I think it is better than mashed potatoes for some meals, and none of the carbs associated with potatoes.

Forum List

Back