Indep Truckers don't want to be employees and Teamsters

Being an independent trucker these days is like a trap. You're still hauling for a single company but you buy your truck from them and pay for maintenance. Few ever really pay it off in the long run because no one can run six days a week for ten years without something happening. Getting sick, getting in an accident and boom, the truck goes back and you have nothing.

Being an independent trucker these days is like a trap. You're still hauling for a single company but you buy your truck from them and pay for maintenance. Few ever really pay it off in the long run because no one can run six days a week for ten years without something happening. Getting sick, getting in an accident and boom, the truck goes back and you have nothing.
Yet these guys don't want to be employees but remain indep contractors. There's a guy at the gym who lifts a lot (trying to keep things working) who's a retired trucker. I may ask him. I don't like to mention any politics but just asking a friendly question might work. Nice guy.

Yet these guys don't want to be employees but remain indep contractors. There's a guy at the gym who lifts a lot (trying to keep things working) who's a retired trucker. I may ask him. I don't like to mention any politics but just asking a friendly question might work. Nice guy.
There's really no such thing as truly independent haulers anymore. Hasn't been for years. The only way to do it and still make money you can save is to abandon having a home and live in your truck and haul everyday. My brother did it for twenty-five years. When he died on the side of the interstate in California, friendless and penniless, I had to pay for the cremation. It's an empty, lonely life for a trucker enslaved to his truck.

Forum List

Back