In Post-Roe World, These Conservatives Embrace a New Kind of Welfare

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
‘Sending cash to parents, with few strings attached. Expanding Medicaid. Providing child care subsidies to families earning six figures.

The ideas may sound like part of a progressive platform. But they are from an influential group of conservative intellectuals with a direct line to elected politicians. They hope to represent the future of a post-Trump Republican Party — if only, they say, their fellow travelers would abandon Reaganomics once and for all.

These conservatives generally oppose abortion rights. They’re eager to promote marriage, worried about the nation’s declining fertility rate and often resist the trans rights movement.

But they also acknowledge that with abortion now illegal or tightly restricted in half the states, more babies will be born to parents struggling to pay for the basics — rent, health care, groceries and child care — when prices are high and child care slots scarce.

“A full-spectrum family policy has to be about encouraging and supporting people in getting married and starting families,” said Oren Cass, executive director of the American Compass think tank. “It has to be pro-life, but also supportive of those families as they are trying to raise kids in an economic environment where that has become a lot harder to do.”

The idea of spending heavily on family benefits remains an outlier within the Republican Party, which only recently rejected Democrats’ attempts to extend pandemic-era child tax credits.

But a number of conservative members of Congress have embraced new benefits for parents, including Mr. Cass’s former boss, Senator Mitt Romney of Utah, as well as the senators Marco Rubio of Florida, Josh Hawley of Missouri and J.D. Vance of Ohio.’

Conservatives wouldn’t have this problem, of course, if they were just consistent with rightist dogma, in this case small government/less government: respecting the privacy and reproductive rights of women.

But here we see where conservatives are not only advocates of big government/more government at the expense of individual liberty by compelling women to give birth against their will through force of law, they’re also advocating for big government/more government to promote public assistance and welfare programs.

‘Sending cash to parents, with few strings attached. Expanding Medicaid. Providing child care subsidies to families earning six figures.

The ideas may sound like part of a progressive platform. But they are from an influential group of conservative intellectuals with a direct line to elected politicians. They hope to represent the future of a post-Trump Republican Party — if only, they say, their fellow travelers would abandon Reaganomics once and for all.

These conservatives generally oppose abortion rights. They’re eager to promote marriage, worried about the nation’s declining fertility rate and often resist the trans rights movement.

But they also acknowledge that with abortion now illegal or tightly restricted in half the states, more babies will be born to parents struggling to pay for the basics — rent, health care, groceries and child care — when prices are high and child care slots scarce.

“A full-spectrum family policy has to be about encouraging and supporting people in getting married and starting families,” said Oren Cass, executive director of the American Compass think tank. “It has to be pro-life, but also supportive of those families as they are trying to raise kids in an economic environment where that has become a lot harder to do.”

The idea of spending heavily on family benefits remains an outlier within the Republican Party, which only recently rejected Democrats’ attempts to extend pandemic-era child tax credits.

But a number of conservative members of Congress have embraced new benefits for parents, including Mr. Cass’s former boss, Senator Mitt Romney of Utah, as well as the senators Marco Rubio of Florida, Josh Hawley of Missouri and J.D. Vance of Ohio.’

Conservatives wouldn’t have this problem, of course, if they were just consistent with rightist dogma, in this case small government/less government: respecting the privacy and reproductive rights of women.

But here we see where conservatives are not only advocates of big government/more government at the expense of individual liberty by compelling women to give birth against their will through force of law, they’re also advocating for big government/more government to promote public assistance and welfare programs.
It's hard for me not to see this as a step in the right direction.
At the very least, it's a refreshing change from the attitude of concern for the fetus right up until it's born..and then vilification as welfare baby and an attitude of, that's the parent's problem once the baby is born~

However, a person's absolute right to sovereignty over their bodies requires the right to terminate pregnancy, at least in the early stages. No matter how morally repugnant one might find it. We should give free rein to the 'morning-after' pill and early intervention, as well as free contraception.

But I cannot find helping parents, especially poor ones, to be a bad thing.

I bet that there are many indeed on the Right, who do.

Last edited:
You exercise the freedom to open your legs and get pregnant, then exercise the freedom to find a way to pay for your own abortion if you don't like the outcome!
Rape and incest not included, of course.

You exercise the freedom to open your legs and get pregnant, then exercise the freedom to find a way to pay for your own abortion if you don't like the outcome!
Rape and incest not included, of course.
Indeed, so, it's all on the woman eh? I would think halfsies on the expenses, at the least.

I've always been of the opinion that, if a man wears a condom every time, unless children are desired, solves 95% of this problem. I taught my sons that men have the right to choose--the first right, as it were. If we stepped up, how many abortions would never take place?

Just sayin'~

Indeed, so, it's all on the woman eh? I would think halfsies on the expenses, at the least.

I've always been of the opinion that, if a man wears a condom every time, unless children are desired, solves 95% of this problem. I taught my sons that men have the right to choose--the first right, as it were. If we stepped up, how many abortions would never take place?

Just sayin'~

The woman can always require a condom.
Afterall, she's the cum-catcher.

The woman can always require a condom.
Afterall, she's the cum-catcher.
Nice..you're a real winner, aren't you? Men routinely wearing a condom....even when the woman doesn't require it, is the more moral, and effective, way---not that that's an issue with you, I suspect.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but women aren't being forced to have babies against their will. Once they've agreed to have sexual intercourse with a man, they've made their choice to have a baby.
No..they have not. They've left themselves open to it happening though, that's true. Unless a condom is used. How about that? Contraception OK...or does that piss God off or something?

Women are often, too often, forced to have a child against their will. Not so much these days, and that's a good thing. But, there are many types of coercion--and a 16 year old kid who's pregnant is subject to most of them.

LOL! Nice segue eh? Derailing the thread again? Nothing to say about the OP?

BlueHand.jpg
LIBERAL TRANSLATION: Damn! Walked right into a vaccine question I obviously didn't expect and don't have any answer for! If you have no control over the shots you get, then you DON'T have control over your own body.

View attachment 755793LIBERAL TRANSLATION: Damn! Walked right into a vaccine question I obviously didn't expect and don't have any answer for! If you have no control over the shots you get, then you DON'T have control over your own body.
***yawn***
The topic...has nothing to do with that. As a response to my post..it was lame. I got what you meant..I just chose not to address it..in the hope you might have something to say about the topic.
No one is being held down and forced to vaxx. All vaccines come with risk. Public health balances that risk with the greater one--pandemic. The numbers justify the risk.
Please spare us all the litany of BS you have ginned up for this subject..we've all heard it.

This thread is about the Republican party perhaps extending the concept of family values in a direction that makes it more comfortable for a woman who might abort, to decide instead to bear a child.

To wit, shall we, as a culture and as a Govt. insure that families will thrive..despite poverty and poor living conditions?

The topic...has nothing to do with that.

And ain't that a good thing because you'd otherwise never want to talk about it because if you could halfway spin it into a positive for Biden, we couldn't shut you up about it! But you can't spin it as a positive so instead you ignore state rights to set abortion laws, just as they set driving laws, vaccine laws and every other law which does not fall outside a state's right. In fact, ALL laws are state rights except those few which the states give up to the Fed and abortion isn't one of them.

I'm sorry, but women aren't being forced to have babies against their will. Once they've agreed to have sexual intercourse with a man, they've made their choice to have a baby.
‘Small government’ is far much more than just reckless, irresponsible tax cuts and deregulation.

Small government is also the state not interfering in citizens’ personal, private lives – such as whether to have a child or not.

If conservatives were consistent and comprehensive in their application of rightist ‘small government’ dogma, they wouldn’t seek to increase the size and authority of the state by banning abortion at the expense of individual liberty.

First conservatives violate small government dogma with abortion bans – and they continue to violate small government dogma with their advocacy of expanding public assistance and welfare programs.

It's hard for me not to see this as a step in the right direction.
At the very least, it's a refreshing change from the attitude of concern for the fetus right up until it's born..and then vilification as welfare baby and an attitude of, that's the parent's problem once the baby is born~

However, a person's absolute right to sovereignty over their bodies requires the right to terminate pregnancy, at least in the early stages. No matter how morally repugnant one might find it. We should give free rein to the 'morning-after' pill and early intervention, as well as free contraception.

But I cannot find helping parents, especially poor ones, to be a bad thing.

I bet that there are many indeed on the Right, who do.
A step in the right direction would be for conservatives to start behaving like conservatives and stop trying to ban abortion.

Instead, they rush blindly down the rabbit hole of inconsistent hypocrisy.

Concerned about the hardships forced upon low-income working families and the wellbeing of children jeopardized the consequence of abortion bans, they advocate for welfare and public assistance programs they’d otherwise oppose.

***yawn***
The topic...has nothing to do with that. As a response to my post..it was lame. I got what you meant..I just chose not to address it..in the hope you might have something to say about the topic.
No one is being held down and forced to vaxx. All vaccines come with risk. Public health balances that risk with the greater one--pandemic. The numbers justify the risk.
Please spare us all the litany of BS you have ginned up for this subject..we've all heard it.

This thread is about the Republican party perhaps extending the concept of family values in a direction that makes it more comfortable for a woman who might abort, to decide instead to bear a child.

To wit, shall we, as a culture and as a Govt. insure that families will thrive..despite poverty and poor living conditions?
Getting even y people has not even started if it ever does. Watching people go bonkers on the Covid issue and most of us wary of it also was as stressful as we can get. Never forget. When even we can all be together. After all, that is what privileged groups are doing. All of the equity that will end up all of us ack in the horse and buggy era.

Small government is also the state not interfering in citizens’ personal, private lives – such as whether to have a child or not.
Hey dumbass? If an abortion is even possible, that means that ship has sailed, they’re a mother; they have a kid.

That private personal life bullshit you’re on about is whether or not they want to be a mother of a dead kid that they had killed.

banning abortion at the expense of individual liberty
That isn’t a concern here. Banning abortion doesn’t come at the expense of “individual liberty” at all, moron. You never had the right to attack and kill other innocent human beings, and since you think you did, we know you’re a psychopath.

Forum List

Back